Justification By Faith Alone is Not Biblical

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Saved-By-Grace, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I won't respond to this as it is not what the OP is about, and this can hijack the thread. You could start one on "perishing"?

2. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There repentance does not justify them. Only faith does per scripture (Romans 3:24;5:1). Romans 6:23 says salvation is a gift. If you are given a gift and someone hands that gift to you, you then reach out and take that gift, do we then say you also took part in giving yourself that gift because you reached out and took possession of it?

3. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, but it IS in the OP. From post #1:

You've taken this passage out of context to build the OP insinuating eternal torment when that's NOT the intent of the text.

4. Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those baptized of John were repentant, it didn't save them.

You need to understand that it is God that grants repentance:

Acts 5:30-32
    King James Version (KJV)

30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

Acts 11:18
    King James Version (KJV)

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Listen to Paul speak of you...

Romans 2:3-5
    King James Version (KJV)

3 And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?

4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

You are once again rejecting the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Sovereignty of God in Salvation.

You demand repentance of others and it is you in need of God granting you repentance.

God bless.

5. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Justification is a divine act whereby an infinitely Holy God judicially declares a believing sinner to be righteous and acceptable before Him because Christ has borne the sinner’s sin on the cross and has become “to us … righteousness”.

However, no sinner can ever be "justified", that is, "made right with God", without them first "repenting". How can God declare a sinner to be "just" with Him, while remaining a sinner? It is only after they repent, that this act of God can be completed. Salvation is indeed a free gift, but only to those sinners to "repent and believe".

6. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please answer my question

7. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The sinner when they repent, thereby "accepts" the gift of salvation, which is from the Lord, because they have conformed to God's requirement for being saved, and thereby made just with God. Are you saying that a sinners does nothing? No repenting is required before they are saved?

8. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    you make the salvation of sinner a pure mechanical thing, whereby the sinner is passive in what they do to obtain eternal life. Note Jesus' words in Luke 24:47, where He clearly says "that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem". All sinners are required to REPENT FOR their forgiveness. It is not automatic because they are "elect". This is a false theology.

9. Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Secondly, the simple fact is that men were, and still are...justified by grace through faith alone.

The one thing you need to know in regards to justification is that you cannot, listen now, cannot equate justification as obtained by Abraham and the Old Testament Saints with Eternal redemption.

Sure, Abraham was justified by grace through faith, and his faith was credited as righteousness. However, Abraham died still in need of his sins being redeemed through the Blood of Christ:

Hebrews 9:12-15
    King James Version (KJV)

12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Our Eternal Redemption, as well as that of the Old Testament Saints who were justified by grace through faith alone...was obtained for us by Christ dying on the Cross. "His Blood" is His Death. The sacrifices Abraham offered up sanctified to the cleansing of the flesh, or in other words, it was physical, not spiritual, not eternal. His death redeemed the transgressions which were under the Law.

To illustrate the difference, I can say I am justified in saying you have embraced false religion and in no way can be considered a Baptist. And that has nothing to do with my, or your...eternal destiny. The only thing that eternal destiny rests on is our response to the Ministry of the Comforter when He brings conviction of sin, righteousness, and judgment. He will do this by enlightening the natural mind to the truth of the Gospel.

And right now you are a Christ rejecting religionist.

Paul speaks of this same retroactive redemption here:

Romans 3:20-26
    King James Version (KJV)

20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Understand?

Abraham was justified by grace through faith alone, but he was also justified by works according to James. Contradiction? No...

...because in view is not eternal redemption which is bestowed freely as a gift by God.

We are justified freely by His grace through the Redemption which is in Christ Jesus. His Death brings remission for sins that are past. His Blood redeems the transgressions which were under the Law.

Christ is the One that starts, and finishes...our salvation:

Hebrews 12:2
    King James Version (KJV)

2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Trust Christ. Not yourself.

Philippians 1:6
    King James Version (KJV)

6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

God bless.

10. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    what does justification mean to you from the Bible?

11. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will be glad to answer all of your questions when you answer mine.

12. Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the contrary, I teach it precisely how Scripture teaches it...as something God does, not something man does.

You can be the author and finisher of your own religion, my friend, but you do not compel God to save you because you repent.

Note how men are not made sons of God...

John 1:11-13
    King James Version (KJV)

11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Your will states you must repent in order to be saved, and because you are in the gall of bitterness you are completely blind to the Scripture I just gave you that states without controversy that it is God that grants repentance.

How He does that is through His convicting Ministry:

John 16:7-9
    King James Version (KJV)

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

While I will not cast judgment on whether you are saved or not, I can cast judgment on your doctrine, and can say without hesitation it is damnable demon doctrine which denies Jesus Christ as the Savior.

You teach like a natural, unsaved, and blind man, ignorant of the Word of Life.

You cannot be saved because you set your will to repent. Judas did that and it didn't help. Peter did that after he, like you, denied the Lord Jesus Christ.

At the very least you should be honest with this forum and remove yourself to other denominations, because you do not belong in the Baptist Only boards.

You belong with the Catholic, SDA, and other various groups that teach works-based salvation down there.

God bless.

13. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have more than once

14. Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not entirely, they must respond to the Ministry of the Comforter.

I have shown you that numerous times.

Repentance is part of what God accomplishes when He convicts the sinner of sin, righteousness, and judgment.

Don't talk to me about what Christ taught until you are ready to hear everything He taught and balance it in a sound soteriology.

And you can start with the above quote.

Continued...

15. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a blinded Calvinist or Reformed. You have ignored the very first thing that the Lord Jesus says in Mark's Gospel, which is REPENT and BELIEVE, (1:15) BOTH that the sinner must DO. Until you can see and understand this, your reasoning is faulty!

16. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    further, if you want to be arrogant and condescending in your responses directed at me, I will ignore what you say. Act like a Christian if you are one!

17. agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Scriptures state, "No one" (that excludes all people ever born) "can come to me unless the Father draws them." John 6:44.

It is repeated for emphasis in John 6:65, "For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father."

There is also that most direct statement from John 14:6, "Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

THE FIRST "must do" is that the Father draw that person through Christ unto Himself.

Part of that package of course is repentance, but it is not the "first to do" for then the salvation would rest upon some level of activity commensurate with the level of devotion, emotion, action, dedication, or some manner of self offering of penance.

Rather the very Acts 2 passage offered as a proof text in the OP gives the correct presentation.

"And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved."​

This is not some Calvinist or Arminian view, it is that view held by the Scriptures, in which BOTH sides agree.

Without the direct and purposeful work of the Holy Spirit using the Scriptures, there is NO salvation offered, and no desire even for repentance other than that which is referred to as earthly and of the world meaningless, "Sorry. My bad." which is of no value to grace or faith.

18. Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, no.

Christ died to bestow remission of sins which was the very promise of God:

Jeremiah 31:31-34
    King James Version (KJV)

31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Hebrews 8:7-12
    King James Version (KJV)

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

Hebrews 10:15-18
    King James Version (KJV)

15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,

16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

You deny God's promise.

You preach Satan's "I will" instead of God's I Wills:"

Ezekiel 36:24-27
    King James Version (KJV)

24 For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land.

25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Continued...

19. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No sir you responded to my question, you have not answered it.

20. Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never said it was.

One Doctrine a Theology does not make.

It's simply a false doctrinal position.

What you teach is a false theology, because it denies Jesus Christ.

Congratulations, you have become a cult teacher.

God bless.