1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Laura Ingraham Targets Even Legal Immigrants In Off-The-Rails Rant

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by KenH, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem here is that others have determined that by "we" Ingraham was referring to white people like her (rather than Americans like her). The same applies to immigration. The link to race (racism) is assumed. The statement regarding issues with legal immigration is assumed to be racist. If you look at the transcript (of the entire transcript of what was actually stated) nothing that is claimed is spoken. It is assumed.

The question becomes whether she or her critics are racists. Just based on the episode (as this is the only experience I have with Ingraham), and solely based on what is being discussed on this thread, it seems that the racists are those who infer from her comments what was not actually stated.

Although no one is taking this extreme position, one can be completely anti-immigration (close the borders and don't let anyone in for any reason) and not be racist. But they would be pictured that way in the minds of many (more so if they happen to be white). It would be assumed, based on their race, that they are speaking from a racist motive. That, my friend, is the more dangerous racism because it is now politically correct.

I haven't watched it (yet), but here is her explanation of the statements:

Laura Ingraham: My commentary was about keeping America safe

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ironic. If you change two words it would apply to the last administration. But you are right - racism will always be the political pawn of racists and manipulation through fear their modus operandi.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ingraham said, “Massive demographic changes have been foisted upon the American people.” Your argument might have had a chance but for her use of the word “demographics”.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    She is right. massive demographic changes have been foisted upon the American people. Whether or not this is a good thing or a bad thing is debatable, but the fact it has occurred shouldn't be.

I'm not that old (I'm in my 40's for a few more weeks) but I am old enough to see the effects not only of immigration but of other policies on the demographic makeup of our communities. While there are always negative issues associated with change, as a whole I believe these demographic changes are a benefit.

Do you not find it racist to forbid the mention of such changes in public discourse?

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone can say that the country is becoming less white and that they don’t like it. And anyone can then criticize that person for saying it.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe that we have experienced demographic changes that were influenced, at least in part, by government policies and immigration?

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have been experiencing demographic changes since, oh, July 4, 1776, due to immigration. In other words, the entire history of this country. And right along with that there have been racists and xenophobes who haven’t liked it.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not exactly true. 18th century through the mid 20th century (perhaps late 19th century) held a fairly constant demographic. Immigrants typically formed quasi-isolated communities and were identifiable by race, culture and religious belief. This can be seen today in many communities (e.g, Irish Travelers). At one time you would know a lot about me based on my hometown. This is not true today.

Here is an interesting report from the census bureau.
    Laura Ingraham Targets Even Legal Immigrants In Off-The-Rails Rant

Are you a racist for stating that we have been experiencing demographic changes due to immigration? If not, then why do you believe Ingraham is a racist for using the word "demographics"? Is it because she is white, or because she is a conservative?

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is because she is exhibiting xenophobia because of the portion of demographic change due to immigration. However, differences in birth rates in the country are also driving down the white share of the population. I don’t have a problem with whites losing majority staus. 4 states are already that way and they are doing as well as the other 46 states.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you believe her identification of what we have both identified as accurate (that the demographics have changed and this has been influenced by immigration) is xenophobia?

Edited: I don't know much about Ingraham. I know she dated Dinesh D'Souza at one time, had breast cancer, and is conservative. That's about it (and only because I read it as we were discussing her). But nothing in what was provided on this thread proves xenophobia. That's why I'm asking. Where do we get the information that she holds an irrational fear of foreigners?

#30 JonC, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Words.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Words others give meaning.

That's a problem in our society today. We live in a sensitive, entitled culture that others can associate meanings to the words of another person. We have gone too PC.

As an example, notice what literature is no longer appropriate - NOT because of context but because some find the words offensive. We can't read Joseph Conrad because of the words he uses (regardless as to the literary value of his works). We can't read Flannery O'Conner because she uses the "n word" often in representing a culture (regardless as to the anti-racism context). We live in a very weak culture obsessed with what the individual infers to be true rather than what is actually true.

People are free to refer to others as xenophobic, racist, etc. if they are white conservatives. But some get offended if others call them "dems" or "snowflakes", etc. We live in an amazingly weak society.

I'm not saying that Ingraham is not xenophobic. I doubt it since she dated a man born in India. But I don't know her. I am saying that her words do not prove the charge true and I am wondering if those making the accusations are the racists (in the sense of using race for political gain or an agenda).

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A picture is worth a thousand words...

upload_2018-8-10_8-26-52.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Ingraham is all for immigration for her 2 Russian and 1 Guatemalan children. But for other folks, not so much.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see. So it's not racism or xenophobia at all. It has to do with different stands on immigration policies (on the video she was expressing concern over illegal immigration and loop holes in current immigration policies).

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very hollow sounding Ken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are the only one explicitly mentioning the white race.

Ingraham's lament is that illegal immigrants are coming into the country, committing crimes and/or sucking up our entitlements. Basically being ILLEGALS. No mention of race or ethnicity was made.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Now a study in the journal Criminology has examined immigration and crime data from all 50 states from 1990 and 2014. The paper, written by Michael Light of the University of Wisconsin and Ty Miller of Purdue, finds that "undocumented immigration does not increase violence. Rather, the relationship between undocumented immigration and violent crime is generally negative."

Undocumented Immigrants Are Less Crime Prone Than Native-Borns

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Despite scapegoating in public discourse, the drain that undocumented immigrants place on government benefit programs is small. The number of low-income undocumented immigrants is small relative to the size of the overall low-income population, and federal law restricts their participation in most programs.“

Do Undocumented Immigrants Overuse Government Benefits? | Econofact

20. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, don't you mean "we" as in "legal US persons?"

Doesn't reading race into everything make you a racist?

• Winner Winner x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.