1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

More questions about Andersonville Theological Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by rpniman, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Broadus

Broadus Member

Paid,

Did you leave out "not" in your sentence about Andersonville having this level of academic requirements?

Bill

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guile: insidious cunning in attaining a goal; crafty or artful deception; duplicity.

No that wouldn't be a good attribute for a believer!

Common sense might be, as in wondering where a degree is from. :thumbs:

3. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Accreditation vs. quality

The issue is not accreditation; it is about quality. Even posters who critique Andersonville find praise for the academic requirements of Whitefield and CES, both unaccredited.

Furthermore, this has nothing to do with separation of church and state. This is simply an excuse to avoid the embarrassment of not being able to meet accreditation standards. Whereas I am strongly supportive of a quality institution's right to exist unaccredited (e.g. Whitefield, Greenville Presbyterian Seminary, PCC, et. al.), I will not buy the excuses when the school's low standards are the real reason. Let them be known for what they are.

BTW, Andersonville was considering accreditation but quickly dropped the idea. Wonder why? Bethany and others have followed the same course. All of a sudden, it becomes a conviction for them to be unaccredited. Smells fishy to me. What about you? Smell something fishy?

4. prophecy2007ad

prophecy2007ad New Member

I agree, and respect what you've said. Although Andersonville doesn't measure up to most regionally accredited institutions, they still teach the word of our Lord, and I think they do if pretty well.

Many people like myself don't care about regional credit ... however, many others do, and I respect that as well.

No matter what one's calling is by our Lord, Go where he leads you; it can't be bad if you follow.

:godisgood:

5. prophecy2007ad

Sorry to bust your bottom, but NO school, not even a religious institution HAS to seek accreditation. It's all voluntary you know that, and sorry, you're wrong, the seperation between church and state MATTERS. This is what makes religion FREE. The U.S. Dept. of Ed has no say so in the means of religion or the degree(s) that pours forth from a said institution. There is nothing wrong with a religious degree which is not regionally accredited. Nothing at all. Many upon thousands have earned them and are using them in their ministries.

And no, I don't smell fish, but I smell ham for some reason. lol

#45 prophecy2007ad, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2008
  6. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Perfect man?

Bill,

Read it again. It says, "NOT." I'm the perfect man who never made a mistake. I thought that I did once but I was wrong. :laugh:

Just kidding................thanks for the head up..............I was able to edit the post before my time expired. Being able to edit one's posts is wonderful. It's rather like the congressmen who insert things ex post facto in the Congressional Record.

Best wishes,
    Paidagogos

7. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

It may be debatable how well Andersonville teaches the Word. Because of being rather indiscriminate in their operations, I suspect that they are guilty of theological fallacies. Also, I am not certain of how consistent and well-defined their doctrine may be. I have some serious questions because of information to which I am privy.

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why doesn't Andersonville realistically portray itself as what it is--a Bible institute?

People want the letters by their name without doing the work, that's why.

9. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Well, you haven't burst my bubble. I don't think that you really understood my post. Since all accreditation in the US is done by private agencies, accreditation is not a separation of church and state issue. Furthermore, Andersonville already has a stronger church-state connection than accreditation in that it operates under the laws of Georgia as a corporation (It is incorporated, I believe). Thus, your argument assumes a certain inconsistency.

Friend, I've been around the block several times and heard all this pabulum many times. The problem is that we hear an appealing saying and repeat it with thinking through the ramifications.

Furthermore, freedom of religion does not consitute license to defraud. Look at Jim Bakker and the other television evangelists who abuse the flock.

I'll not say more because it will not convince a closed mind.

10. prophecy2007ad

Ugh, U R a hard one lol, but you know what, you're probably right.

11. prophecy2007ad

I will also not say anymore on the matter, for many minds are closed. Religion is FREE friend. Go to where God leads you, accredited or not.

Bah!

#51 prophecy2007ad, Apr 4, 2008
  12. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Education is not free.

13. prophecy2007ad

Are you sure about that?

And I said religion, not education, however...

Reading the scriptures is FREE.

Is that not considered education?

Doh! lol

:jesus:

#53 prophecy2007ad, Apr 4, 2008
  14. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not a legitimate degree program, though.

