1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

More liberty gone - NSA has YOUR records

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Magnetic Poles, May 11, 2006.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

1) Just keep clicking your heels together and repeating "There's nothing like the "two" party system", "There's nothing like the "two" party system... Then maybe you'll end up in Kansas or wherever believers in big government go. :rolleyes:

2) Since when do my phone records in calling my brother or sister equal explosives?
    </font>[/QUOTE]

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Funny you mention that. Nichol's only bought some fertilizer to sprinkle on his farm. and some fuel to put in his race-car.

A standard propane tank was used as a fuel air bomb to destroy an American Embassy.

I can buy enough chemicals at my local Wal-Mart to destroy every house on your block, including the inhabitants without anybody even paying attention to what I am buying.

3. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

All the more reason that everything you do should be carefully scrutinized by the all seeing eye of Big Government. Is the basic message supposed to be that I can't be trusted, and that the government can? I don't buy into it.

4. standingfirminChrist

several years back, the Readers Digest printed an article on materials needed to make a nuclear bomb.

yes, many bombs can be made with material from walmart. years ago, I made a incendiary device that was triggered by rolling a tractor tire over it (land mine) using materials bought at Radio Shack, and the local Piggly Wiggly.

and no, I did not use the device destructively (to harm life). We lived on a farm at the time and had 39.9 acres to do whatever we wanted to on.

I used an old tire and pushed it down a hill to a orange X on the ground (where the device was buried). Had to roll the tire down hill several times before it finally rolled over the mark.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Conservatives used to against Big Government spying. Now many of them go along with it just because it's George W. Bush doing it. If it was President Clinton or President Gore or President Kerry doing it I have no doubt that they would be against it.

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

You never did answer my question, can I be trusted? Should I have my life an open book to the government?

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My answer, Phillip - no, unless you are a suspect in a criminal investigation.

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

You never did answer my question, can I be trusted? Should I have my life an open book to the government? </font>[/QUOTE]I don't know if you can be trusted or not. Let me rifle through your underwear drawer and in your closets and I'll decide.

9. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

First, I can tell you EXACTLY how to build a nuclear bomb, but you cannot get the materials. Terrorists have been trying for years.

Second, there is difference between an incendiary device you make at home and one I make. Mine would melt through the engine of your car and continue down through the road. What if I were a terrorist? Would you want to know it?

Would you want my rights violated or not? Should I have privacy to make TNT at home or take it home when my car isn't inspected? or Composition 4? Of which two pounds I could level your house? Do you trust me with these items without government oversight?

10. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

What if I were like McVeigh and decided to fill my trunk with military explosives that make ANFO look like fire-crackers? Do I have to have robbed a bank before the government checks into my private life?

11. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Bush said that they were only watching terrorists. Now we find that he thinks tens of millions of us are terrorists.

Or maybe he's just curious what we're doing, and he has the power to check up on us.

We need to clean house. If a president had done this in the thirty years ago, a mob would have descended on the White House, and there would have been a lynching in the Rose Garden.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it interesting, Phillip, that the government wants our lives and activities to be an open book to it, but it wants its activities to be kept a secret from us.

Our government doesn't trust us, but the government expects us to trust it.

13. standingfirminChrist

Philip, not to question what yer saying, but if ya do some research, there was an 11 year old boy in Chicago I believe it was who did build one.

He got enough uranium needed by collecting old smoke detectors from dumps. Little known fact that there is a trace amount of uranium in smoke detectors.

As to our skills at what we know of incendiary devices, I cannot say how much one knows over the other. I can honestly tell you that at 14 years of age I made a bomb that I was told was capable of destroying half of a town that had 10,000 people in it. That incident is on police record and sticks with me. I was even investigated years later when the bomb was set off at the Atlanta Olympics. I was on the east coast at the time, but in Virginia and had been nowhere south of Greensboro, NC for several years.

It was not so much the bomb as to where it was placed. Near gas lines.

As to rights, no one deserves their rights to be violated. Now, the question would be: If one was planning to do an act of terrorism by making an incendiary device or other means, would it be considered violation of rights to obtain a search warrant for the safety of American Citizens? I would have to answer no.

14. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Was McVeigh a suspect in a criminal investigation?

Was Nichol's a suspect in a criminal investigation?

Was the Unibomber a suspect in a criminal investigation?

Finally, again, WHAT SPECIFIC RIGHTS HAVE YOU LOST THAT HAVE CHANGED YOUR EVERYDAY LIFE?

I know of one, I have to take my shoes off at the airport so people can see the holes in my socks.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Therefore, Phillip, you are saying that the government has to treat all of us as suspects to find that one person out of 300 million that might be a Timothy McVeigh.

So, Phillip, since you are willing to discard your Fourth Amendment rights how about giving up your First Amendment right of freedom of religion? Since you apparently so easily discard one right don't complain when the government takes away a right that you actually care about.

16. standingfirminChrist

Was McVeigh a suspect in a criminal investigation?

Was Nichol's a suspect in a criminal investigation?

Was the Unibomber a suspect in a criminal investigation?

Finally, again, WHAT SPECIFIC RIGHTS HAVE YOU LOST THAT HAVE CHANGED YOUR EVERYDAY LIFE?

