1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John Owens on 1 Cor 6:9-10

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by kyredneck, Dec 18, 2015.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you're quite the status quo synergist. Nothing extraordinary with you.

2. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look at Peters preaching...

Acts 4:7-12 And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, By what power, or by what name, have ye done this?
    Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel,
    If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole;
    Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
    This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
    Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

3. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe we can be friends :)

4. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sound familiar?
    Mark 2:5-11 When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee.
    But there were certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts,
    Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?
    And immediately when Jesus perceived in his spirit that they so reasoned within themselves, he said unto them, Why reason ye these things in your hearts?
    Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk?
    But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,)
    I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy bed, and go thy way into thine house.

5. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph Well-Known Member

Hi Brother KY,

As proven by your examples of Abraham, David, Solomon and others that come to my mind such as Rahab the harlot, and the man in fornication in the church of Corinth, saved people can commit gross sin (murder, adultery, fornication, etc.) after they are saved. Paul even said he was "carnal" in the present tense after he was saved, "For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin." (Romans 7:14). However, I avoid using the term "carnal Christian" to describe such because modern day teachers such as Zane Hodges have used that term to convey the message that one who is saved can live their entire life after becoming saved in growth continual sin (e.g. serial murderer, practicing alcoholic, serial adulterer from one affair to the next). I reject this as heresy because scripture makes it clear those who are truly saved will keep his commandments (1 John), have good works (James), repentance (the gospels). Also, a fruit tree will bear fruit. These are the effects of the cause of having the Holy Spirit live in you. To contend one can live a life in growth continual sin after being saved is basically asserting the flesh is stronger than the Spirit of God in a person, that becoming saved though it has the cause of one receiviing the Spirit may not have an effect (basically a cause without an effect). Also, there is no example in the New Testament one can point to prove a born again child of God living this way his entire life after becoming saved. Good thread topic you have started KY.

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God save sinners. I believe David was saved around the time he wrote psalm 51.
    The same with all saints....God does not hide from us their sins.
    We have a more complete understanding than they did especially before the law was expanded after the Exodus.
    God saves those at a point in time based on His timetable not ours.

7. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So people obeyed God without being born from above?

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Who said anything about that?

9. BrotherJoseph

May I ask, are you speculating that people in the OT were unregenerate? Not sure what Biblical evidence you would hope to produce that would affirm such an assertion.
    , the OT often used terminology such as God "circumcising" the heart to indicate a work regeneration: "And the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your offspring, so that you will love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live." (Deut 30:6) Being from Deuteronomy, this promise of God's working in their heart was directly to the Israelites of the time. This circumcision of the heart is really the same experience as regeneration.

The Old Testament can be likened to a seed and a branch while the NT is like the full flowering and fruit of that same branch. The root is the same plant that brings forth the fruit. There may be degrees of difference as Jesus told the disciples prior to his resurrection that the Holy Spirit was "with them" but would be (future tense) "in them" (John 14:17). There should also therefore be no confusing the filling of the Holy Spirit and the Spirit's work of regeneration. Regeneration is the Spirit's work to renew the heart ... Indwelling is referring to the Holy Spirit's positive, pervasive, abiding, covenant presence in believers through the Spirit. The OT saints had the former with only limited presence of the latter.

In 2 Chronicles chapter 30 is an example of Old Testament regeneration, when couriers with a message of repentance passed from city to city through the country of Ephraim and Manasseh, and as far as Zebulun, they laughed them to scorn and mocked them when they were called to repent, "Nevertheless some men of Asher, Manasseh and Zebulun humbled themselves and came to Jerusalem. The hand of God was also on Judah to give them one heart to do what the king and the princes commanded by the word of the LORD." (Chronicles 30:11-12)

The text says some tribes resisted the call to repentance, but only those tribes which the HAND OF GOD GAVE A HEART TO oBEY THE WORD, repented. So here is a clear instance of the Spirit of God working faith and repentance in the hearts of certain persons among Israel while leaving others to their own rebellious self-will...

#69 BrotherJoseph, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What an asinine statement. Everything he wrote beforehand that was included in the canon was as a dead alien reprobate.

Incredible. You truly have gone off the deep end.

