1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Mary Sightings in History

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by saturneptune, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You fail to see that from the Bibler, NOT RCC traditions, God bypassed mary sinner nation, via Virgin birth, and allowed Humanity without sin to be received by God the Son, as his humanity in nature was like the first Adam when he was originally created!

there was ONLY one person in all of history who was virgin born , jesus, mary was not! She was just as much a sinner as you and me before saved by grace of God!

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is wrong. In the NT, the ark is Christ. In 1Pet.3 Noah came through the flood in an ark. The ark saved him. The waters destroyed the world and all humanity. The water represents destruction. The ark represents salvation. Salvation is only through Christ. The ark is Christ, by which we are saved, even his resurrection, as the verse says. Mary is dead in the grave. She has not risen. She is dead.
    Pure conjecture; man's reasoning. It is the sign of weak faith, the denial of the power of God.
    No, God touches many things.
    Where do you get these fairy tales from?
    That is your line. It is not in the Bible. It is fiction.
    And Paul always addressed himself as the servant of the Lord. They mean the same thing. So what.
    The Bible calls Deborah, in the OT, the same thing.
    I was full of the grace of God the day I was saved.
    There are plenty of exceptions.
    Every believer, that is every one who is genuinely saved becomes indwelt by the Holy Spirit the day he is saved. As he goes on in his Christian life, he is commanded to be filled with the Holy Spirit. If he is genuinely filled with the Holy Spirit, there is no room for anything else, one might say. I can claim to be filled with the grace of God as well.
    I am saved by grace through faith and not of works.

3. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Matthew 22:42 (KJV) Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The Son of David.
    43 He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying,
    44 The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?
    45 If David then call him Lord, how is he his son?
    46 And no man was able to answer him a word, neither durst any man from that day forth ask him any more questions.

Jesus showed the Pharisees that God was not born of the lineage of David when He asked "How is He his son?"

Luke 1:46 (KJV) And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,
    47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

And Mary, like David centuries before her, acknowledged the Second Person of the Trinity existed prior to the man Christ Jesus being born in the flesh.

When the man Christ Jesus was born, he had within him two natures. That divine nature, the second Person of the Trinity did not originate within the womb of Mary, He existed from everlasting to everlasting.

Mary was not the 'mother of God, just as God was not David's son.

*** For a simple explanation, read this article.

4. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

No, 1 Timothy 3:15 doesn't mention Mary, but that is a non seqitur. It vouches for the veracity of the church and the church teaches the Immaculate Conception. Therefore, if you believe the Bible you have to believe in the Immaculate Conception.

#84 Zenas, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2012
  5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    paul had NO idea there would even be the RCC, much less refer to it here! he was referring to individual saints like we all are called in Christ, who are the church!

If NOT in the Bible, doesn't matter who holds to it, as its not from god that viewpoint!

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A few questions:

If Mary was the mother of God and the Holy Spirit is God, was Mary also the mother of the Holy Spirit? How about the Father - who is also God?

If Mary was the mother of God, where God before He was born? A mother is a source of a life - so that means that God didn't exist before He was born.

Was Mary from everlasting?

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1 Timothy 3:15 but if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how men ought to behave themselves in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

We will consider the true meaning of this verse in a minute.
    But first:
    1. The RCC did not come into being until the 4th century, so it is certain that Paul never had that in mind.

2. It is ridiculous even to think of "Tradition" as this letter was written ca. 60 A.D. and Christ died ca. 30 A.D., a time span of about 30 years. According to the RCC encyclopedia 30 years is not enough time to build up what would fit into their definition of "tradition." What tradition would they have in 30 years? "Tradition" used in the Bible always referred to the truth of the Bible as it was taught in the Bible. And there was nothing in the Bible taught about the Immaculate Conception. Even to imply such is absurd, and heretical. It goes against Scripture that Mary was a sinner, and even offered a sin-offering on her own behalf.
    Why fight Biblical truth with RCC fables??

3. In the NT times there was no such thing as "the Church". The word ekklesia means "assembly." The concept of universal church was unheard of. Every time ekkesia is used it means assembly. Check Young's Literal Translation, or Darby's Translation. You will find the word translated "assembly" every time it is used. It is impossible to have an unassembled assembly. Therefore, for the word to either refer to the RCC as "church" or to refer to the "church universal" makes it an impossible translation.

4. So then, what does the verse mean?
    The church is the pillar and ground of the truth.
    Timothy is the recipient of this letter. Timothy is also the pastor of the church at Ephesus. Paul was referring to the local church at Ephesus. Architecturally he may have had the Temple of Diana in mind, referred to in Acts 19. This was in Ephesus, and was considered one of the wonders of the world at that time. Huge columns or pillars held up the porch of this temple.

In a much greater way the local church was to be built on the pillar of truth. As that pillar held up a huge porch, the pillar of the local church held up something of greater value--the truth of the Word of God. Everywhere we go we go proclaiming the truth, the gospel. That is the duty of the local church. They are to be a pillar of the truth--holding it up, proclaiming it everywhere, for all to hear.

