Knowing vs. Feeling in Worship

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Reformed, Jun 7, 2019.

1. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Know you Feel that way....:Laugh

2. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not among mine... and there is allot we have to say on the matter

3. Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reality is that most Baptists do not hold to anything like the RPW in worship. Outside of discussing these things on a message board, I do not make an issue of everything I disagree with. Some things are not my preference but I can tolerate them. There are certain things that are line-in-the-sand issues for me. I will not list those things here because they will only lead to an argument. I will not attend a church that practices those line-the-sand things regularly. Each one of us must be convinced of these things in our own mind. My dear bride and I are not agreed on all aspects of worship. I have to be sensitive to that because I have a responsibility to nurture and care for her soul. For her sake, I am willing to tolerate those things that are not beyond the pale. Oh, and when I use the word "tolerate" I do not want to give the impression that I am gritting my teeth through the worship service with a sour look on my face for all to see. That is not the case at all. In fact, unless a person discusses the topics with me, they will never know that I am a confessional, amillennial, Calvinist.

While I am going down a bit of a rabbit-trail here in my own thread, let me make the point that there is a life outside of message boards and social media. We all have a need to fellowship with other believers. We need the teaching of the Word. We need the ministries of grace that come with being a part of a local fellowship of believers. When A.W. Pink retreated to this study in the last part of his life, I believe he did so to his harm. That does not mean that anything goes in the local church. Some things deserve to be opposed and opposed vigorously. However, not everything rises to that level.

4. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So why not go to a church that provides all or most of what you are looking for? You and I and I believe anyone coming from a catholic background understand what it means to yearn for church... we subconsciously believe it’s a sin not to go each Sunday.... up until they do something heinous that stops us in our tracks. Then we look for something radically different. Arthur Pink and I saw grave errors in church and I believe the ones he saw saddened him and caused his retreat. So did I, but I was never ready to call it quits... I just griped about my discoveries. Do you know what happened next? God graced me with men who were from a different kind of church. One that has one agenda, to preach the word. Now they also affirm Doctrines of Grace, which I’m personally akin to. Guess what though my Jersey born friend, they are not in Jersey! God puts it in Florida. So if I want what I want, gotta move.