1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Lewis on Atonement theories

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JonC, May 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ bears one's sins so the sinner who accepts that gift does not receive the death of both the body and soul. How is that not a penal substitution?

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

I meant example as in that Jesus was not just showing to us how to live, as he must die in our place in order to make impossible to have the wrath of God towards us propitiated and provide the basis by which the father can now justify us!

3. JesusFan

per YOUR understanding, but not per the teachings of the scriptures and of godly men throughout church history, gifted with understanding

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe that God punished Jesus on the Cross instead of us?

Do you believe that God transferred our sins from us and laid them on Christ?

Do you believe that God condemned our sin in Christ so that He could forgive the wicked?

I ask because those are examples of teachings that are in opposition to what is written in the text of Scripture (you would have to believe Scripture means something OTHER THAN "what is written" to accept those things as true).

5. JesusFan

Does not the bible teach that there is indeed the wrath of God stored up against all of the lost in judgement day?

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is you are relying on the understanding of men rather than Scripture.

I do not have to understand why or how sins cannot be transferred from one to another on order to accept Scripture stating that they cannot.

I don't have to understand why or how God determined that it is evil to punish the just to acquit the guilty in order to accept that passages stating it is evil is true.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. This is the Day of Judgment when the wicked will be cast into the Lake of Fire.

8. JesusFan

Do you believe that God the father had imputed to Jesus all of our sins , and that due to him being our sin bearer and taking upon Himself the due penalty due to us as sinners, that the father can now impute the righteousness of Jesus towards us now?

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. JesusFan

You deny Pauline Imputation then of both sins and righteousness?

10. JesusFan

And that Jesus experienced that great and terrible judgement in our stead so that we do have to?

11. JesusFan

Jesus died in our place, as our substitute is the plain teaching of the scriptures

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I believe the Bible.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol.....much has been said by those who say (or in this case, post) something is the "plain teaching of Scripture", so I won't go there.

I will just say that I do not care about your (Mormons, SDA, JW, or anybody's) opinions regarding what the Bible teaches.

I care about what is written. What did God actually say? That's what is important.

And you cannot provide any passages supporting your faith because no passage exists.

14. JesusFan

it does all throughout the bible, especially in the sacrificial system of the OT, but you reject that there is a real wrath of God towards sins, you reject substitution death, so you refuse to accept what is written!

15. JesusFan

That is ALL what the bible states and teaches to us!

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not understand, therefore you are in no position to tell me what I accept or reject.

I do believe God's wrath is against wickedness. God's wrath will be poured out on the wicked.

But I do not accept your extra-biblical ideas (those things you say but cannot provide a single passage that says it).

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are a couple of interesting facts:

1. You say I do not believe what Is written in the Bible BUT you cannot provide a single passage I do not believe.

2. You say your theory is written throughout all of Scripture BUT you cannot provide a single passage stating what you believe.

Do you not find that just a little odd?

18. JesusFan

What i find really odd is that all but you see that in the Isaiah 53 passage, Jesus is shown to be the suffering and substitution servant of Yahweh there!

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean "most on this board" (as most Christians do not).

I do not find it odd at all. For most of my life I also read that into the text as something taught.

20. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we are to be saved it is still by the grace of God. The condition is faith but only God can save.

Both the texts you reference say that we are saved by grace. Am I overlookig something in your argument.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.