1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joe Biden in Georgetown

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Adonia, Mar 11, 2018.

1. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christians refer to these things as "Sin", and we get that from God's instruction. Yes, even many (not all) "mental problems" have their origins in sin and living in perpetual sin. Hell can be said to be a giant insane asylum.

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure. I have both intellectual knowledge and experiential knowledge of sin.

Sometimes, sometimes not. Sickness of all kinds is an effect of a sinful world where things are not as they should be. Yet we don't go around condemning people who catch the flu as sinners. And some people are born with conditions that are not their fault and they bear nor blame for their situation.

I don't get the point you are trying to make. Are you against helping sinners?

3. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is racism a disease like the flu? Do people just innocently walk down the street and "catch" it?

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can walk down the street and become aware of it.

I did not learn or become aware of my own racism until a pre-adolescent living in New Orleans LA. I was chased by a group of blacks to beat me because I had inadvertently walked into their part of town.

5. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm really not following your train of thought. Seems you are casting about for some sort of way to rehabilitate your words on this thread.

Contempt for others for various reasons (ethnic background, religious views, political sentiments, etc.) is more caught than taught. If you are raised by people who hold contempt for others for certain reasons, you are likely to develop those views yourself.

The same goes for voluntarily associating yourself with a group of people. You tend to take on the prejudices and contempts of the group to whom you have given allegiance.

If you are a Christian and associate with a church that is following Christ that actively condemns contempt and prejudice, and promotes love and mercy instead, you will likely develop the characteristics of love and mercy.

That's why it is important for Christians to devote themselves to discipleship with Christ and immersion into a local expression of His church that is following Him in discipleship. It helps transform our character.

6. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've missed the point, Hank.

7. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. We are heavily influenced by our experiences.

Not really. He is in the ballpark.

8. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, we shouldn't tell racists to repent, since they are victims. They simply caught a flu, and your condemnation of a racist is akin to condemning someone with cancer, right? No. Of course you have a double standard here. Only sins which you deem acceptable are diseases.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only a fool would come to that conclusion from the words written here.

Nope.

Nope.

10. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thought so. I've hit the nail squarely on the head, and your "reply" tells me so.

11. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are really messed up if you can delude yourself that easily.

I guess all you have to contribute is insults.

Probably time for you to throw out that alt-right “soy” insult again so you can feel like a big macho man.

12. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The soy thing is science, Just as there are only two genders, and homosexuals can't reproduce, and abortion is the ending of a life.

I mention soy out of genuine concern. Too few real men in the world. Most are effeminate beta types, and that is caused by being raised by women and drinking soy milk. Be careful out there.

13. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All health problems have their origin in sin. Do you show any grace to sick people?

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've failed to make it clear Brian

15. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I show grace even to those who intentionally sin, and have done so repeatedly, for I am the most vile of sinners. What I find disagreeable, wrongheaded and unhelpful, is treating sinners as victims who had no part in their condition. Calling a drunkard an "alcoholic" isn't helpful to them or a biblical way to think about sin.

16. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just expect everyone to read my mind, Hank. Is that unreasonable? ;)

17. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it's not. You have been lied to. Your embrace of the theory identifies you are someone who hangs out with the extreme right wing fringe. Do you also use the "cuck" insult?

"Beta types" are the type of "man" that can only throw out insults and condemnation. They are tied up in their emotional weakness and feelings of inferiority.

It is a good thing to have a mother in the home, just like it is a good thing to have a father in the home. Fortunately, I had both and my character was formed by them. My father taught me that to be a man, I don't have to bully people, demean women or go along with the crowd to have self-confidence.

[quote...and drinking soy milk.[/quote]
    I never eat soy. I avoid it because I don't digest it well.

Yeah, such concern.

18. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And no one here has done so. But we must remember that there are innocent victims of sin. Children who are being forced into prostitution, for instance. Those that escape human trafficking usually end up homeless. That is a small but significant portion of the homeless population.

"Drunkards" and "alcoholics" are essentially the same thing, except that an alcoholic is generally considered to have given themselves over so much to alcohol that they cannot stop without strong intervention. No one here is saying that they are not trapped in sin.

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OH, my bad :)

20. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was not buying crack. Rich people have it
    Many are indeed victims. They are responsible for their actions, but they are victims nonetheless. Have you ever dealt with people whose mother used Cocaine while she was pregnant? They might make you rethink your harsh, judgmental views.

• Winner Winner x 1