1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Moderation is what helps- not teetotalism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to answer that but quite frankly I do not understand what your questions is. What you have posted backs up what I am saying. Of course we all know the passages about being sober minded.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Your anecdote had someone being influenced to do something that they could not handle by someone who COULD handle it.

That's not congruent with the weaker brother principle in Scripture.

We cannot go verse by verse properly without first getting the overall context. That is what I provided.

It does mean ignorant when the issue is REPEATEDLY identified in the text as knowledge versus LACK OF KNOWLEDGE.

The weaker brother is one who does not know what the stronger brother knows. That is why he is weaker.

A lack of knowledge is ignorance.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You live in Mississippi. Don't they grow tobacco there? Whose reports have you been reading? Tobacco backed junk science is my guess!
    It is proven fact of science that pipe smoking is a major cause of cancer to the mouth. Any kind of second hand smoke is damaging to the health of others, not only to yourself.

Smoking won't send you to hell; it will only make you smell like you have already been there.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, beneficial about smoking.
    Smoking and alcohol are the two biggest drains on our health care system. If people gave them up what a tremendous savings in cost to all involved there would be in the health care system. Their resources could be allocated to those who really need it.
    Have you been following this discussion?
    The context is one who, as soon as he left home began to drink. He also joined the army at the same time, presumably was not married. Marriage was not in the equation. Sex is wrong outside of marriage. And that is what I said. I was also speaking of sex with more than one partner. Is that all right within the bounds of marriage? You don't seem to read and understand well.
    Where did you get that lame definition?
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vice

The word "vice" is a noun; "a vice." It is not a verb--something you do, as you have defined it.
    --Drinking alcohol, whether one glass or one firkin is a vice. It is the "drinking of alcohol" that is the vice. It is the corruption, the wickedness, the moral depravity. It has nothing to do with the amount. Have you had your firkin today?
    (In answer to your other post, just as we don't speak middle English today [most don't have any idea what a firkin is], so people wouldn't speak koine Greek or OT Hebrew today either. Learning to speak Biblical languages would be a vain exercise in discipline, not a profitable one.)

When the government raises taxes on alcoholic beverages and tobacco they deliberately call it a "sin tax." Even the unsaved know that it is a "vice." They call it "sin." It is amazing how the government will label these as sin, but a man who says he is a baptist pastor will not. Truly amazing!
    Your opinion. The dictionaries say others.
    Even governments say otherwise.
    Again, you are foolish enough not to follow this conversation. I mentioned marijuana, cocaine and LSD--all non-prescript drugs. We all have taken prescription drugs at one time or another for varying ailments. That is not the subject. That is an entirely different subject--a red herring.
    --But am I to assume that you will inject yourself with heroin, even in "moderation,"? Are you really saying that? Will snort cocaine? Do it in front of your children? Teach them to do it "moderately" so the world doesn't have to teach them? Really--not a vice??
    Nooooo. It is not a vice!! It is just illegal; comes with a jail sentence, and in some countries the death penalty is attached to it. A vice??
    Taking drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes are not vices you say.
    And then you tell me I am the one without knowledge.
    You need to do your homework.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes we can. The Scriptures say what they say, and everything you want to argue will be covered. Paul said weak in faith. Faith does not equal knowledge. So your weakness = ignorance assertion has to be corrected

Are you willing to go verse by verse or not?

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Well, as usual there is what backwater Independent Fundamentalism teaches and then there's the facts...

A US Surgeon General report “Smoking and Health”(No. 1103, page 112) noted,“Death rates for current pipe smokers were little if at all higher than for non-smokers, even with men smoking 10 pipefuls per day and with men who had smoked pipes for more than 30 years.” On page 92 the report also stated, “Pipe smokers who inhale live as long as nonsmokers and pipe smokers that don’t inhale live longer than non-smokers.

#106 Luke2427, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
  7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Context first.

I should not have to tell you that. There is not a reputable exegete on the planet who does not know that.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Comment then, on Romans 14:1-4.

#108 Aaron, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
  9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You contend that completely sober-minded is a Biblical mandate, correct?

In these verses we see that deacons and aged women are allowed to drink wine, but not to excess, however, bishops are not to drink at all. That means that Paul is advocating moderation in the consumption of alcohol when it comes to deacons and aged women.

The ESV renders 1 Tim 3:8-- Deacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued, not addicted to much wine,, NASB says the same thing and the NIV does so at Titus 2:3.

So teetotalism is not Biblical, but moderation is.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are reading into it more than is there. Your is an assumption without much support.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Maybe your lifespan is about the same? So?
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/harmful-health-effects-smoking-cigarettes.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/321053-the-risks-of-smoking-pipe-tobacco/

Take that and put it in your pipe.
    But you will not take that info because you simply want to justify your vices no matter what they are. Truth is denied at all costs, isn't it?

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bible says deacons should not be addicted to much wine, which tells me a little wine, i.e. moderation, is OK. How else can one read these verses? It's plain as day.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is not always as plain as one would like it to be.
    Here is what MacArthur says on p. 75 in his book "Pastoral Ministry,"
    Even after this process they commonly boiled it.
    Either way they could not be given to wine, addicted to wine, etc.
    They had to be alert and clear-minded all the time.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you could not get drunk on wine the Bible wouldn't say for deacons to "not be given to much wine." It's really that simple. Why complicate the plain meaning of the verse?

15. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Exactly. Moderation not abstinence. DHK and others would struggle in Germany where believers consume beer with no guilt.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Germany...ha....geeze, my living room.:laugh:

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said moderation was not ok. In fact I believe that scripture never forbids alcohol. But you run into a problem when you get drunk (or buzzed) or anything less than sober.

19. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm trying to understand your position. You also said:

Is it your position that any intake of alcohol will cause the drinker to lose sobriety? In other words, if a person has, say, 1/2 a beer have they left sobriety?

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.