1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John Owens on 1 Cor 6:9-10

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by kyredneck, Dec 18, 2015.

1. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, because the Verse demands that Peter is talking about Eternal Salvation, Through Jesus Christ.

So saved isn't too bad of a word to use, particularly when we can assume if they are saved they are Born from Above.

2. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So back to my question...and i will reword it for the reformed camp...

When were these men born again? David...after the Bath-Sheba sin? Abraham...After the Lies and Hagar sin? Peter...after the denial of Jesus Christ?

This will either prove or disprove Carnal Christians or Regeneration in the Old Testament ;)

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it does not:

40 And with many other words he testified, and exhorted them, saying, Save yourselves from this crooked generation.

Educate yourself concerning 'that generation'.

4. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Jesus' Name for Salvation isn't an Eternal Justification of God's Will? Is that what you are declaring here? What other name brother can we be saved from the Penalty of our Sin?

5. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand the reference to "that generation"....but you're letting the tree's block the view of the forest.

6. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KYRedneck..

Acts 4...two part sermon...peter spoke about Christ making one WHOLE....then they went into council

7 And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, By what power, or by what name, have ye done this?

8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel,

9 If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole;

10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.

14 And beholding the man which was healed standing with them, they could say nothing against it.

15 But when they had commanded them to go aside out of the council, they conferred among themselves,

16 Saying, What shall we do to these men? for that indeed a notable miracle hath been done by them is manifest to all them that dwell in Jerusalem; and we cannot deny it.

You are doing a major injustice to Acts 4:12...would you like to repent before us all please?

7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I'm declaring Hodge's first rule of scripture interpretation:

"The Scriptures are to be taken in the sense attached to them in the age and by the people to whom they were addressed."

8. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KY...and you did a terrible Cross reference....look at Acts 2 AFTER vs. 40

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Hmmm....ok buddy

9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adam disobeyed, Abraham lied, Jacob deceived, Moses killed, Moses and Aaron disbelieved, David committed murder and adultery, Solomon gross idolatry, and so on....

God's redeemed born from above children are capable of doing everything they're told not to do in the book.

That's where the LSers like Icon get stoved up. They simply cannot accept that truth.

10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm...ok buddy, I totally miss your point.

11. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm certain we are agreed on the Carnal Christian thing...but Acts 4:12 and "saved" isn't a misuse of the word if we are talking about Justification/Rebirth.

Titus 3
    5 he saved us,not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Define precisely concisely in as few words as possible the injustice I've done to the scriptures here, and, where this passage has anything to do with the heavenly birth.

13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that God called all those names above that when, 2 Tim 4:1 the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; again appears, they will receive, the redemption of the body, fit for that kingdom, even though they had committed those stated sins, because Christ died for those sins.

Romans 4:8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

14. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll even try and do it with reformed theology in Mind...
    Acts 4:12, Declares Jesus' Eternal Salvific work Regeneration/Faith/Justification.

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He saved US. This is 'corporate', not individual. Through the washing and cleansing of the gospel WE are saved [DELIVERED] from our former vain manner of living. This is NOT in reference to the heavenly birth.

16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not reformed.

17. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're quite the mixed bag my friend. I'm going to check out. How can two walk together lest they be agreed? You have a strange way at seeing scripture.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ????

12 And in none other is there salvation: for neither is there any other name under heaven, that is given among men, wherein we must be saved. Acts 4

Where exactly do you get "Jesus' Eternal Salvific work Regeneration/Faith/Justification" from this simple passage?

You've not shown 'saved' to be synonymous with the individual heavenly birth.

19. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So is there another name or Person that causes rebirth?

20. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The man was made WHOLE...what happens to a person who is Born from above, given the Holy Spirit, Cleansed of his sin, made RIGHT with God the Father?

the passage implies a Spiritual "making whole" and that is when a person is SAVED by the Lord Jesus.