They are also to be a ground of the truth. Look at 1Cor.3:11
    1 Corinthians 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
    --Every local church must have Jesus Christ as its foundation.
    Jesus said: "I am the way, the truth and the life."
    He is the truth. Our foundation must be built on him. We uphold the truth and we stand on the truth--the truth of the Word of God in whom Christ is found. We stand upon him, and we proclaim him. Every Bible-believing local church will be doing this.

But alas the RCC is far from this. It has nothing to do with this.
    It disdains the very principles that allows local churches to carry out this commission: sola fide, sola scriptura, and even soul liberty.

8. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Evidently you only believe those parts of the Bible with which you agree. Looks like you just rejected 1 Timothy 3:15 by placing a lot of phony qualifiers on it. The OHCAC is the only church Jesus established and it is still spreading the only true gospel in the world today, just like Peter, Paul, John, etc.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the ONLY church jesus established was thatone in which the christians were called to be saints and priests to God! Church NOT a building/group/church as you redefine it in being the RCC, but its actually the indivdual chrsitians that meet somewhere in a group/church building!

And the Apostles did NOT preach the Gospel of Rome, as paul would call that another/flase Gospel, one that is not really even one!

10. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

That is not a true statement. If it were true, I would probably be taking your side in this debate. The plain unvarnished truth is that the OHCAC came into being on the day of Pentecost and has continued to be the only true church up to this present day. Granted, the headquarters wasn't always at Rome. Rome became the headquarters upon the arrival of St. Peter about 60 A.D.
    Tradition is the whole teaching of the Church, i.e., the deposit of faith. See Jude 3. It is what St. Paul was talking about in 1 Corinthians 11:2 and 2 Thessalonians 2:15. Note that the Thessalonians letter expressly refers to unwritten teachings--NOT in the Bible. DHK I fear you have been carried away with false teaching.
    Of course when you limit the "church" to a local congregation you have a lot of difficulty with Acts 9:31 and all of Ephesians 5, as well as 1 Timothy 3:15. This is another of your Baptist peccadilloes, DHK, that you believe the church in the Bible always refers to a local congragation. Oh well, I guess that's all right. If you believed otherwise, you would lose one of your Baptist distinctives. I would just point out that the Baptist Faith & Message recognizes that the church refers to both a local congregation and to the whole Christian faith.

This was certainly not an instruction to Timothy to preserve truth (although it would have been a good instruction); it was an instruction as to how to act in the church and a declaration that the church was already the pillar and foundation of the truth.

11. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I beg your pardon. What you call the "gospel of Rome" is the only true gospel. All the others are cheap imitations of the gospel. All the others distort the truth of scripture and totally ignore those they cannot distort.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Zenas, why do you list yourself as a Baptist?

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This saddens me so much. The Gospel of the Scriptures is not what the Catholic church teaches. To say that the Biblical Gospel is a "cheap imitation" and "distort the truth" is downright blasphemous.

14. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

It is Rome that has distorted the Gospel.

They have taken Mary, the humble handmaiden of the Lord and exalted her to a position above God.

They have taken Mary, the humble handmaiden of the Lord and given her the title of a pagan goddess

They have taken Mary, the wife of Joseph and made her to be an adulteress

Rome has perverted the Word of God so as to fabricate a deity of their own vain imaginations..

15. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I'm still a member and regular attender of a Southern Baptist church. I will probably convert soon. The only problem is that I really love the people I go to church with and I don't particularly like some of the people in the local Catholic church.

16. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

If only you could see the truth. You won't permit yourself to examine the evidence with a searching heart for fear of the consequences.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What then would give you the motivation to convert?

Isn't what you see part of the evidence of what Christianity is?

John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another; even as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
    35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

You are totally missing the point and totally not understanding the issue. No one is saying Mary conceived the deity of Jesus. But unless you divide His two natures, you must admit that she BORE Him in His completeness -- and that includes His deity.

19. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I find it quite ironic that some of those on here who have called me heretic, apostate, and worse, are now proclaiming and defending one of the most ancient heresies. Amazing!

20. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Okay, after reading the rest of the thread, I need to make something crystal clear: I deny and do not believe any of the Mariolatry of the RCC; it is simply superstition and paganism with absolutely no basis in scripture whatsoever.

But I also deny Nestorianism -- separating the two natures of Jesus -- which the Baptists on here are defending. One can deny Nestorianism without buying into all the RCC false teachings about Mary. One can even use the term "Mother of God" without buying into those teachings. The only thing that the term means is that since Jesus was both fully deity and fully human, Mary bore His humanity and deity -- NOT conceived His deity, but BORE it!!! If you deny that, you deny the full deity of Jesus. Some of you seem unable to grasp that.

And just to think: some have called me a heretic -- what a hoot!