1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

More questions about Andersonville Theological Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by rpniman, Dec 12, 2007.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Hmmm, I think I see your point Martin. Being a medical doctor, you can save a life, but as a pastor, you can save a soul."

Hummmm so can an ignorant farmer so what? :laugh:

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

What's with the crack about an "ignorant farmer"?

FTR, this so-called "ignorant farmer", of which I is one, has to know about a few little minor things such as mechanics, plant science, soil science, animal genetics, animal health, chemicals, economics, building construction, fence construction, taxes, labor laws, and on and on I could go.

Economics? Do we decide to sell some cattle, and plant some corn, wheat, and/or soybeans, instead of harvesting hay for the cattle, given that corn is now topping $5 per bu. and beans are topping well over $10 per bushel?? Should we grow some vegetables, instead?

Plus he or she is farming land, the value of which ranges anywhere from $500 to $5K per acre, depending on the quality and location of the land. Just the land that my nephew and I farm, with me not involved to the extent I once was, due to health issues, and part time, as well, for him, would sell for $1M on the open market, which "ain't 'zackly 'chicken feed'". My Brother-in-law farms $2M+ of land in Ohio, owning only a very small number of acres. A new combine, for him, would top $100K, easily. His grain truck would hit $80-100K. He has tractors that top $150K.

A new replacement tractor, for my nephew and I, for one I am in the process of repairing, runs about $70-100 K. A new large round hay baler easily runs well above $20K. A 4X4 pickup truck for farm use, outfitted to pull a cattle trailer can easily hit $40K. And they do not get anywhere close to 30-40 MPG Hwy, either.

The day has long since passed, when if one was not qualified for anything else, he or she could still make a living at 'farming'.

Please think about this. Rest assured, I am not particularly upset in any way, but merely wanting folks to be aware of some of what is involved in farming, and bringing food to the table.

FTR, what does any of this have to do with the quality of the education one might or might not receive from Andersonville Seminary, or any other place??

"Yer gonna' get no more than you pays for!"

And, as I previously stated, you could well "pay for what you get!"

Unfortunately, you could actually still wind up receiving far less! :tear:

Ed

#22 EdSutton, Apr 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2008
  3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Actually, any school can decide whether or not to accept the work done at another institution, or whether or not to accept any degrees one has already attained. Often times, and "accredited" school can and will recognize and take an "unaccredited" degree, depending on the field. A seminary, for example, would be and is under no obligation to take or give credit to a Master's degree in a totally unrelated field. They might well 'give credit' to work done in a theological field, from an unaccredited institution, towards a degree they offer, while not giving any credit to, say, any MS in Plant Science, Political Science, Ecomomics, Computer Science, or Nursing, for a few examples, toward any Biblical or Theological degree.

That is not to denigrate the secular degree, in any way, but merely to acknowledge that the fields are not necessarily related, and do not necessarily overlap. The 'secular' degree will stand on its own merits; the theological degree will do the same.

Ed

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Welcome

BTW, for rpniman, bubba36, and prophecy2007ad - Welcome to the BB, all. :thumbs:

Ed

#24 EdSutton, Apr 2, 2008
  5. prophecy2007ad

prophecy2007ad New Member

Thanks EdSutton.

-------

My whole point with Andersonville was the forms of acceditation. I just don't see the reason for regional accreditation if the person has no plan(s) to use that degree outside of his/her church. Why pay thousands of dollars for the regional credit? Just to say you have the U.S. Gov backing your degree? Bah! Not necessary in the church people. You just don't need it. If a person's plan is to stay within a church setting, then schools like Andersonville will do very nicely.

BTW, has anyone ever heard of "Faith Evangelical Seminary?" They were known originally as "Faith Evangelical Lutheran Seminary." Good and respected school in Washington state. The BA in religion can be obtained via distant study at only $130 per credit hr ... very reasonable ... and they are accredited through TRACS. I have one of their catalogs somewhere. It's not Baptist, but Interdenom, with a Lutheran Heritage ... here's a link if anyone is interested.

http://www.faithseminary.edu/

In Christ,

prophecy

#25 prophecy2007ad, Apr 2, 2008
  6. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    " Hummmm so can an ignorant farmer so what? :laugh:"

"ignorant farmer" does not state that ALL farmers are ignorant - at least in the English use I've been able to pick up. You shouldn't take that general an interpretation of what people say.

