1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, not the Kjv, but towards exposing the error of KJVO!

2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. You are rubbing people the wrong way because you refuse to dialogue in a normal manner. You expect everyone to answer you questions , yet you answer none of our questions. I believe I have answered every question you asked me. You are yet to answer one of mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Southern Fried Baptist

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will not name names of posters that have shown hatred or dislike for KJV outside of this thread. That will surely get me banned. Baptist for life has posted several threads though that prove my point. What else can I do for you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Southern Fried Baptist

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your opinion is it’s error to believe in a superior translation.

5. Southern Fried Baptist

Faith:
    Baptist
    I won’t compare King David to John Calvin. John Calvin was not repentant for his sins against non calvinists.

6. Southern Fried Baptist

Faith:
    Baptist
    well I answered two for ya.:)
    Sorry. I will work on that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother at the times of those post they were in response to post's by "onlyist" were they not? Seems I remember back and forth post's that way.

8. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Weren't some of the KJV Translators calvinist? Isn't the Geneva Bible in the KJV?

9. Southern Fried Baptist

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJV doesn’t include footnotes

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally I do not understand how a Christian could dislike (even mildly) the KJV, the ESV, or the NIV.

I understand disagreeing with the direction the KJV took (in regards to the Anglican requirements/ committee edits). But all translations have similar external influences (whether athe Church of England, as with the KJV, or a particular translation philosophy, or a specifically tgeology).

But God has used those translations (and several others) to communicate His Word to people. To even mildly dislike God's Word because of an English translation is almost (if not exactly) blasphemy.

Today the KJV may be a barrier to some towards salvation, but God's Word is amazingly communicated through many translations and many languages.

I would hope all believers would rejoice in that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hate the KJV? I suppose there are those that do. I respect the KJV. It is not my translation of choice, but I often refer to it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The real 1611 KJV came with marginal notes.

13. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most "My 1611 KJV" folks have never seen one and couldn't read it if they did.
    It took me a while to learn to read a real 1611.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not agree, but if I did think the KJV was an barrier towards salvation, I could see that as a reason to dislike it.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The gospel itself is a stumbling block to many. This is no reason to dislike the gospel.

The KJV is a barrier, but no more than other things (excuses?) people may have for dismissing Christ.

The KJV is often difficult for today's teens to handle. Perhaps this is due to laziness (not willing to work with past language elements in order to interact with an ancient text written in Greek and Hebrew). But it is a legitimate barrier (none of my son's friends "get" Shakespeare....because they do not take the time to overcome what is archaic in the language).

I suggest you would be wrong for disliking the KJV simply because it is a barrier to some. There are other translations these can read and the barrier is not the fault of the translation itself (it was written so as not to be archaic, but time has moved on and the language has changed).

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dude, you are supposed to be Southern Fried. We don't care how unpopular our opinions are, we just say 'em anyway. No PC in the South. ;)

17. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not going to dislike the KJV, period. You are the one who suggested that it is a barrier to the salvation to some in a way other versions are not, but now you say no more than other things, so I am not sure what you are getting at. Mentioning the gospel itself as a stumblingblock is an apples to oranges comparison.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was using that as an illustration. I know people for whom the KJV was a barrier. They ended up understanding the gospel through another translation. So the question is not "if" the KJV can be a barrier to some people because it is.

The question becomes other things- like whether other translations are worth the effort if the barrier overcome is due to a lack of effort. Or if the KJV is only a barrier to the handful of people I know of, are these few souls worth the effort?

Personally, I commend Christians who will take the time to develop a translation that communicates God's Word to any given people.

19. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I guess we could say the book of Isaiah was a barrier to the salvation of the eunuch of Ethiopia, Acts 8:30-31.

20. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 1560 Geneva Bible is not a John Calvin study Bible. John Calvin was not one of its translators. The great majority of the KJV translators were Calvinists just as the translators of the 1560 Geneva Bible were.

The Church of England makers of the KJV could be said to have blood on their hands since at least two of them were involved in having two men burned at the stake for their beliefs. Several of the KJV translators were members of the Court of High Commission that was involved in persecution of professed believers who disagreed with any Church of England doctrines. The KJV translators were not repentant for their sins in persecuting others for their faith and for denying them liberty in Christ.

The Church of England makers of the KJV accepted the Church of England's doctrine of baptismal regeneration kept from the Roman Catholic Church.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.