1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LGBT theological positions

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evenifigoalone, Jun 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a rude assumption that SSA Christians can't practice chastity as well as celibacy.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

2. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright, I'm about to drop a bombshell on you guys. Ready?

I'm same sex attracted. I'm not very open about it, and my family does not know. Nor do they need to, because I never plan on doing anything.
    Well, maybe it's not so much of a bombshell if you've caught the hints I've dropped. Such as calling myself side B, as opposed to supporting side B, and saying I've been in LGBT specific spaces. Imo it gives me a unique opportunity to witness, I can go places where straight people cannot.

And I'm not talking to anyone in particular here, just rambling, but... Most people consider a life of celibacy to be a sacrifice, do they not? Most people do not want to go through their life never having had sex. At least that's the idea I get.
    For me, the prospect isn't a big deal. In fact I almost _prefer_ it, I _like_ the idea of never dating, never having sex, and never marrying. But it is a big deal for others, who burn with passion. I guess that's why some side B folk go for mixed orientation marriages; even if it isn't to someone they feel that kind of attraction to, they still have a need for sexual release. Paul did say it's better to marry than to burn with passion. How the hell isn't celibacy a sacrifice for those people.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn’t celibacy imply chastity?

4. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    you are trying to justify a sinful lifestyle by help of the board.
    We wont.
    You are as egotistical as the rich young ruler who could not surrender his riches to follow Jesus.
    You problem is psychological not just spiritual.
    The need you seek to fill is not sexual, you are equating sex with a relationship, a trick of the devil to deceive you

5. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, some can control their sexual desire and some burn with it on the inside. Personally, I didn't marry until I was 38 and never had sexual relations until I got married. I never dated much due to being rather shy and avoiding rejection until I met, through a friend at work, the woman I would eventually marry.

May God bless and guide you in your walk with Him.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but that would would require a history lesson and I'm too busy right now to give it.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, when you have time, please do. I am curious as to what your thinking is. Seems to me it would just be a matter of definitions. If someone is chaste or if someone is celibate, in either case a person is not having illicit sexual relations.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol, a bombshell? Give us some credit...:Wink

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GoodTidings

GoodTidings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only reason you continue in SSA is because you want to, and you don't believe it is a sin to be SSA. The desire to sin is as sinful as the act of sin, itself. God will deliver, but most don't want that deliverance. God is true to His Word, so you can't blame God for this, as if He is forcing you to live with sinful desires. He would not and does not compromise His holiness like that.

I am not convinced they really do think it is a sin to be that way. I have had all kinds of interactions with gay people who claim to be Christians who always claim that the Bible is mistranslated to make homosexuality to appear sinful. They have plenty of excuses as to why their lifestyle is misunderstood and why it is not a sin to be that way. I don't hear any of them claim they are struggling with being gay. Usually, their struggle is with other Christians who don't accept that lifestyle as being part of an authentic profession of faith.

It appears you are looking for validation of sin, rather than deliverance from sin.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not know what you are taking about.

12. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I do.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be careful as to how far you push that concept lest you inadvertently encourage someone to actually sin in action based on “If I am going to be charged with it, then I might as well get the enjoyment of actually doing it.”

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No you don't, in fact the ignorance you displayed in your post is offensive. There are real people who have real struggles in this area and your post displays you have no knowledge of them.

1. Being SSA is not sinful. There is a distinct difference between having that attraction and thinking about acting on it. The sin comes into place in the latter not the former.

2. Your ignorant attitude would put a weight on people who struggle with SSA that scripture does not.

3. There are people who have overcome SSA but that does not negate the struggle.

4. Your post over simplifies the issue and ignores the difficulties involved.

5. Your post made some assumptions which lead to your false accusation. I have seen nothing from that poster that they are looking for validation. You, in fact, do not know that so therefore you have made a false accusation. Shame on you.

6. Do not lump all SSA's into one monolithic group based on your limited experience with them. Just because you may or may not have experienced some who make excuses for their lifestyle does not in and of itself mean that is what is going on here.

7. People like you who speak harshly on things you know nothing of can cause some real damage in people's lives and bring shame to the Kingdom of God.

Behave yourself.

#74 Revmitchell, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry you are having to struggle with this. You have and may experience more posts from people who think they know something about and pass judgments beyond their pay grade. Ignore them. Continue to try to honor God in all things. Know that your struggle is something God is allowing in your life and He has a purpose for all things. Do not forget about His Holiness, stay pure, stay in the word, and love God more than you do yourself. I hope you are getting some help with your struggle.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you had a 12 year old child, would you be comfortable living next to a man who admits he wants to sexually molest your child even though he doesn't act on it? Is that sexual attraction to your child a sin?

Yeah, honesty comes off as harsh, but it is the truth. SSA is a spiritual stronghold. It is something people need deliverance from. It is something that God considers abhorent and I dont need to understand it, any more than I need to understand the attraction of a pedophile for an underaged child. What is needed is deliverance. Coddling sin only perpetuates sin.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First you engage in several logical fallacies. The first one being and appeal to emotion. Trying to manipulate an emotional response is not a valid argument. Earlier you used your anecdote to try to make a valid argument. Anecdotes are not valid proof.

And there in lies your problem. At least you admit it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I am appealing to the practical side of the matter. And you can't really answer the question. If a 40 year old man is desiring to molest his 12 year old neighbor, is that desire a sin? I am not setting up an anecdote at all. I have not told any anecdotal stories.

Jesus taught that the desire to sin is where sin begins; it doesn't begin with the act, but begins in the heart.

It's not a problem at all. I don't have to analyze and understand sin to say that it is a sin and to offer Jesus as the solution. Only Jesus can deliver someone from that sin.

But it is hard to believe that someone is struggling with a particular sin if they continue to immerse themselves in the culture they claim they want to be rid of. If I were struggling with alcoholism, the last place I would be is in a bar or at a party where I know people will be drinking. But if I am still going to those places, it tends to negate the claim that I hate this lifestyle and want to be rid of it. I am struggling with weight loss then I probably won't be going with my friends to Pizza Hut or Krispy Kreme. So if someone is truly struggling with the sin of homosexuality, when continue to hang out in the places where one knows that he or she is going to engaging with that culture?

19. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist

To learn how to engage with those in that culture, understand them, so that I can better reach and influence them. Being all things to all people.

#79 evenifigoalone, Jun 13, 2019
  20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem with your ideology is that it is not sin at all and is not what Jesus taught. You have engaged in logical fallacies like an appeal to emotion. It does not establish you are right. Anecdotes do not establish it either. Since you have nothing else but appeals to emotion and anecdotes and have admitted you have no understanding your argument is nothing more than your opinion with no foundation. Your position has been debunked.

#80 Revmitchell, Jun 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.