1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Liberty Trustees' Announcement about Falwell Jr.

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jerome, Aug 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why? Its typical Falwell.

2. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    yes, not a good example of modesty being set.
    The photo of the women is more immodest, look at her ripped up high on the thighs jean shorts, and being unzipped is like the pants are deliberately worn as if they could fall off. Add in the skimpy top, it just looks immodest. Now if the women was wearing a bikini bottom and he in a bathing suit showing more skin, it may have been less sexually suggestive.
    1 Timothy 2
    Men and Women in the Church
    8 I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting; 9 in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, 10 but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you believed this cockamamie story?

How many pregnant women decide to wear short-short-shorts onto a yacht that she can't zip up? She got up that morning and figured, "Hey, I'm going on a party on a yacht with Jerry Falwell Jr.. Wouldn't it be a hoot if I tried to wear these hot pants that I can't zip up all the way?"

4. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I don't see what's so cockamamie about it. Woman who are pregnant, after they start showing, begin noticing they have trouble buttoning their pants. I recall this with my wife's pregnancy, so it's a viable story. Woman notice early on, they need new clothes made for pregnancies.

I have heard this story posted, but not verified it. Have you heard this story is not true?

#24 Calminian, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  5. Calminian

Site Supporter

I have a problem with judging people with photos. When Paul warned about the appearance of evil, he was talking about lifestyles. The Christians should listen to what others and saying and make changes, if something looks out of place so they can be above reproach.

I don't believe Paul ever meant this to apply to gotcha photos, where something looks bad, and you therefore are forever guilty of sin.

6. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Se was wearing that outfit in front of others. How can that be a good example? She did not put that on just for the picture.

7. Calminian

Site Supporter

Shorts? I have no problem with woman wearing shorts, especially at a beach or on a boat.

8. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well many of those people did and it is why they acted. I dont think that much about it myself, I have seen much worse.

9. Calminian

Site Supporter

These Christians are reacting to a photo in a moment of time. This is not what Paul taught about.

If we can't forgive a simple innocent bad decision in a moment of time, like this, we've lost all perspective. If we as Christians, now, are running to liberal media with gotcha photos, we've become part of the cancel culture. We're worse than the people we're criticizing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those are not pants.

I find it hard to believe a pregnant woman would go to a party wearing clothes they could not zip up properly. Especially when going to a party your boss is also attending. Your boss, whose husband happens to be the head of Liberty University.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

11. Calminian

Site Supporter

Of course they could be zipped, it just becomes difficult. That's how I understood the joke. She's making the point, it's becoming more comfortable to keep them unzipped. Then Falwell makes the joke, likely pertaining to him being overweight. And they take a photo.

Is this really the unforgivable sin? Sorry, I just can't bring myself to reach for a stone.

12. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In his position, reputation is everything. What the leaders do reflect on the entire organization, and stuff like this gives the enemy reason to mock. Obviously you dont see things they way they did.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Unforgiveable sin? Why do you bring it up like that, as this is not the unforgiveable sin. And who is throwing stones, that is meant to kill the body? Your speaking about non realities. Stoning is meant for killing, and no one is killing this man.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed, leadership must set the example. Liberty University has a strict code of conduct for how students must behave at the university, including barring premarital sex and the consumption of media either on or off campus "that is offensive to Liberty's standards and traditions", such as lewd lyrics, anti-Christian messages, sexual content and nudity. Hairstyles and fashions are to "avoid extremes" and students are to dress modestly at all times.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Calminian

Site Supporter

Yes, I don't see it the way they do. I don't believe a snapshot in time destroys one's reputation, especially if there's a viable explanation to go with it.

I think the anti-Trump Christians using this to cancel him are behaving much worse.

16. Calminian

Site Supporter

And do we have evidence Falwell violated any of these standards? Does the photo prove this to you?

17. Calminian

Site Supporter

Sorry, I thought the metaphorical tone of my comments were fairly noticeable.

For the record, no, I do not believe anyone will be literally stoning Mr. Falwell.

#37 Calminian, Aug 8, 2020
  18. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What was he doing on a yacht on a Sunday? It’s unclear what the deleted picture was in connection with; however, a Huffington Post article stated it appears to be in connection with a “Trailer Park Boys” themed party.

Trailer Park Boys .... He is supposed to be representing Liberty University, his fathers work, and most importantly the Lord Jesus Christ!

19. Calminian

Site Supporter

I don't care. I have no problem with boat rides on Sunday. And Huffpo? Really?

#39 Calminian, Aug 8, 2020
  20. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Falwell said the woman is a "sweetheart" and expressed regret about embarrassing her. He said he'd "apologized to everybody" and promised to "try to be a good boy" from now on. So... I guess at least you are proud of him!

Meghan McCain, daughter of the late Republican Sen. John McCain, tweeted, "How is this Jerry Falwell Jr. photo even real? Also if you're running the largest Christian university in America maybe don't put photos of yourself on social media with your pants undone on a yacht - with random women in bad wigs. So gross, so hypocritical." Falwell told the Lynchburg, Va., radio station WLNI on Wednesday that the photo, which was later removed, was taken in "just in good fun" during a costume party on vacation. He said the woman in the photo was his wife's assistant.

"It was weird," Falwell told the interviewer. "She's pregnant, so she couldn't get her pants zipped. I had on a pair of jeans I hadn't worn in a long time, so I couldn't get mine zipped either. So I just put my belly out like hers." - From the reputable news source NPR Jerry Falwell Jr. On 'Indefinite Leave' From Liberty University After Racy Photo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.