1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't CARE for the KJV & never have. However, I'll use it when witnessing if the audience wishes me to use it. It DOES have its share of goofs, & its English is simply archaic & out of use now. And it IS a Model T version, whose day has come & gone.

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one has said any newer Bible translation is error-free, least of all, me.

And I HAVE provided proof that the goofs I've mentioned in the KJV ARE goofs. For example, in this board's archives are many discussions about the KJV's "Easter" goof in Acts 12:4.

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly my point about those who hate the KJV. The model T had a better reliability than any other make of Cars. It was easy to keep it going the maintenance was easy and the mechanics were understandable. Today not so much. Man just isn't happy ,with simplicity. There are words in the NASB I can't find the meaning of in a common dictionary.
    MB

4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? Though no direct tie had been proven, I think it fair to say Calvin had his hand in the process. It's definitely not a study Bible.

Do we want to talk about King Jimmy and his moral values?

Did this man named King David write any of the Bible? Seems like he did. Seems like he was a murderer as well.

#84 Reynolds, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  5. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you don't hate the KJV why keep running it down. No one is complaining about the mistakes in your version
    Act 12:3 And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. (Then were the days of unleavened bread.)
    Act 12:4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.
    Easter was a celebration of spring even before Christ. Easter has nothing to do with Christ resurrection.

MB

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rule 5 : No trolling. Trolling consists of provoking large volumes of responses by posting absurdities, deliberately offensive insults, etc
    https://www.baptistboard.com/help/termsis

When you start a thread -you should be involved - especially when folks ask questions.

You mention people hate the KJV - many times it has been stated that is normally NOT the case. - In fact - if you see one, alert the mod team. -- Now on the other side - many KJO talk about the MV perversions. That is considered hate!

We have no problem with people who are KJ-preferred - I call myself KJ-T ie by tradition. Though I do use many other versions.
    A big problem comes when some say the KJV is perfect. - it is not. No translation can be perfect. Think of that saying - "it lost something in the translation"

Will try to comment more when I get the chance.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong thread

#87 MB, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To help clarify - by "translation" I mean a legitimate translation of the given text and not deliberately reading into the text (for example, the Jefferson Bible, or the JW Bible).

The KJV is influenced by the Anglican concerns of the day (not a deliberate attempt to read into the translation). The NASB is influenced by a particular philosophy interpretation, etc.

Going back to your post (and to something I should have asked early on) - do you think those who recognize translation issues in the KJV should "hate" the translation for those few times it is inaccurate, or for its lack of clarity to the contemporary vernacular?

What I am getting at is, if I believe there are better translations than the KJV then should I hate the KJV for being an inferior translation?

9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The difference between Calvin and Moses. Moses spoke directly to God. Calvin wanted to be Pope of Geneva forcing everyone in to Calvinism, Ignoring God's determinism in favor of his own determination
    MB

10. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that has what exactly to do with Bible translation?
    Who is talking about Moses?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are the one who will have to decide whether you should or should not hate the KJV, and the reasons for your choice. "Hate" is not a word I would generally use even in describing translations that I do not think are good translations.
    This sounds at least like a mild dislike:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Honestly, you need to venture back into reality for a bit. You seem to not know the differences between some, many, most, and all.
    Sure, SOME prefer the modern versions simply because they are easier to read. SOME prefer certain modern versions because they believe they are more accurate. There is no blanket ALL that fits here.

Please tell me how a modern TRANSLATION of W.S. would be more accurate than the ORIG manuscripts we have today?
    Hint: Shakespeare was written in English, not translated to English.

13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the record, I don't agree with any of that. Nothing Archaic about KJV. You would have to strictly define "goofs". I see nothing I would call "goofs".

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  14. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Which versions do not condemn these things?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best Bible version is the one that you will read

• Like Like x 1
  16. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the most part I agree. I am not so sure I can include the Message "translation" in that statement.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Southern Fried Baptist

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you’re gonna alert the mods and claim I’m trolling? Saying things people don’t want to hear is not trolling. If I am banned for trolling than this board is no different than cancel culture. Wow!

Your responses to me have been mostly hateful in my opinion. Most responses in this thread have been in a demeaning manor against those that are KJV. But shut me down I guess brother.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What concerned me is that you were not responding to valid questions about your OP.

19. Southern Fried Baptist

Faith:
    Baptist
    So if I ask a question in a post then don’t respond that is grounds for a mod smack? That is ridiculous.

I think I’m rubbing some the wrong way cause I’m stating my opinion which is unpopular.

20. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, I am curious how you view these posts as being in response to “Onlyism”. The KJV...the Model T Bible Version thread asserts that the KJV is out-of-date. It is not even in “OUR language.” KJV’s Textual Error claims that the KJV editors made a mistake in italicizing “he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also” in 1 John 2:23. KJV Wrongly Translates the Hebrew states that the KJV translation “desperately wicked” in Jeremiah 17:9 is a wrong translation. These are specific and direct assertions about the King James translation, its translators, and its editors. In what way are they a response to “Onlyism”?

Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.