1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Marriage: Authority Granted by God?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by canadyjd, May 15, 2018.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And there is that word γυναικα he was looking for earlier. Again. :)

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child. And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered. Luke 2:5,6

Was Mary at that time the woman/wife promised in marriage to Joseph, and to be known by him or was she at that time married to him and known by him?

Who promised the woman to the man, Adam? Who promised Mary to Joseph? Or does that even matter, relative to the word marriage?

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mary was Joseph's wife. They were married. They cohabited. They were taxed as husband and wife. The Angel said go ahead with the wedding, and Joseph did as the angel said. But just so we don't think they exercised their nuptial rights while the Child was in the womb, we are told they did not.

They were married. And by virtue of that marriage they were one flesh before there was any sex.

canadyjd is asserting that the sex act is what unites a man and woman in marriage.

4. Billx

Billx Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

5. Billx

Billx Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrew practice was to ask the father of the bride accompanied by the dowry. The engagement was a period where groom either built a home or built onto the family home. When they were done and ready to move in together the family feasted then the consummation. On the next visit to the temple the union was registered.

6. Billx

Billx Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    New

Mary was Joseph's wife. They were married. They cohabited. They were taxed as husband and wife. The Angel said go ahead with the wedding, and Joseph did as the angel said. But just so we don't think they exercised their nuptial rights while the Child was in the womb, we are told they did not.

They were married. And by virtue of that marriage they were one flesh before there was any
    Hebrew practice was to ask the father of the bride accompanied by the dowry. The engagement was a period where groom either built a home or built onto the family home. When they were done and ready to move in together the family feasted then the consummation. On the next visit to the temple the union was registered.

#65A moment ago

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And?

8. Billx

Billx Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was conceived of the Holy Ghost and born of the Virgin Mary. She delivered prior to the date expected. People thought her a fallen woman but Joseph kept her and did not put her away. With the child inside it is doubtful Joseph took her to his bed. I am sure he took her to a home prepared for her. This prefigures Jesus taking us to a home he is prepared for his bride. In both cases the consummation follows.
    You see the Hebrew pattern in the Mary story, Hebrew history and the bride in second coming. The statement we use in the wedding where Jesus attended and beautified should be enough for our justification of a public celebration

9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the Apostle Paul stated in 1 Cor 6 that having s*x with prostitute makes you "one flesh" with her. He then quoted the Genesis passage concerning the establishment of marriage to make his point.

10. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    -concerning the 1 Cor 6 passage- Again, I appreciate the input. I disagree that Paul is using extreme sarcasm in this passage. First, Paul quotes the Genesis passage to support his statement. Second, he then goes on to to state the sin goes beyond their own bodies and relationship with God, affected the body of Christ...i.e. the fellowship/church.

Concerning the use of "guna" in Luke...how is that word parsed? Thanks again

11. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a noun in the dative, singular, feminine.

12. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Relative to what the angel told him, did Joseph have any nuptial rights or did he have betrothal rights?

Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. Matt 1:18
    So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying:
    “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,”[fn] which is translated, “God with us.” 22,23

But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born[fn] of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. Gal 4:4,5

Was to be born of a virgin, law?

What brought about the need to be redeemed? When did that take place?

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.John 6:63 Is the word of God the tree of life?

Whose words are the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, the tree that brings death, the need of redemption.

Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death. James 1:12-15

What happened when they ate of the wrong tree? Who was the first virgin who could bring forth Immanuel?

Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.Ps 51:5

Is that relative all the way back to Cain and Abel? Names in the bible have meaning, I asked Bro Tom concerning the following verse. I will use YLT because it hasn't added what translators consider useful words.

Genesis 4:1 And the man knew Eve his wife, and she conceiveth and beareth Cain, and saith, 'I have gotten a man by Jehovah;'

Did Joseph eat of the word of the God whereas Adam ate of the word of Satan?

I asked either in this thread or another:

And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed. Gen 2:23
    Was the woman betrothed to the man or married to him at this time?
    And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons. Gen 3:7
    Was the woman betrothed to the man or married to him at this time?

BTW, I am just asking, relative to the word of God, does this make sense? I have never read it anywhere or heard it. It is just what has come to me. Some things just seem to fit together.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure whether or not these questions are rhetorical, but . . .

They lived and traveled together. That seems to answer that question.

