Jesus Washing Osama's Feet

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jaigner, Nov 15, 2010.

1. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, should preach unto you any gospel other than that which we preached unto you, let him be anathema.
    9 As we have said before, so say I now again, if any man preacheth unto you any gospel other than that which ye received, let him be anathema. Gal 1

7 For many deceivers are gone forth into the world, even they that confess not that Jesus Christ cometh in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist.
    10 If any one cometh unto you, and bringeth not this teaching, receive him not into your house, and give him no greeting:
    11 for he that giveth him greeting partaketh in his evil works. 2 Jn

What is it that the religion of Osama bin Laden teaches about Christ? What is it that they call His church? Infidels? I reiterate from post #6; “We're told to love OUR enemies. Never are we told to love God's enemies”, and in every sense of the word it is BLASPMEMY to place the Lord of Glory at this murderous terrorist's feet.

I think I've said enough [too much] on this thread. It's difficult for me to restrain the revulsion I have for the bathetic form of Christianity I've seen many express here.

2. jaigner Active Member

I wish those of you with this opinion had actually engaged the point of this picture head-on, instead of letting a mock form of righteous anger carry the discussion.

3. blackbird Active Member

Why don't you enlighten us as to the head-on point of the picture??

4. Alive in Christ New Member

Blackbird...

That we are all sinners, who deserve (and would be sent to) hell, and eternal destruction.

And that we, as Spirit born children of God who have recieved mercy, are called to extend mercy and love to EVERYONE...for all are sinners and in need of mercy.

5. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I not only looked at the picture but I read the article and I indeed did address it head on:

“Here the phrase is used in a metaphorical sense; and is generally understood of not delivering or communicating the holy word of God, and the truths of the Gospel, comparable to pearls, or the ordinances of it, to persons notoriously vile and sinful: to men, who being violent and furious persecutors, and impudent blasphemers, are compared to "dogs"; or to such, who are scandalously vile, impure in their lives and conversations, and are therefore compared to swine;” John Gill

But it seems to me, that as the writer of the article who couldn't understand the outrage of Christians at this picture and who just brushed it off as patriotism to a country we're not really citizens of, you may be too wise in your own conceit to get it.

6. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, the message in the painting is that despots and butchers have all the privileges and honors of Christ's disciples.

7. jaigner Active Member

That's blatant omission of the very obvious point, which is that Christ came to serve and save sinners - including U.S. enemies.

8. matt wade Well-Known Member

No, Jesus came to seek and save that which was lost. You are distorting Scripture.

9. RAdam New Member

Using this to illustrate the "very obvious point" was very obviously stupid.

10. jaigner Active Member

Matt, do you have a theology or biblical studies degree? Cause if you do, you're not showing it. Just wondering.

Mark 10:45, dude. I don't usually throw around proof texts like most of you folks do, but this one pretty much sums it up.

Maybe sit a play or two out, bud. No need to troll around on [insert generic civil holiday].

11. jaigner Active Member

Chill out, dude. If you would let your emotions settle down here before answering, you might at least be able to get to the heart of the matter instead of just being inflammatory.

12. jaigner Active Member

I was thinking about this thread again the other day, and now that the initial shock has worn off, maybe we could find some other viewpoints on the issue.

My thought is that this picture is a very clear, gutsy depiction of Christ's attitude when he humbled himself and took the form of a servant.

I love it.

What do you think?

13. John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I see the work of the artist I feel that he is either trying to be controversial and inflammatory or he does not understand the reasoning of Christ washing the feet of His disciples.

Christ was about to be betrayed, arrested, tried, tortured and crucified, His earthly, physical ministry was ending. His foot washing was one of the lessons He used to prepare His disciples to carry on. He did not need the disciples to be jockeying around for position or to even elect one to take His place. Christ was showing what He had said many times before. The least will be the greatest or the first last and the last first.

I believe Jesus was showing His disciples that it is not what you do but it is why you do it. It is not the reward but the service rendered. His washing of the disciples feet had nothing to do with serving the lost but the attitude that was needed in order to correctly proceed in spreading the Gospel that He had given them.

Washing the feet of His disciples was not only about the servant but about the service.

14. jaigner Active Member

Thank you for a completely civil and well-reasoned response.

Actually, from reading many of the folks caught up in this debate, it would seem that the artist, while not shying away from controversy, is really trying to make a point about Christ's Kingdom and the example shown to his followers.

It's less about the act of foot-washing or an addendum to the biblical story as it is a reflection of a Savior who, though he was the Creator of the world and supremely sovereign, took on flesh to serve and give his life.

And I think it also demonstrates the fact that we are all sinners in need of a Savior. There's nothing inherently wrong with bin Laden or Bush or Obama or anyone else that is not also wrong with us. They are equally in need of grace.

15. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What rot! Jesus didn't wash the feet of those in need of grace. He washed the feet of those to whom it was given.

16. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jaigner, in all seriousness, why don't you repost this article with the picture as a poll to the BB members? Is it blasphemy or no?

I know what the article said the general public/Christians thought of it:

"Many people -- but, it seems, mostly Christians -- were offended at the image of Jesus washing Osama Bin Laden’s feet. There was such an outcry that each of the malls decided to go back on their contract and take the posters down."

17. Winman Active Member

This picture is really not about Jesus at all. It is about George Bush. It is painting him as a despot and butcher.

18. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tried to see what you're seeing but could not. Maybe you could point that out.

The fact is that the artist knows nothing about to whom the benefits of the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to. Period. The artist is ignorant of the Kingdom of Christ.

19. jaigner Active Member

The artist is not depicting foot-washing as a benefit of the Kingdom of Heaven. The artist is demonstrating the attitude of Christ toward sinners. Bin Laden is as worthy of Christ's service and love as you or I.

We're getting bogged down in the act of footwashing here, when really we're needing to examine the love of Christ and the attitude of service he adopted when he came to earth.

20. jaigner Active Member

We could do a poll, but a majority of BB members is not representative of a) truth or b) a general evangelical opinion. Therefore, a poll would not be particularly helpful.