I can't say that I've ever met an ignorant farmer, but if there is one out there that is a believer - even he can lead someone to the Lord.

Actually the best Bible teacher I've ever been under was a farmer - excuse me - rancher in Wyoming that did a fantastic job of presenting the Word.

:thumbs:

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Wazzat' Dr. Bob, by chance? :laugh:

Actually, I do personally know two in WY, one, a person named Sam Iiams, a rancher around the Riverton area, that should be a good teacher, although I have not seen or conversed with him for over 30 years. I attended Bible College with him over 30 years ago.

The second is Dr. Richard A. Seymour, one of my own college teachers, now in LaGrange and on the faculty of Frontier School of the Bible. I do know that he is an outstanding teacher, for we do stay in contact.

Ed

8. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not Dr. Bob though I've been through his area a time or two. This fellow is in a little Bible church (or was few years ago) in Wheatland a very windy spot. (Windy not related to the teacher ;-)

Frontier seems to be going to town in recent years! Have a couple of granddaughters there right now and a grandson planning.

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

In this whole discussion we are always going to have Tares among the Wheats.

Some will attempt to persuade us that Tares are indeed Wheats.

But by their fruits we will know that they are...

10. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Why pay for what's free?

According to my understanding, Andersonville uses for some of its courses tapes from regular seminary professors accompanied by rather inane busy work of whatever quality that is evaluated by the Andersonville faculty. Why pay for the Andersonville lectures, which are indeed quality material, when lectures of equal quality are available for free on the Internet. For example, check out the following link:

http://www.learnoutloud.com/Results/Publisher/Reformed-Theological-Seminary/775

Let me hear what you think.

11. Broadus

Broadus Member

That's a great site, Paid. I just don't get the attempt to justify an Andersonville degree. What grad of Andersonville teaches at a regionally-accredited college, university, or seminary in his field? I don't mean a professor of economics who earned a doctorate in religion from Andersonville.

There are so many online opportunities to listen to and watch seminary lectures. Accepting a person's argument that he is going to Andersonville because he is interested in gaining knowledge and not in getting a diploma is getting harder and harder to accept.

Blessings,
    Bill

12. prophecy2007ad

Because from Andersonville, you can earn both a degree and the knowledge of the lectures. Nice link though, thanks. I've not seen too many sites like that offering free full lectures.

13. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the greater issue? The degree or the education?

If one is interested in a degree, then pursuing an unaccredited, subpar institution is nothing more than title-seeking.

14. prophecy2007ad

The education is more important of course, but it can't hurt to get both now can it?

#34 prophecy2007ad, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2008
  15. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends. A degree that is unaccredited and is subpar is not worth it. There is a world of difference from an MA from New Orleans Seminary and an MA from Andersonville.

Do you really think that writing a 50 page thesis with a handful of sources is equivalent to the research of graduate-level theses in accredited seminary?

16. prophecy2007ad

Just because a religious degree is not regionally accredited doesn't make it useless you know. With the seperation of church and state, a religious degree doesn't have to be accredited, unless the person is looking to either go into a mainstream type church ministry, transfer credits to another accredited institution, OR get a job outside his/her church. Otherwise, schools like Andersonville is the place to go. It's a good solid christian education.

:jesus:

17. prophecy2007ad

Hmmm, let me think about that ... nope ... never wrote a 50 page thesis with a handful of sources. lol.

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Good place, I think. I do trust the judgment of Dr. Seymour, from my experiences with him, and would advise any, who have the chance, to "pick his brain" in any way possible.

Ed

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Well, the previous poster did mention "Wheatland". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

20. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Without guile?

As Christians, we are to be without guile. When we boast a doctorate, many will not question its source or the requirements for earning it. The initial impression is that degrees are from a recognized and credible seminaries, such as SBTS or DTS, and represents a level of achievement and academic rigor. Whereas Andersonville definitely does not have this level of academic requirements, we are not being totally transparent and honest if we fail to specify that the degree is from an unrecognized, unaccredited school which requires less work for its degrees. I wonder how many Andersonville graduates are willing to stipulate this along with their capital letters? If not, I would say they are claiming more than they can honestly boast. This is not being without guile. What do you think?

#40 paidagogos, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2008