Adam said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh." Seems pretty clear to me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

The, "bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh," had nothing to do with them being one flesh.

Was the woman who God took from the man, as his help meet, a virgin at that moment? Was she a virgin when they were both naked and unashamed?

Now for rhetorical questions?

Relative to Matt 1:23-25, the moment the man and the woman taken from him, became one flesh, did that negate the woman (Eve) as the mother of the Christ, foreordained before the foundation of the world to be born of woman, born under the law for the purpose of redemption?

As a matter of fact would not communing with Satan, eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, being tempted, see James 1 be the very thing that brought about the need for redemption?

Was Adam created carnal (of the flesh), sold under sin (given a law)?
    If the answer is yes would that establish the following? Romans 8:20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope;

Would that hope be, in the fullness of time a man knew not his betrothed woman until she froth forth her first born son, born under the law?

Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. Psalm 51:5
    Did this apply all the way back to the first children born? Why? They were commanded to be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth.
    Was God trespassed against in the first, one flesh?

Why?

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; Heb 2:14
    He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8

What was the devil doing in the garden where God put the man he had created and then took the woman from him?

Who was God, out to destroy and how was he going to destroy, him?

15. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

John 2:1-12 King James Version (KJV)
    And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there:
    2 And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage.

Being that God ordained marriage, God attended "a marriage", and God plans a big wedding for His Son and the "Bride of Christ" why wouldn't He want Christians to HONOUR the institution of marriage and the symbolism of His future "wedding" by having a preacher of the Gospel perform a ceremony? I mean, aren't we to honor God in everything we do? I say., thank God for weddings and for PREACHERS presiding over them.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The woman at the well that met Jesus said that she had no husband and Jesus agreed with her that she had no husband but she had numerous husbands before and the man she was with right now was not her husband (giving the impression that they were "living together" and having relations but not being married). Here is a case of a couple sleeping together and Jesus Himself not considering it a marriage.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ... the LORD God ... brought her unto the man.
    God 'walked her down the ailse' so to speak.

... And Adam said, This is now [not before, and not after sex] bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh ...
    Here, Adam makes a pledge to the woman, and gives her his name.

In this wedding ceremony, Adam and Eve became one flesh.

18. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus told the woman to go get her husband.Jesus seems to be saying she had a husband out there somewhere. He then told her she had had five husbands.

Jesus did not say she had been married and divorced 5 times, but that she had had 5 husbands.

Several ways to look at that, I suppose. She had been married and divorced 5 times. That seems unlikely to me, given the culture, and that isnt what Jesus said.

That she had been with 5 men who were the husbands of other women. Could be, i guess, but Jesus indicates the 5 men were each a husband to her, not to other women.

She had no husband and the man she was with was not her husband.

Seems to me Jesus is telling her she does have a husband. The first man she became one flesh with. She then had relations with 5 other men, becoming one flesh - husband and wife- and the last one that she was currently with was not her original husband. The original bond of marriage had been broken by her unfaithfulness.

Jesus is trying to get her to understand the true nature of the marriage relationship and her need to repent for her undaithfulness to her husband.

19. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You could look at that from a different angle too. Jesus, being God, knew all about this woman before he came to the well. So He told her to "bring thine husband" but ONLY to elicit an answer from her. Some of those husbands could have died but it's not likely that all did. She may have just been PUT AWAY by those 5 husbands; but it does not say that either. But if God called the first 5 "husbands", that's what they were; "husbands". The lady was married 5 times. Maybe she had given up having a real "husband" after the fifth. This didn't take place in modern women's-lib America as it was a time when women were often considered property and treated as such. The point of the story, is that she had finally found a "MAN" who really cared enough about her, to tell her "all things that ever I did" and she BELIEVED on Him saying "is not this the Christ?" She had finally found the "man" she could trust to LOVE HER. And "repentance" for her, would have been discontinuing that illicit relationship immediately as she had found the love and peace she had longed for all along.. And I'm sure she did.

20. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    SheepWhisperer: Very interesting the idea that Jesus was telling her that he was the one she could trust. I don't really doubt that.

The thread is considering the concept of marriage (whether you need a pastor to say certain things or is it something more simple) and one flesh in reference to the 1 Cor 6 passage where Paul tells us that if you bond with a prostitute you become one flesh with her. He then quotes that Genesis passage establishing marriage and the one flesh statement.

Thanks for the input