I know of one, I have to take my shoes off at the airport so people can see the holes in my socks.
    </font>[/QUOTE]LOL, Philip. The last 6 times I flew from one state to another, they chose me for a 'random search'. I know it is not random, I just cannot figure how I look like a terrorist.

Nearest I can figure is that when they asked for my name and social to buy the ticket, they ran the name, found out that I had made bombs in the past, and boom... automatically qualify for a random search! LOL.

But that is ok, I am no longer the man I used to be. If they would ask me, I would tell them 'go ahead and search.' But to say, 'Mr Xxxxx, our computers have randomly selected you for a random search' is nothing but a lie.

17. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Sorry, but there is no uranium used in smoke detectors. There is a very, very tiny alpha emitter "Americium I believe". Uranium is a beta and gamma emitter, it would not work in a smoke detector. It isn't even a physical hazard unless swallowed. If a boy had enough enriched uranium to do ten percent of a small tactical nuke, he would be dead before he put the bomb together.

I'm sure this kid knew how to build an explosive lens to provide the pressure. I'm sure he knew how to make a neutron generator to initiate the process.

Can't happen standingfirminChrist, that's the stuff of teen-aged movies.

10,000 people huh? Maybe if you set the town on fire. But, not an explosive bomb. Twenty-thousand pounds of TNT won't do that unless the ten-thousand are in a football stadium.

Gas lines can hardly be lit. First you would have to have enough high-explosives to CUT into the line. Would take a LOT and probably shaped charges (which the ones that work are classified). High explosives will NOT set off gas. Its detonation rate is far too fast. Finally, most lines cannot be set off by much of anything due to the high-pressure and very thin line between critical mix of gas and oxygen. The high pressure snuffs out the fire. So, gasoline would be snuffed out by the high-explosive. This would take a very complex bomb even if you knew some military tricks for demolition. Besides, the chemicals for THIS are not available at Wal-Mart or Radio Shack.

Let me prove my point. What kind of bomb would you cut through a high-pressure gas line (not set it on fire, just cut it open first.)? (You have to break it to let the gas out.

Obviously, the pipe bomb at the Olympics was not very destructive although several were hit. It could have been MUCH worse. That's the reason it was obviously an amateur. Someone NOT on the terrorist radar screen. Pipe bombs don't count for much except loud bangs and a few pieces of flying lead.

Back to the atomic bomb. Where in the world would you hear this story?

By the way, I have designed smoke detectors for the military using alpha sources. I can confirm that it would NEVER, EVER be a source for a nuclear weapon.

Besides, there are still secrets--a high-school kid would never figure them out. Even the actual critical size of Uranium 235 is still classified. Americium won't go critical spitting out alpha particles. It takes a neutron emitter to go critical.

So much for THAT theory.

18. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

How many terrorists have been pulled out of a line at an airport? None? But a lot of innocent citizens have been trained to stand in line and submit to the cold finger of airport security. That is what is really happening. The government is showing you that you are not safe unless you allow them to monitor your every move, for your own safety. When the next big building blows up, or the next airplane crashes, we will win even more safety at the expense of freedom.

19. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Sorry, but there is no uranium used in smoke detectors. There is a very, very tiny alpha emitter. It isn't even a physical hazard unless swallowed. If a boy had enough enriched uranium to do ten percent of a small tactical nuke, he would be dead before he put the bomb together.

I'm sure this kid knew how to build an explosive lens to provide the pressure. I'm sure he knew how to make a neutron generator to initiate the process.

Can't happen standingfirminChrist, that's the stuff of teen-aged movies.

10,000 people huh? Maybe if you set the town on fire. But, not an explosive bomb. Twenty-thousand pounds of TNT won't do that unless the ten-thousand are in a football stadium.

Police records are public record. Do you care if I read yours (I'm actually asking permission instead of just getting it -- I do have a PI license and have those accesses.) I am certainly interested in this bomb, maybe I could get it patented for you. We need bombs that can blow up half a town with home-made stuff.

By the way, if you are talking about a gas line, chances are the gas pressure will simply knock out any flame you get started. It is terribly difficult to set a pipeline on fire on purpose. Regardless of what people say.

Obviously, the pipe bomb at the Olympics was not very destructive although several were hit. It could have been MUCH worse. That's the reason it was obviously an amateur. Someone NOT on the terrorist radar screen. Pipe bombs don't count for much except loud bangs and a few pieces of flying lead.

Back to the atomic bomb. Where in the world would you hear this story?

By the way, I have designed smoke detectors for the military using alpha sources. I can confirm that it would NEVER, EVER be a source for a nuclear weapon.

Besides, there are still secrets--a high-school kid would never figure them out. Even the actual critical size of Uranium 235 is still classified. Americium won't go critical spitting out alpha particles. It takes a neutron emitter to go critical.

So much for THAT theory.
    </font>[/QUOTE]He made a breeder reactor if I remember correctly. I'll find a link if it really matters.

20. standingfirminChrist

Philip,

The geiger counters were clicking away 3 blocks from his backyard shed where he had built the device. And yes, the reports did say there was a trace amount of uranium in smoke detectors. They banned mass sales to regular citizens because of this.

Maybe smoke detectors were changed since then, but this was back in the 80's if I remember correctly.