1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Mark's Great Commission

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Nov 29, 2016.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, could it be that Mark was using the word "world" in a more personal sense?

Preach the Gospel to the world where you live - to your neighbors.
    Preach the Gospel to the world where you learn - to your school mates.
    Preach the Gospel to the world where you work - to your fellow employees/customers.
    Preach the Gospel to the world where you play - to those you bowl/golf/etc. with.

Is it possible Mark was saying "Preach the Gospel to YOUR world?"

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like that way of putting it. I've often meditated on this passage and thought about an individual Christian reaching everyone he can reach around him.

But I'm sure you'll agree, each believer also has a responsibility to support and pray for world missions if he doesn't go himself. The GCs especially in Matthew ("all nations"), Luke ("all nations") and Acts ("ends of the earth") all indicate international, cross-cultural efforts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely! I have a responsibility to reach my world, but my responsibility does not end there. I am also responsible for reaching (in your case) the people in Japan, and I do that by supporting missionaries in that country. (We supported Roland & Sandra Simeonsson in Japan for years. Didn't know you at that time. :) )

But, on the other hand, supporting a foreign missionary does not relieve me of my responsibility to reach my world.

I see the Great Commission as being all inclusive. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We agree completely.

Strangely enough, I never met the Simeonssons, but have heard many good things about them. Their co-worker, Bill Griffin, came and pastored a military work which was near us, Yokosuka Baptist Church. We had wonderful fellowship with them, and they were very good to us, especially when the dollar was at its weakest in Japan.

• Like Like x 1
  5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praise the Lord!
    The great thing about being a teacher is you can research and write as part of your job/ministry!

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that is part of the world -
    and actually, sometimes those you know are the hardest to witness to.
    Not because they are hard to reach - but rather, we are afraid they will reject the
    message - and then ultimately us.

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes...sorry my intent in the first post was not clear.
    I do not oppose certain technology, and advances...as you list them.
    Like with anything else.....they can be used for good or evil purposes......

Well meaning Christians perhaps make movies, or try and illustrate and convey biblical truth......but these "short cuts" can also be perverted by cults and false teachers.....
    the fact that counterfeit teaching happens should not keep us from being obedient...

The use of the word by God raising up locals, nationals, from whatever place on earth...where they already have the language is going to perhaps be a repeatable pattern that then can be broadcast perhaps by radio to reach the masses....
    I think recently of a missionary family that struggled to acquire language capacity[ Spanish]....and if I understand correctly.....it did not happen the way we would like it to......It is nice that they attempted to serve God this way....but my thought was....why when we have so many bi language people already equipped who speak Spanish fluently does a couple seek to do this?
    There are other groups[ other languages] that we do not have bilingual people yet.....so perhaps a focus could look into this ....
    This would take some of the most gifted servants, who have the capacity to acquire language skills.
    The issue seems to be getting trained pastors who can over see local men and give the theological oversight needed to form stable local assemblies.

While we are commanded to Go.....perhaps we have not done enough going....so God is bringing those people here, illegal aliens, persecuted persons....even those who intend to destroy the west,[terrorists}.
    One question we must face is are we equipped to deal with those who are different from us,different cultures, races, worldviews, as we find them here?
    Or do we avoid them because they are different from us and we are not quite "comfortable " with that difference?
    You and others were sent by God to distant places.....but we are all sent to someone each day, if we are vessels fit for the masters use.

If we do not cultivate an outward focus here.....it will not manifest itself out there.....
    God has an eternal outward focus that is worldwide;
    51 And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;

52 And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad

#47 Iconoclast, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three ways to accomplish it.

Pass out as many gospel tracts as possible
    Talk to as many as possible or write letters
    Do some open air preaching

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would they join your church of all the options? Lots of churches in Denver and lots of progressives. The church I attend is small but focuses on depth of scripture.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ben Hur would be one such film.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or via street evangelism.

12. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I liked what I read here, Kyredneck. I scrolled down to see how your point was answered, but in vain. Not even acknowledged.

That is to bad. Because any discussion on the GC ought to consider to whom it was written - the apostles in Christ's immediate hearing.

