1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Milk of the word of God.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by 37818, Nov 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reference I cited for " the foundation of repentance from dead works." is Ephesians 2:8-9, ". . . For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God: Not of works, . . ." I could add, Romans 4:5, ". . . to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. . . ." And Romans 11:6, ". . . if by grace, then [is it] no more of works: . . ." And Titus 3:5, ". . . Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, . . ." Or even Hebrews 4:10, ". . . For he that is entered into His rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God [did] from his. . . ."

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. Be careful what you teach.

First, my Hebrew professor in seminary thought "Abram" meant "exalted father" and "Abraham" meant "father of a multitude". Perhaps one of our Hebrew experts on BB can shed some light on this?

Second, I don't think the word "Hebrew" is found in the letter that was later given the name "Hebrews". The name given later is not part of inspired scripture.

Third, Wikipeia is not a scholarly source for anything, especially biblical questions.

3. OfLivingWaters

OfLivingWaters Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It does mean exalted father and I did not say that Abraham meant Traversed One I said Abraham is the first to be called Hebrew, I gave the meaning for the name title( Hebrew). The interpretation I gave is of Hebrew doctrine . It simply says he was the first to be called a Hebrew. I do not know what you thought you read. Lastly I said Wikipedia is a simple source not MAIN source. And concluded with I would NOT get into the details of the Hebrew text here because people here do not accept what is put in front of their face as clear proof of this or that. Another words a waste of time.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Farewell then.

5. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Arrivederci !

6. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I must have misunderstood your post when you stated, "Abraham" was translated "Abram the Hebrew". If you weren't saying "Abraham" means "Abram the Hebrew" then I apologize.

Concerning your frequent attacks on people who disagree with you as diluting the faith and not accepting what is put in front of their face and so on.... this is a debate forum.

People who disagree, especially professing Christians, should be able to discuss scripture without those kinds of comments.

7. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not a problem, concerning your first point, I was showing the Hebrew words for 'Abram the Hebrew 'when he was called that by God, HEBREW.

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please show me in scripture where God referred to Abraham as "Abram the Hebrew".

9. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ABRAM THE HEBREW

'And there came one that had escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew.' Genesis xiv :13 Hebrew Bible

Abram Rescues Lot .'Berean study Bible Genesis14:13-14
    13Then an escapee came and reported this to( Abram the Hebrew). Now Abram was living near the oaks of Mamre the Amorite, a brother of Eshcol and Aner, all of whom were bound by treaty to Abram. 14And when Abram heard that his relative had been captured, he assembled the 318 trained men born in his household, and they set out in pursuit as far as Dan.…

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are the scriptures God breathed? Who penned Genesis and who would have been the one to tell the writer of Genesis that Abram is the Hebrew....the escapee or the Spirit of God ? God knows you better than you know yourself.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speaketh of thyself John Alden?

12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, God spoke to Abraham directly. If you had said scripture refers to Abraham as Abram the Hebrew, that would be more accurate than saying God did.

Not to argue, thouhh.

13. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let me address the passive aggressive approach of yours since you TRIED to tell me something about how I word things to people. Your coy attitude is really the problem , and I do not speak like a cream puff to appease anyone.

It is a known fact that Moses is the one who wrote the Torah, your "Hebrew" teacher must have told you that. Who then relayed the history of Abraham to him? If there is about 420-430 years between Abraham and Moses, who inspired Moses to write about Abraham's life?

Here I will help you with this one too:
    All Scripture is God-Breathed
    …15From infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for doctrine, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be complete, fully equipped for every good work.…

What is the Breath of God?
    John 20:22
    22When He had said this, He BREATHED on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.

So it would seem that Moses prompted by the Spirit of God was inspired to write and GIVE US a recap of what took place in Abraham's life.

So If God told Moses about "Abram the Hebrew" do you think Abraham did not know of this? And since it is Abraham who is the first to be called this in scripture, don't you think God called him this?

Moses was NOT prophesying of future, he was giving a recounting of someones life who had already been. So God did call Abraham, then Abram, "Abram the Hebrew" because He called him this to Moses.

When and where did Moses write and receive the Torah?
    From the Torah or Bible, you may have a different numbering in your bible Chp. verses.
    Deuteronomy 4:44
    This is the Teaching that Moses set before the Israelites:

Numbers 9:23
    On a sign from the LORD they made camp and on a sign from the LORD they broke camp; they observed the LORD’s mandate at the LORD’s bidding through Moses.

It is tradition that Moses received the Torah while on Mount Sinai , but either way- wherever he wrote all the books, whether upon the mountain and some among the people He wrote about Abraham- inspired by God to do so.

14. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said, thanks for the conversation. Peace to you.