1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Liberty Trustees' Announcement about Falwell Jr.

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jerome, Aug 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm definitely proud of him. He's done great things over the course of his life.

And, I forgive him. Shame on me, I guess.

Enough said. She pretends to be conservative, but runs to liberal media to bash conservatives. That's how they make their living. I'm not proud of her.

2. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I sum up the whole episode with one word.... Sick!

3. Calminian

Site Supporter

Your judgmental unforgiving attitude? I agree.

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not about forgiving him. It's about should a man who does this on purpose and posted it for all the world to look at - should he be in Christian leadership over young people? What Christian man with a functioning brain would publicly post that photo of himself? I don't know any.

What type of Christian example is that to young Christian people? A Christian leader should be a little more above reproach than this. No one is calling this the unpardonable sin.

No one thinks that they are having an affair.

Do you feel the young men at his Christian college could make a picture like that and not suffer consequences?

Besides, and trust me on this, there isn't any woman I know that would like to look at this. What about the female students at his university or female secretaries and colleagues? It would be hard to work for/with a man anymore who posted something like this for the world to see.

I have never heard of Jerry Falwell, jr. until yesterday. The photo tells me all I need to know about him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone who has ever outgrown their pants can empathize, even joke about it. But being in such a responsible position with high visibility, to act out and even post a pic demonstrates the arrested sense of a frat boy.

At the very least, such antics are certain to stir up controversy, not just for him but for all his associations. I don't know him, perhaps he is stupid enough to imagine otherwise, but most adults should be suspected of intentionality. Why risk it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Dead flies cause the ointment of the apothecary to send forth a stinking savour: so doth a little folly him that is in reputation for wisdom and honour.- Ecclesiastes 10:1

7. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Or... Another translation...

Dead flies make a perfumer’s oil stink, so a little foolishness is weightier than wisdom and honor. - Eccesiastes 10:1 NASB

8. Calminian

Site Supporter

And all because of a photo. That's the disturbing part. You know nothing of the man, nor do you want to know anything he's ever done. But that's the cancel culture we live in.

I always judge public figures in a macro sense. It's impossible to judge them by micro moral incidents, not knowing them personally. All men have their flaws. Martin Luther and all historical theological giants have their flaws and sins. You look at the whole, be it politicians, celebrities or public figures.

Our current cancel culture in the opposite. They ignore the big picture and go after the micro. Very sad to see Christians following suit.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Calminian

Site Supporter

Prov. 10:14 The wise store up knowledge,
    but the mouth of a fool invites ruin.

10. Calminian

Site Supporter

I don't disagree with any of this. I'm merely saying that we're all human and none of us are beyond mistakes like this.

I'm also disturbed about the worldly cancel response Christians are adopting. We, of all people, should know our limitations and susceptibilities. How many times have you looked back at one of your own actions, even as a mature Christian, and thought that was really stupid of me!

Plus the story checks out. How many men have you seen joke about their bellies like they were pregnant? If I had a nickel for every time I've seen that....

I'm not willing cancel a good man for one bad joke.

11. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Christ represents us in the heavens!
    We represent Christ here on the earth!

In the case of Jerry Falwell Jr that also includes the Falwell name, Christianity, the Republican party, the Baptist faith, Liberty University, and the Thomas Road Baptist Church! I am hoping all of this is weighing in on him as a serious ordeal!

12. Calminian

Site Supporter

That fact that you think one bad joke destroys the Falwell name is particularly sad. The judgmental attitude you display is much more disturbing the Falwell's lapse. I would invite you listen to Jesus. Remove the log cabin from you own eye so you can see clearly to remove the spec from others. I'm much much much more concerned about you.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, J jr gave an apology. WHY Because he was truly sorry - or did he do so because he got caught?
    and Scarlett - excellent post! (# 44)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Calminian

Site Supporter

I'll add this. We represent Christ by accurately portraying his teachings. Jesus disparaged the legalistic unforgiving culture of his day. Adopting the modern cancel culture is not representing Christ on earth.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, we can be forgiving - but as I stated before - did he apologize only because he got caught. and remember - this is not the first episode. This is what broke the camels back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand. The question will still be, Why risk it?

If there is not a compelling reason with a satisfying resolution (did his advisors recommend his antics and posting?), then there may well be a legitimate move to remove him to avoid further, possibly much worse embarrassment and controversy in the future.

It is not merely a matter of his own reputation, but of those with whom he is associated. Much is at risk where leaders are concerned. It comes with the territory and should be understood before undertaking the task. I'm not at all in favor of condemnation, but I may be in favor of stepping down. Depends.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God lifts up and tears down.
    While Jerry Falwell Jr has been removed from his physical position as President of Liberty University, God has redeemed him and thus will be with him in whatever capacity and role God chooses for him next.
    God does a wonderful job of humbling his children and making us into His image. It's just that some actions of God are more visible to others. In this case, God is humbling Mr Falwell.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. And stepping down does not have to be with dishonor. They can still acknowledge all the good he has done, even help him transition.

I recall a Christian manager explaining he did not fire people with malice, but with the admonition to learn a lesson and determine to do better in the next position.

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I fired my secretary at one job - but I gave her a two week notice.

20. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess what I don't understand is how this is OK with you and others here. And you did not answer any of my questions.

C'est la vie. I'm done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.