This is not to say that we here today should not also be concerned about evangelizing. Just that this passage should not be our go-to text. Because a wrong application here leads to a wrong application of eschatology. But understanding the mission field of the GC as coextensive with the Roman Empire (οἰκουμένη) fits in very well with the verses you wrote. It truly is a done deal.

BTW, the GC is not the only passage where Christians have overlooked the importance of audience relevance. Pentecostals, for instance, misconstrue Christ's personal prophecies and promises to His twelve disciples (miracle-working, etc.) into ongoing commandments for Christians today.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, I'm used to it. I don't sleep over 8 hrs at night worrying about being ignored on the BB. :) Not here to be popular, only to articulate as I see the scriptures, take it or leave it.

I derive great joy from recognizing that Christ's words were altogether fulfilled. That Isaiah 55:10-11 was perfectly demonstrated. Yet I get the feeling that the evangelicals on board somehow feel threatened by it.

How about a passage such as this for a "go-to" text?:

15 but sanctify in your hearts Christ as Lord: being ready always to give answer to every man that asketh you a reason concerning the hope that is in you, yet with meekness and fear 1 Peter 3

But it requires another 'great commission', given directly to the Church, to produce the mature Christians that have that hope:

28 Take heed unto yourselves, and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit hath made you bishops, to feed the church of the Lord which he purchased with his own blood. Acts 20

Actually it was the network of synagogues throughout the known world that served as a conduit for the incredibly fast spread of the gospel, Roman Empire or not.

So right, this most certainly is NOT the only passage wrongly applied due to ignoring audience relevance. It's as if few know of Hodge's first rule of interpretation:

"The Scriptures are to be taken in the sense attached to them in the age and by the people to whom they were addressed.".

#53 kyredneck, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So does mine - our campus is small while our church is larger but we still focus on the depth of Scripture. They can join our church or any number of other good churches in the area. Because the pastors from the evangelical churches in the area meet regularly and know and love each other, we can highly recommend other churches to people that we know will preach the gospel and grow these people into faithful followers of Christ.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These are three great methods of evangelism, and I've done all three. I applaud you for using these methods.

However, the goal of Mark's GC is to get the Gospel to "every creature," or every single person on earth. These three methods are localized as you have stated them, though two of them can be used to get the Gospel to "every creature." How can you use them to do that?

Open air preaching in the ministry of such men as George Whitefield and John Wesley could be used to reach "every creature" in a certain town or village, because that was the "entertainment" of the day, and everyone in town would turn out to hear these great evangelists. However, this doesn't happen in the 21st century, so I submit that open air preaching (street preaching as some call it) cannot reach every person in a given area in these times.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I ignore the redneck and others of his odd theological stance and strange aggresiveness.

Oh, really? Look again. The audience for Mark's GC was not "the apostles." That one is Acts 1:8.

So your motive for not obeying Mark's GC is that it might interfere with your non-orthodox full preterism?

17. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ???

14 And afterward he was manifested unto the eleven themselves as they sat at meat; and he upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them that had seen him after he was risen.
    15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to the whole creation. Mk 16

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, this thread is not about whether or not Mark's GC is for us, or whether or not the apostles reached their known world for Christ. I acknowledge that the apostles reached their known world for Christ. That's not the point of this thread. The point is that we are to reach our known world, which includes now virtually every tribe and nation on the globe. So our problem here is, how do we reach our known world?

Concerning the idea that the GC was only for the apostles in their day, once again, that's not in the OP. But I will say this. I oppose that view with all of my heart. It's very close to the hyper-dispensationalist view. It's also similar to the dynamic equivalence theory of Bible translation, which says that we should look for a response in our modern translation that is like the response of the original readers ("reader response theory"). That's hogwash. But if someone wants to push that, then they are free to start their own thread.

Now, hopefully, back to the OP.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure then. Media? The internet? Those methods can reach every creature. However I do not have a TV ministry.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Media is one way to work at it, but it is dependent on who is actually watching or listening. Again, the Internet is great for evangelism, but there are many (old folks especially) who don't have Internet access. Also, media methods and the Internet are dependent on the soul being a searcher. Every person is not reached.

The best way I know to be sure of reaching every person is to go door-to-door. You can knock on every door, but of course just getting a tract in every door without even talking to the people gets the Gospel in some measure to every person.

Acts 5:42--"And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ."

Acts 2:46--"And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart."

Acts 20:20--"And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house."