1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Judge Roy Moore for Governor of Alabama

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dale-c, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Here is another article of interest:

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I didn't realise that. Could you show me that in the Alabama Law Code please.

So, what if the Chief Justice was a satanist. Could he decorate the building any way he wanted?

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Wrong.

God's law prohibits the killing of the innocent.

God's law does not requires keeping an engraven block of granite on state property, no matter what is carved on it.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Biblical law is separate from our government. We should not confuse the two. We have a constitutional representative form of government in this country, not a theocracy.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A column on Judge Moore just published today. It looks like he will not do well in the GOP primary.

www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110008436

I did not have a problem with "Roy's Rock" when it was installed and I still don't. I don't see where it violated the 1st amendment as it did not establish a religion nor interfere with the free exercise of anyone's religious practices.

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

He explained in great detail in his book that part of the office is that he is the "lessee" of the judicial building and was thus responsible for the decorating. Also, the building as I understand it was just a few years old and did't have much decoration to speak of yet.

The monument was to be installed one afternoon at 5 PM, as soon as working hours were over so there would be no physical danger to the people who worked there.
    There were delays with the delivery and it wasn't there until 9PM and thus the idea that he "sneaked it in overnight" came to be.

He does command the acknowledgement of God though.
    Read Psalm 2
    Read Exodus 20

He was removed from office because he refused to cease acknowleging God.

You can see the actual video : Here

He had an oath to keep and this he did NOT have the right to put up satanic symbols or anything else that would violate his oath.
    Funny how Christians say that he had no duty to put up the Ten Commandments as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Alabama but a federal judge had the right to remove it???

Unfortuanatly, it seems that you are right that Biblical law has been seperated from our government.
    That is not how it should be.

I am NOT advocating a theocracy by any means. But please, Ken, read Psalm 2 and Read Romans 13.

All governments, no matter how they obtain their power are still bound the punish the evil doer because they are the ministers of GOd whether they like it or not!

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) I have read the entire Bible and have taught numerous Bible classes in my lifetime.

2) I agree. [​IMG]

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

No one says Judge Moore can't acknowledge God. He can and does so all the time.

The federal judge just ruled he can't use state property to do so.

He violated the rightful decision of a federal judge. How can he expect anyone else to recognise his authority.

BTW, if the Chief Justice were a satanist, why could he not put up a pentagram if he is in charge of decoration? He becomes the "lesee" according to Roy Moore and therefore has that right.

There is no religious oath permitted for officials. He was not bound by an oath or by the word of God to put a piece of carved granite on state property.

Thankfully, he is still able to acknowledge God in every speech he gives and does so without hinderance from what I understand.

That doesn't automatically qualify him to receive my support for governor.

BTW, from my reading and studying of Romans 13 Judge Moore was bound to not resist the powers that be, because they are ordained of God. He did resist that powers that be without even the excuse that he had to obey God. God never told him to set up a monument to the ten commandments on state property.

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Actually, that was exacly what was said. He was removed from office for that very reason. GRanted he can do so in his private life, but he was prohibited from acknowledging the source of his authority. The very source the constitution of the state of Alabama acknowledges.

If had not done so, he would not only be in violation of God's law, he would have violated his oath of office.

He could have upheld his office without the monument (though the monument was not a problem) but he could not uphold his oath without acknowleding Almighy God.

So it was the federal judge and not Moore who was in violation of Romans 13.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

He was only told he could not acknowledge God in this one specific manner. He acknowledged God as Chief Justice and he does so while running for office.

Again, please tell me how he would violate God's law, which never requires the posting of the ten commandments in any public place, by obeying the court ruling.

Unless a law or court order clearly goes against the word of God we have no right to pick and choose what to obey. We must not resist the higher power, which Judge Moore did.

Like Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, when we choose to disobey the law we must be willing to suffer the consequences.

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

He said that if he resumed his duties he would acknowledge God by prayer in court etc just as he had. He would open with "God Save the state of Alabama and this Honourable court"..

He was told it matterd not WHY he would, just that he would.

Again, he was not obligated to choose the exact method of the ten comandments.
    It was within his rights and duties of his position to do so however.
    When he pressed the issue, he was successful in making the point that it was NOT about the big rock in the building but in the actual acknowledgement that there is a God who rules over all men, even wicked federal judges that rule that you can kill babies and old people and you can't acknowledge God.

To do the cowardly thing that Riley did and coply wtih an order that challenged the Godhood of God would have been a sin.
    I am not saying Riley is not a Christian. Peter denied his Lord as well.
    We all do at times but it is still sin, even when I do it.