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So you know the exact date each psalm was written?
    just like you knew John Owen was John Owens....lol

Here you go boy genius;

The first psalm of David’s that we find is Psalm 3, written when David fled from his son Absalom. From this title we surmise that David’s psalms are not organized in chronological order but rather by themes. David’s psalms are found throughout the five books of the Psalms that were likely grouped upon the completion of Psalms during the time of Ezra in the fourth century BC.
    Got questions....

As you read these Psalms, remember each of these were written by David after his affair with Bathsheba, his murder of Uriah, his encounter with Nathan, and his confession before The Lord. David pours himself out before The Lord, recognizing himself as a sinner, asking for God’s forgiveness, and eternal love. These Psalms serve to remind us that no matter what we have done God WANTS to forgive us for any and all of our sins. David did not have Jesus Christ, but today we do. WE have the honor of knowing Jesus personally and not having to have a priest stand in the gap on our behalf. Once we know Jesus…we can speak to Him and pray to HIM any time we would like….anytime.

Psalm 32 and 51 were written together. These are Penitential Psalms just as Psalm 6 was. A Penitential Psalm is to be said to confess and repent from the sins in our life. Psalm 32 was clearly written as a prayer when David was confessing his sins regarding Bathsheba and Uriah. The word “Selah,” although a musical term has a similar meaning to Amen, and means to pause, reflect, think about it.

some say this;
    ort answer: no. Read on if you want to know why.

Some Jewish and Christian traditions consider David the author of the Psalms, possibly all 150 but especially numbers 3 to 41, which are thought to comprise a collection. (They are all psalms of the individual rather than the community.) David is also credited as the author of Psalm 51 and 138-145, among others. Since David is identified as a musician and a singer in several places in the Samuel narrative, the attributions made a kind of sense.

Advertisement

But there are serious problems with this theory. UC Berkeley Hebrew professor Robert Alter says, “The Davidic authorship enshrined in Jewish and Christian tradition has no credible historical grounding. It was a regular practice in the later biblical period to ascribe new texts to famous figures of the past.” (The Book of Psalms, xv)

The superscriptions that precede each psalm (e.g. “To the leader: A Psalm of David”) were added much later, even centuries after David’s death, as a way to honor Israel’s most famous king. The Hebrew preposition “l” can, like many Hebrew words, mean a variety of different things. Often translated “of,” it can also mean “to” or “for” (a Psalm for David) or “in the manner of” (a psalm that’s like something David might have written if he were still with us; R.I.P.). In any case, the New Interpreters’ Bible commentary says that such superscriptions “do not identify the author of these compositions, but rather indicate that the psalm is to be associated with these figures in some fashion.” (p. 308)

David didn’t write the book of Psalms. In fact, David only wrote about half of the Psalms—73 out of all 150, to be precise (though the Latin Vulgate and Septuagint credit a few more to him).

He wasn’t even the one who put the whole collection together: some were written hundreds of years after he died! overview bible .com

So give me more of your genius insights...like time salvation , and other hyper cal nonsense.

12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 'carnal Christians' I've in mind are not serial murderer or adulterers (etc.) but still have the inherent desire to keep the 'golden rule':

12 All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them: for this is the law and the prophets. Mt 7

Plenty of folks around that have a deep respect towards the Son of God and have an inherent desire to do no harm to their fellow man and will not hesitate to help them when the occasion arises. They want nothing to do with the Church for the exact reason as stated in Romans 2:24.

13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How old you think David was when he was king and committed adultery with Bathsheba and had Uriah killed? He was around about sixty. You're telling me that he was a dead alien sinner prior to that? You actually expect me to believe that?

You've gone off the deep end. Seriously. I never realized just how extreme you've become till now, recently.

12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; And uphold me with a willing spirit. Ps 51

#73 kyredneck, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BrotherJoseph

I agree brother KY, David was definitely saved beforehand,

Before his affair with Bathsheba and murder of her husband scripture tells us of David,

"And David behaved himself wisely in all his ways; and the Lord was with him"" ( 1 Samuel 18:14)

Also how else, but by faith could David had declared prior to the murder and affair, " David said moreover, The Lord that delivered me out of the paw of the lion, and out of the paw of the bear, he will deliver me out of the hand of this Philistine. And Saul said unto David, Go, and the Lord be with thee." (1 Samuel 17:37)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Well, if erudite scholar Dr. James White says 'Owens':

http://vintage.aomin.org/TLetis.html

Or perhaps you've heard of Dr. Fred Malone?

http://www.fbcclintonla.com/Resources.html