1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John 12:32 in context

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by MB, Mar 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bible never says God only draws the chosen because all are chosen when He died for the sins of the world. Being chosen does not mean we will be saved no matter what. Other wise being chosen would be in effect Salvation and we would not be born in sin. We would be born saved.. This is the insanity of Calvinism. It's the doctrine of men. My advice; drop the Calvinism for the doctrine of Christ. The way you are now you are just plain confused
    MB

2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prove it.
    Prove it, in context.

3. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you even read the passages I posted?

Again, did you read the passages I posted?

That is not at all what that would mean.

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only in your dreams David .Your boasting is your down fall A claim of victory would only be true if you in effect changed my mind and you haven't.
    What is it you think you have proved. That the Bible is wrong and you are right Jn.12:32 still says Christ draws all. All is all inclusive just as I said from the beginning.
    MB

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prove it to you? Surely you jest.

6. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a statement of arrogance. I am only right if I convince you? We know that people will be blind to the truth 2 Timothy 4. You have not engaged with what I have said and now you personally attack me saying that I am boasting. I think you need to look up what that word means.

I have never said the Bible was wrong. And yes, the verse itself says Christ draws all. I have never disputed that. What I have disputed that is your flawed interpretation you arrive at by taking that verse out of context.

Can you not prove it?

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you not prove it? Take the case of a person of integrity, candor and intelligence. Can I prove men of flesh understand spiritual milk? Yes, just read 1 Corinthians 3:1. But could it be proved to someone else denying the verse means what it says, and claiming it means the opposite? That would be a tough row to hoe.

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course they are not the same. Are you arguing only some of the "all" are "called?" (Which only a few are chosen.)

9. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't just say prove it. I said prove it in context. I know that is a pesky little detail for some people here because they can't seem to do that.

No. Everyone receives the general call. But only a few are called and drawn by the Father Himself. Those are the chosen.

10. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's absurd!... Only sinful men limit the election of God!... Brother Glen:)

Revelation 7:9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;

7:10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, then how does that work in your understanding "will draw all" (John 12:32) against "If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him;" (John 11:48)?

12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 3:23.

13. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, context.

14. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Show scripture for you opinion. There is none. So where do you get that from? You get it from the false doctrine of Calvinism The Bible does not say only some will be drawn or chosen.Even this below according to you is not in context unless I post the whole Bible But John says.
    in JN 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
    Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
    Joh 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God..
    Take scripture for what it says or don't.
    You have no proof only some are chosen or drawn.
    MB

15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this the only word you know. I think your context plea is nonsense sense you have a Bible look it up. You haven't proved anything yet. You just scream foul, because you are unable to prove your own doctrine.
    MB

16. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh no you don't context please. None of this backs up your claims.
    MB

17. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    This proves you aren't actually reading my posts.

Does the world always mean every person? No it does not. Want me to prove it? Ok. The Super Bowl is on TV and the commentator says "The eyes of the whole world are on this moment." Does that mean that literally every person is watching the game? Nope.

Apparently you don't understand the importance of context. Let me ask you a question, though I doubt you will even engage it. What is the meaning of Matthew 7:1?

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it does. Who is doing the talking there in John 11? Not to mention the word All is not even in those verses and it talks about people groups specifically.

20. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd like to step in for Mr. Taylor for a moment...
    Obfuscation from your point of view, I'll grant that, sir.

"Then of course we have the deflection concerning the metaphorical meaning of draw"

The what? "deflection"?
    Admittedly, I had to change my mental association mode from physics / ballistics to conversational "deflection" in order to get where you're coming from...but now I understand what you're saying..."avoiding the point of".

"Metaphorical meaning of draw"?
    What's metaphorical about the word, "draw"?

Draw means "to attract".
    The Koine Greek in John 6:44 is the word, "ἑλκύσῃ" , which is transliterated as " helkó" or " elkusē", which literally means to "drag".

Strong's Greek: 1670. ἑλκύω (helkó) -- to drag

So I have no idea where you're getting your information, except outside of anything biblically associative.

I also notice that you are referencing Plato, Phaedra ( a Greek tragedy based on mythology ), Aelian ( Claudius Aelianus, a Roman teacher of rhetoric, ca. 175-235 A.D. ), false Scripture like Maccabees, Vergil ( Virgil, or Publius Vergilius Maro, ancient Roman poet ) and the only "Cf. Meyer" that I know of was Conrad Ferdinand Meyer, a Swiss poet...none of which ever professed Christ or had anything to do with Scriptural teaching...They were all secular teachers of man-made philosophy.

Question:

Am I reading the above correctly?

If so, my next question is this...
    Are you a born-again believer in Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God?
    If so, how is it that you seem to value an unbeliever's explanations of concepts about the Bible?

Not even the Greek says that.

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/joh6.pdf
    http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/joh12.pdf

#140 Dave G, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.