How much clearer can you get than
    "I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
    Thou shalt have no other gods before me."?

If he had not Acknowledged God and the source of Law, then he would have consented that another entity was the source of law, in this case the federal judges and he would then be guilty of idolatry.

I agree totally! With the first part that is.
    The second part is the disagreement.

I absolutly agree. Judge Moore stated he knew full well that he did what he did in danger of losing his job.
    That took a lot of Grace from God to take such a risk.

I think I heard that he made $192,000 as Chief Justice.

Tell me, would any of you be willing to give that up over a matter of principle?

Something tells me not many would be willing to do that.

Would any of you be willing to do that or would you hide behind self righteous fronts like "we just did what we were told"

A lot of germans were executed with that line of thinking.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Abortion is the law. I have zero respect for anyone who will take a human, God-given, life. So in that sense I have no respect for someone who supports that rule of law.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Matthew the tax collector to follow Jesus.

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

"Matthew the tax collector to follow Jesus."
    Yes there have been those that have..I was meaning we shoud all ask that of ourselves. We won't know unless we are faced with that situation.

"Abortion is the law. I have zero respect for anyone who will take a human, God-given, life. So in that sense I have no respect for someone who supports that rule of law."

This is a common misconception.

It is not Law. Roe v. Wade is an opinion of the supreme court and is not a law passed by congress. COURTS DO NOT MAKE LAW!

Roe v. Wade simply needs to be ignored.

There isn't even a direct order to any one else in that opinion except the parties of that case.

The states just need to ignore that case like I hope south dakato will do.

gb93433: I am not sure what your name is but the thing you need to know, and you seem to be very sincere, is that you ARE upholding the law when you oppose murder (in any form)
    Don't think of yourself as lawless if you break that "opinon"
    You are the law keeper!
    Just as Justice Moore is/was!

"Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

15. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I would love to see Moore's W-2's since he decided to break the law.

Too often these type of people use any means available to set themselves up as great men who are standing alone for righteousness. The truth is that they use events and people to bring attention to themselves for publicity sake.

I wonder if this publicity is helping in the sales of his book. :rolleyes:

I good slogan for Alabama residents could well be:

"No More Moore"

16. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know where you get that. I've read the court decisions, and the only issue was whether he acted properly in placing the monument.

For anyone interested in the actual legal aspects of the case, you can view decisions at:

http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/documents/archive_m.html

(BTW: Part of Moore's problem was bad lawyering — not filing documents in a timely fashion — which doesn't speak well of his legal acumen.)

17. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

This is pathetic statement and is pure speculation.

As for "break the law" can you please tell me which LAW he broke?
    He was not even accused of breaking a LAW, he was removed for not adhering to a court order.
    Now, since the court order was unlawful, it would have been unlawful for him to obey it.

THe federal God-hating judge was the one that broke the law!

There is a war against Christianity that anyone with any sense call tell. Have you seen the Divici Code?
    I haven't actually watched it and I don't want to support it financially but if it is as bad as the secular articles I have read about it, it isn't very good.

ANyway, the war against Christ is quite pronounced. Are you going to take God's side or are you going to plead nutrality like the vatican in WW2?

I am not trying to be infriendly here but it is a serious issue when Christians won't stand up when public officials officially insult our Lord.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's been quite a while since this was a major story and I don't recall a federal judge doing anything other than stating the monument had to be removed. What did a federal judge do that causes you to refer to him as "God-hating"?

19. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Well obviously Ken, the federal judge MUST have hated God or he wouln't have ordered Moore to remove the monument! ;)

Hey Dale, how bout we get off the subject of whether or not Moore was justified in defying a court order that could have been easily appealed at least twice more and on to the subject of how many times Moore has told the people of Alabama that he had no plans to seek the governor's office and yet here he is! Would that make him a liar or just indecisive and unpredictable?

20. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Hey, Ken are you on the American View forum as well?
    THere is a user there with the screen name of KenH

As to the run for governor, which was the original intent of this tread, What I heard (directly form him in a radio interview) was that he had been asked to run for governor but had no plans for such.
    He said he had prayed about it a lot since he didn't want to be there if it was not God's will for him to be there.

I would strongly urge all of you from Alabama to read his book before you vote for Riley.
    If you can't afford it I will even order a copy for you.
    I gurantee that you will learn a lot more than just one court case in Alabama.
    It deals with Biblical law as well as historical law.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.