Music in worship

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by JSM17, Aug 24, 2009.

1. rbell Active Member

Translation:

Dang. You got me. But I'm not gonna admit it.

Cut yer losses, JSM...you're getting decimated in this argument. Scripture doesn't back you up.

2. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Maybe he requires singing only in the Greek and Hebrew. Have you ever thought about that? Maybe he requires it standing only and not sitting, as was the custom of the Jews. Have you thought about that? What kind of songs does God require? Do all your songs "teach and admonish one another"--the purpose that Paul sets forth in Col.3:16? Or do you sing some of those simple praise songs? How many of your songs admonish one another? Be honest. What percentage of the songs that you sing admonish one another.

noutheteo--from the same as 3559; to put in mind, i.e. (by implication) to caution or reprove gently:--admonish, warn. (from Strong's)
    Perhaps that might be because you have either done no study or are KJVO. Which is it? The word "psalms" by implication means either with or without instruments. Do a study on the word. God has spoken on the subject. You simply don't want to admit it.
    It is not funny how some pretend to put themselves in the place of God and tell others the mind of God; that is what God has authorized and what He hasn't. Who gave you this supernatural knowledge?
    But God did give explicit instructions about the Lord's Table, therefore your point is wrong, a red herring, and if carried out that way--blasphemously portraying the Lord's body and blood.
    I can know what the Word of God says. I also can know the principles that the Word of God teaches.
    In your own words: "God never authorized song books." He never authorized pianos either. Yet one is right and the other wrong. You are being hypocritical.
    The only buildings that we see the early believers using were: first the Temple, and then the synagogues, and finally homes. Any thing other than that would be in your own words "not authorized." You would be hypocritical therefore to meet in a church building or to use air conditioning. You are not practicing NT Christianity. Nor are you facing NT persecution. Why not be a missionary to Turkey, Iraq, Egypt, Pakistan, etc. and face the persecution that a NT believer would face? Naw, the comfort of the U.S. is too hard to give up, isn't it?
    Apparently you don't understand that same concept.

3. Johnv New Member

We are now at 21 pages, and STILL, no scripture has been presented that fodbids use of instruments in worship.

4. JSM17 New Member

Johny Wrote:
    We are now 21 pages, and STILL, no scripture has been presented that authorizes use of mechanical instruments in worship. Why don't you give us one Johny.

Rbell Wrote:

Certainly not by you, have you shown authorization for what you advocate, hardly?

It is really simple actually and it works with all other biblical principles, if the scriptures explicitly state something (commands) there is no doubt, but if we assume something from that command such as adding mechanical instruments then we cannot be sure on its authorization.

DHK Wrote:
    So then does God require all to play an instrument, or just those who choose to?

Yes the Bible says to sing!

Song books are not offered up as worship, we have been through this already, the piano is not offered as worship either, it is what comes from it, the music is played as part of the worship to God as "Praise". Your argument is weak and you know it.

5. Johnv New Member

So, is it your position that we're NOT allowed to do something unless scripture allows it? Does you church have a sound system? Does your church require baptism as a prerequisite for membership? Does your church uses wafers and grape juice for communion? Does your church have modern lighting? None of those things are expressly permitted in scripture.

6. rbell Active Member

I always love how the CoC denomination can create such a plethora of inconsistent arguments. It's really quite entertaining.

7. Darron Steele New Member

Yeah; it is interesting.
    `This grounds we hold for banning musical instruments applies to this other thing we want. Well, we do not care: the other thing is still fine.'

`Yes, we know that is our grounds for banning musical instruments. Someone has pointed that this other thing we want deserves even more to be banned under that criteria. No matter: we will not ban the desired practice, and will maintain our ban on musical instruments.'​
    As hard as this might be to believe, there are an increasing number of Churches of Christ that have abandoned this foolishness.

More and more Church of Christ congregations have accepted that there are no valid grounds for a universal ban against musical instruments.

Some in response have implemented their use in assembly. Others are still not using them just because they are not needed.

8. JSM17 New Member

Should We Use Musical
    Instruments In Our Worship To
    God?
    Old Testament authorized Instruments in
    worship
    New Testament silent about instruments in
    worship
    Why the difference?

9. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You tell me why you think there is a difference. There isn't.
    The book of Revelation is still in the NT. Don't forget that. There are plenty of instruments there. And His Kingdom shall be forever and ever.

I have demonstrated for you plenty of times that the word "Psalm" has the meaning of "with instruments," and therefore instruments cannot be ruled out of NT worship no matter how hard you pound your pulpit and say they are. Therefore you are just wrong about this subject.

10. Johnv New Member

Seeing as how the NT is half the size of the OT, it's clear that the NT writers did not see the need to reiterate everything in the OT. Otherwise, there would be no need for an OT in the Christian Scriptures. If that's not blatantly obvious to you, I question the manner in which you interpret scripture.

11. ccrobinson Active Member

You are the one that says mechanical instruments should not be used in worship. Therefore, it is incumbent on you to prove your position.

12. sag38 Active Member

I agree ccrobinson. There's nothing to prove. There is no Biblical proabition against using a mechanical musical instrument anywhere to be found in the Bible (Old or New Testament). But, if there is, please show it.

13. Johnv New Member

Anyone who claims that scripture says nothing about praising God with mechanical musical instruments must be ignorant of Psalm 150, which says to praise the Lord with trumpet, harp, lyre, tambourine, strings, flute, and cymbals.