1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use the KJV. I am not KJVOnly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your judgement of me proves you don't practice what you preach doesn't it?
    MB

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, actually, newer versions DO condemn those things, as well as everything else condemned in the KJV.
    I am one of the "most vocal" anti-KJVO-Mythers on this board, but I heve several KJV copies, including a repro 1611 AV, complete with all the extratextual material, & a Cambridge Edition, complete with Crown copyright.

What I hate is the KJVO MYTH, which is the false doctrine that the KJV is the ONLY valid English Bible translation. I, & several others, have posted the man-made origin of the current edition of that myth on this very board. Its cultic, dishonest origin proves it's an invention of Satan's that he uses to cause strife & dissent among & within congregations, some of which you've experienced for yourself. I, myself, have been called every name a pagan can be called in English, & even threatened with violence(til I picked up a ball bat) for using modern versions & speaking out against the KJVO myth. Unfortunately, the strife works both ways, but the majority comes from the KJVO side.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Several of us have pointed out some of the goofs & booboos in the KJV, such as the much-discussed "Easter" goof in Acts 12:4. Whether or not KJVOs will admit it, those goofs are real.

5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know where you see that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the world is very much larger than this forum, but the BB can likely be considered a microcosm of it (at least the Baptist world of the West). As I noted in post # 14, hate is probably too strong a word in most cases. To refresh my memory, I looked up its definition. At Lexico I found:
    I do not think that is too strong to describe some people's feelings about the KJV, whether here on the BB, I know not. I think it is likely unprofitable to try to discuss it, and would yield little light. Almost 100% (if not 100%) of the regular Baptist posters would claim they do not hate the KJV.

It may not rise to the level of hate, but there is a rudeness and disrespect sometimes exhibited on the BB toward the King James translation. If folks mean to disrespect the KJV-only position, they need to be clear about that. That is not always what they are doing, even if they think it is.

If nothing else, the KJV deserves the respect of a beloved grandparent whose best years have passed. You may wish grandpa or grandma did not drool on the chin, but when you mock them for it, you cross over the line. It is blatant disrespect. One may wish the KJV had made a different translation decision here or there, or think that they got it wrong at a certain place, or hope that some things could be updated -- but when those of us who cannot translate our way out of a paper sack mock those things, the line has been crossed.

#27 rlvaughn, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Southern Fried Baptist

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many have agreed with me. I don’t need to post again. The most hateful of those to the KJVO group in all reality just hate the KJV cause they can’t understand it. So the attack it under the false pretense of kjvo.

9. Southern Fried Baptist

Faith:
    Baptist
    What’s wrong with someone believing that the KJV is the best translation? Many believe the ESV is the best translation. I have no problem with that. That’s their opinion. Their wrong……

• Like Like x 1
  10. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think KJV users that report discrimination are sometimes in a similar situation as people of color that report discrimination. Secondary wounding can be worse than the original wounding and silences victims.

I am going to say nothing of my most uncomfortable incidents. It is more comfortable for me to publicly profess that nothing ever happened.

11. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There absoloutly nothing wrong with that opinion. I hold to it myself. But as I said at the beginning, it is the "Onlyism", or telling lies about other translations, using false hood, false witness for starters.

13. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJV only implies unity among the congregations. I do not see them worshiping the KJV. In fact I do not believe any one worships the Bible. The worship is just an false accusation.
    MB.

14. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently you do not know what KJVOnlyism is. It is not believing the KJV is the best version, or a person only using that version. That is not KJVOnlyism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those threads demean the KJV. Period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you have no real experiences with KJVOnlyism. I don't believe you actually know what it is. That is good. Stay innocent. Do not tell the lies of the "onlyist".

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know of anyone here who even mildly dislikes the KJV.

I think the "feelings" come in (on both sides) when people make the claim their favorite translation is superior to others.

Obviously we all have opinions, and we all probably realize each translation has strengths and weaknesses (largely based on the translators philosophy of translation).

Personally, I love the KJV. Do I consider it the best translation of God's Word in English? No, of course not. But that does not detract from my appreciation of the translation.

The KJV strikes an amazing balance between a "literal" translation and preserving the literary style (and it is a beautiful translation). Would I recommend the KJV to a new believer? No. But I would not hesitate to study from the KJV.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You haven't read some articles by "Pastor" Stephen Anderson in which he DOES claim to worship the KJV.

20. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing, long as such believers don't claim it's the ONLY valid English Bible translation, or that someone using other translations is using the wrong versions or corrupt versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.