1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Milk of the word of God.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by 37818, Nov 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oops, I re-read your previous post and realize your statement of "20 years later" was for the Hebrews, not Peter.

2. OfLivingWaters

OfLivingWaters Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

It is incredible the diluting of the faith which takes place under certain denominations . It is clear all scripture is first to the Jew then the gentile. Yes the epistle is called Hebrews but Hebrew means- one who has traversed (Traversed One). Since one is a Jew when he is one inwardly it is clear that Hebrew has to do with the spirit within ALL believers (THE TRAVERSED SPIRIT). One who has come from one place (state) to another,those who are brought to maturity are the Hebrew ones. We have traversed and come from a mighty long way. Our circumcised spirit makes us of the Hebrew. Hebrews is dealing with what the OP addresses,
    the Meat of the Word. It would seem those who drink milk can not understand that.

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is unfortunate that you cannot discuss these passages without making personal attacks.

Thanks for the conversation. Peace to you.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The promise of Acts chapter 2 had not been totally fulfilled. Israel as a nation rejected Christ at the preaching of the apostles.
    The City of Jerusalem was still being "trodden down" by the Gentile Romans, the Times of the Gentiles had not been fulfilled.
    The "Days of Vengeance" (Luke 21:22) had not happened and as a church (Jerusalem) they were beginning to doubt and to wonder.

5. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Doubt and wonder about what?

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the Book of Hebrews in totem. It is ALL about Jesus Christ and the transition from Judaism (Moses) of the Old Covenant to Jesus and the New Covenant and His Sabbath of eternal rest..

Hebrews 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
    2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
    3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
    4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the Book of Hebrews and find out.

8. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have , your point? Did someone question His name?

9. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have your point? I have made mine, you make comments..... back them up with scripture please as I have ,Sola Scriptura, guided by the Holy Spirit please.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes right after the prologue (which itself shows part of the answer) - Who is Jesus Christ?

Hebrews 1
    5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?
    6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.
    7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
    8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

The rest of the book answering to who He is and what He has done as superior to the Old Covenant - the "shadow" of things to come.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where is your scripture for "the traversed Spirit"

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Book of Hebrews as stated in the prologue is the message of these last days given by the Son of God who later is shown to be worshiped by angels as well as several other proofs of His deity transcending everything in the law the shadow of good things to come.

13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem stems from one or many not understanding the mere milk of the word. And from the beginning of replies in this thread, it was argued ". . . the principles of the doctrine of Christ, . . ." was meat not milk. Where one does not even know God if one does not know the essential "doctrine of Christ" (2 John 1:9). It is agreed, I think, that the essential gospel (1 Corinthians 15:3-4) is part of that milk.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The meat is the difficult to digest.
    It is/was difficult for the Jewish mind to accept the fulfilling of the Abrahamic Covenant to include the Gentiles particularly since it was Gentiles (Romans) who were holding Israel hostage who were defiling the Holy City of Jerusalem and persecuting them (Hebrews).

15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The milk was identified (Hebrews 5:12-14; Hebrews 6:1-3).

16. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    HEBREWS, the word HEBREW itself means (TRAVERSED ONE). You may have missed that, I do not know how you did in my post but you did. As long as Hebrews in word is there the meaning within the word is. For all words have meanings and as far as scripture goes there is always meaning in names.

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it doesn't in the Greek text .While it is a transliterated word at the time it meant the covenant citizens of Israel

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SO? These are things which accompany salvation, basic principles.

There are more difficult principles than Christ died for you sins (repentance from our dead works).

Principles which are difficult to be understood as Peter said.

19. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually it does. Abraham was the first to be called Hebrew. Here is a simple common place to find out the meaning , anyone has access to this information Wikipedia
    The definitive origin of the term "Hebrew" remains uncertain. The Biblical term Ivri (עברי; Hebrew pronunciation: [ʕivˈri]), meaning "to traverse" or "to pass over", is usually rendered as Hebrew in English, from the ancient Greek Ἑβραῖος and the Latin Hebraeus.

In fact, the Torah in parashat Lekh Lekha ("go!" or "leave!", literally "go for you") calls Abraham Avram Ha-Ivri ("Abram the Hebrew"), which translates literally as "Abram the one who stands on the other side.

When Abram now known as Abraham , after being renamed by God- was to to leave his father and kinsmen , he did. HE TRAVERSED from one side of the river, that river: the great Euphrates River, to the land of Canaan.
    The Hebrew Abraham was called to traverse. As for all the meaning behind this I would not reveal here because people like you deny what is right in front of your faces in clear cut evidence.

Everyone wants to be a teacher. Be careful what you teach.

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't mention the Hebrew, I talked about the Greek transliteration. It had lost its original Hebrew meaning of which there was no certainty, you chose some one elses opinion.

The Book of Hebrews on every page shows the superiority of Christ over anything else (except the Godhead) heaven has to offer.
    It was necessary because biblical Judaism was shortly coming to an end.

Talmudic Judaism is a futile attempt to keep biblical Judaism alive.
    The question is begged - Why go back to that which is passing away?

In AD 70 it was destroyed along with the Temple and the Levitical priesthood taken captive and/or put to death.
    Of the 613 or so mitzvouth about 200 cannot be kept because here is no temple, no viable priesthood.
    Break one, break them all.

To be sure we in this the church age can take heed to the warnings by application.