15. Ehud

Ehud New Member

A Few Good Reasons For Andersonville

1. Andersonville degrees are accepted by Louisiana Baptist University
    2. They now offer language courses
    3. Most of the teachers are also pastors, which is far better to learn from a
    pastor in the ministry then a college professor who sets behind a desk.
    4. You will not have your Final authority (Bible) taken from you.
    5. You will not have to pay $250.00 per credit or $30,000 for a degree
    “Buy the truth and sell it not” 2 Peter 2:3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you...
    6. Take classes from Andersonville. Stay in your local church under your pastor and fellowship with godly church people. Go door knocking and win souls and you will know as much if not more then a PhD. Remember God’s plan to perfect us is a pastor and a local church, not a seminary or college. God never gave the job to train believers to a college or seminary.

Ehud The Doctor of Truth :thumbs:

16. prophecy2007ad

Amen, Ehud! :thumbs:

17. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) It doesn't comfort me that one unaccredited institution accepts degrees from another.

2) That's a good thing.

3) I think that this can be a good thing, as long as the pastors have the academic training necessary. At my seminary (Mid-America), all professors are active witnesses for the Lord with practical ministry experience. Many are currently serving as pastors or interim pastors. This is at a regionally accredited seminary.

4) I agree that cost is a concern. At my seminary, the cost per credit hour is around $125. Also, is Andersonville free? If not, then your verse could be applied against it as well.

5) You will not learn the same things from your local pastor that you will in a PhD program. A PhD is not necessary for service in a local church. It is designed to create a contributing scholar in an academic field. The best pastor in the world may not know a thing about Ugaritic or Akkadian, but a PhD in Old Testament should.

6 )Also, I'm not knocking the possibility of being trained in your local church. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It is a biblical method. That being said, if you are trained in your local church, why worry about having a degree? Isn't being equipped more important than the letters?

18. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course that is education. Anyone can learn any subject without attending a school. However to attend a school to earn a degree is not free. "Offical" education is not free.

19. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==The fact that one unaccredited school accepts degrees from another is meaningless. I am sure Covington accepts Andersonville degrees as well, but that does not mean schools like Dallas Theological Seminary, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary, Southern Evangelical Seminary, or Southern Baptist Theological Seminary will. None of those schools, and the list could go on and on, will honor degrees/credits from Andersonville for credit transfer, as qualifications to enter a higher degree program at their school, or for an academic position.

==That is good, but if those language courses will not be accepted by the major schools and other accredited schools they are of limited use. You can't get a MDiv at Andersonville and enter a DMin or PhD program at Luther Rice, Southern Evangelical, Southeastern, Southern, or Dallas.

==In certain subjects, yes. However in academic subjects I would prefer a person who has spent years digging into the academic issues. For Church History I want to learn from a historian, for Greek/Hebrew I want to learn from a grammarian, for New Testament I want to learn from a person who has academic experience in the field and therefore knows the issues inside and out. Former pastors are great for ministry/preaching classes. However for the academic courses I would prefer an academic professor.

==No evangelical seminary will take your Bible away from you.

==Please don't abuse the Word of God to prove your faulty position. 2Peter 2:3 has nothing to do with going to school to earn a degree. The passage has to do with false teachers who exploit people with false teachings and greed.

As for the cost of tuition, you generally get what you pay for. Schools that have the better professors, programs, and resources will generally cost a bit more.

==Of course a person can earn an accredited degree through online studies. The accredited degree, from Liberty or Moody, will enjoy universal acceptance in and out of the church.

==Actually no, you will not. You will not learn the languages by going door knocking, you will not learn the history, the theology, the textual issues by going door knocking.

Btw, many PhDs at evangelical seminaries are soul winners themselves. Many of them are active in evangelism.

==Then you are wrong in promoting Andersonville.

==Since your post is filled with errors and silly generalizations, I don't see you as being the "doctor of truth".

20. BRIANH

BRIANH Member

There is a distinction that needs to be made. There was a time I would have joined with folks in arguing for LBU and Andersonville but I have a different mindset now.
    IF the goal is to learn to be a more effect__________ insert your title, one does not need to have a doctorate or graduate degree to do so but when you claim one, people assume a certain quality. IF they goal for an unaccredited university is to train folks, have a certificate program.
    I took a class from LBU (doctoral program in Christian education, based upon two previous regionally accredited graduate degrees )and am currently in the Master of Divinity program at Liberty. No comparison. None. Nada. Forget it.
    You can learn to be an effective pastor without passing yourself as a "Doctor". Sure, I suppose there is a chance it could be as rigorous, and it appears that Whitfield and some do well but one can never know.
    As far as the cost, Liberty caps it at 2,000 a semester up to 15 hours. That means a pastor could earn one of the 36 hour degrees for under 10k including books. All you have to do is take a semester off between your 12 hours. Read the books and watch the videos and then take your 12 or 15 a semester. I speak from experience. It is doable to say the least.