1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Met with the deacons and became a member

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When one speaks of membership, he is speaking of an office of which there are certain responsibilities and privileges, one of which is a say in how the church is governed.

Some churches have ranks of members, by which I mean that some are accepted as members, but may not teach or be given any other responsibilities for a certain time by which it is assumed anything too scandalous or disqualifying will have surfaced.

Do you just willy-nilly baptize people? Do you have no orientation or period of instruction by which the qualifications of the baptismal candidates are assertained?

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And who determines whether faith is evident?

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you are missing the point in a congregational church. From my experience, this voting is acknowledging the statement of faith (by the congregation in congregationally governed churches) and a commitment on the part of the congregation. Rather than saying “you believe, then come on in” some churches feel a need to make sure the person knows what they believe…and that it is the gospel. Like I said earlier, my church no longer does this, but growing up the congregation really did have responsibility in Baptist churches. I’ve never seen a congregation object to one’s statement of faith. But they (not a committee) really chose the pastor and voted on decisions of the church. From my experience, this “Baptist distinctiveness” really no longer exists in many Baptist churches (a committee really chooses the pastor, members are not affirmed by the congregation, changes are made by pastoral staff, etc. and the “vote” is merely a formality).

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Up North......yes, absolutely. Thats more the standard.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who sets the standard? The congregation or the pastors and deacons?

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know...probably all the above. Its quite liberal and post modern in most cases.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that's my point. Biblically, the congregation has the say in who joins. It is a vote however loosely and liberally it is cast.

8. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you're making a pretty bold assumption that the average congregation is full of mature, biblically sound believers. I don't think I'd agree.

I wonder what the church at Corinth might have considered too scandalous ? Maybe a man having his father's wife ?
    Oh, wait. They openly accepted a guy like that and had to be rebuked for it

I'm not really in favor of an entire congregation having a majority say-so on anything spiritual. The reason is that the majority of any congregation is lacking in discernment, maturity, biblical knowledge.

The majority of genuine believers wouldn't know the difference between a wolf and an antelope
    That's why there are pastors and elders to train, guide, protect

That might depend on 2 things:
    1) are we guided by scripture or our flesh?
    I don't see any sort of probationary vetting period for the 3,000 who were added to the church on Pentecost, or the Ethiopian eunuch, or anyone else in scripture, for that matter. I wonder how long John the Baptist observed those who came to the banks of the Jordan before he invited them into the water

2) does love believe all things, or is love suspicious of all things? and how legalistic do we want to be?
    If we require everyone to "have it all together" before baptizing them, I can assure you that the water will become quite stale from lack of stirring.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hahaha....last week a pastor contacted me and asked me to take over leadership of a small groups meeting in my area. With it would be a Eldership if it takes off and grows. See the pastor invisions small church groups operating throughout Northern New Jersey under his pastoral umbrella. This is the way things are going today.....and I find it hilarious.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assmed no such thing.

Yes, that's right. Congregations do wrong many times.

How does that bear on the example of the Apostles in the verse I cited?

. . . but not to lord.

Now who's making assumptions? Where did I say we require everyone to "have it all together?" All I said was that the congregation has a say. That implies that there are qualifications, but that there are qualifications is plainly laid before us in the narrative of John the Baptist. John sent the Pharisees away. Their repentance was not genuine, and demanded fruits meet for repentance before baptizing them.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We do vote but the week before, the names of the potential new members are posted in the bulletin and the pastor speaks the names from the pulpit. In the very few cases where there has been a known issue, a congregant would go to the pastor to let him know that there are issues with a potential new member and then that is handled as it needs to be. I honestly don't know of any case recently where we have had a problem though. But this way, instead of in the service someone saying "No", they have the opportunity to address it privately.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CANT RESIST......well as long as you "assmeded" it!:laugh:

13. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

There are different ways congregations handle taking someone into the church. I was of the opinion most Baptist can take a candidate in by letter of recommendation given by another Baptist church of like faith. The Moderator opens the doors of the church in the business meeting reads the name of the candidate before the church members present and calls for a motion and a second and all in favor say yay, all oppose say nay and stand and state your reason. Then the church comes around and gives them the right hand of fellowship. With someone that has been saved and don't belong to another church the candidate is required to give a testimony of faith in the Lord Jesus and then the motion and second is put before the church and if received the candidate must be baptized into the church. Other congregations do it differently. The pastor calls for anyone that believes like the church does to come up before the assembly to present themselves for baptism. The candidate don't have to give a testimony of faith because baptism say's it all.

14. thisnumbersdisconnected

Ohhhhh ... the temptation!

[​IMG]

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Why do you find it hilarious?

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Assmed. Hmmm....is that like a horse pill for a donkey?

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL....gee I don't really know! If I was to venture a guess, maybe a medication a proctologist‎ would proscribe??? :laugh:

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because I only met the guy one time & now he wants to build a whole group around me. I haven't even had coffee with him.