1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured NBA bans Sterling for life

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by thisnumbersdisconnected, Apr 29, 2014.

?
  1. Defintiely outrage ...

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Probably embarrassment ...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe a little of both to be politically correct to society ...

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. Over reaction ... and the need to not be seen in his company!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No opinion ...

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. None of the above, but here's what I think [please exlain] ....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is how you say things. And what you say that you need to watch out for. Be careful of as we live in a post-9/11 world. And a politically correct one.
    But really that sends a message to all leagues, not just baseball, in watching what you say or it could cost you like Mr Sterling.

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

I'd heard those before, too, and I went back to listen to them again, just to be sure. I don't know what you think you hear, but he doesn't have a "plantation mindset" in that section of the tape. Out of context, his comment regarding the players appears to be a non sequitur. Stiviano had led him on in the conversation, stating she "didn't understand his views [and she] ... wasn't raised the way [Sterling was]."

One want$ to a$k her after $uch a comment if $he knew of hi$ racist view$ and now claim$ $he doe$n't under$tand them, why wa$ $he hanging around? I think the an$wer is obviou$.

I'm sure at that point, Sterling was thinking the same thing, and said, "Well then, if you don't feel—don't come to my games. Don't bring black people, and don't come." Ignoring his apparent rejection of her and her lack of understanding, she brings up the fact he has a team full of black players, which is when he said:
    He's not talking about having slaves, he's talking about what he knows about his team, and he's not just talking about himself, he's talking about all 30 owners providing a good living for the players. Making those remarks into a comparison of the players to slaves is willfully stoking the fires of resentment and hatred. There's enough of that already. We don't need more.

#82 thisnumbersdisconnected, May 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014
  3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

When I'm reading comments from people on the news stories, they are saying that some of the same black players complaining of racism from Sterling have made racist jokes and comments about whites and Asians in the past but have not had repercussions and are obviously still playing.
    Is that true?
    It will change my attitude on this if they're not holding all the major people involved to the same standard. You either accept it or you don't. To accept it from one and not the other based on race would be something called...racial bias. Which would be racist. Which they obviously feel is very wrong and should have very serious consequences.

4. thisnumbersdisconnected

Yup.......

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably is true and yes, there has been a double standard, no doubt. There has been of recent happenings, players being fined for such comments, progress is being made, however slight. Keep in mind though that there is a collective bargaining contract for the players and an owners contract that these "punishment" actions take place under.

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is good to hear your perspective, though I don't agree. For me there exists a particular mindset of superiority and in Sterlings case ownership, that leads to the type remarks he made. I have seen it in others expressing similar points of view.

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

Well, that's probably because they also have chosen to see something that isn't there. :smilewinkgrin:

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

See right here is where what you're saying makes no sense. I' sure that she knows folks who aren't Black. he pointed out the Black people because those are no doubt the ones he has a problem with.

The man has a slave owners plantation mentality. Ain't nothing being stoked except for white folks always trying to justify away overt and covert prejudice against Blacks simply because the white folks think Blacks complain too much and are racist themselves.

And oddly enough, Whites don't seem to grasp that always denying what Blacks perceive to be prejudice or racism stokes the fires of resentment. It's like patronizing folks as a means of belittling them without actually saying it.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Or maybe actually being in the league and playing for him, they actually have seen and know some things that the always incredulous white folks do not?

I would trust that the players and folks associated with the league have had a better perspective on his behavior than have Obama or white folks who think there couldn't possibly be anything parallel about his past and present behavior that harkens to the slave plantation days.

10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That certainly is possible, but I don't think that's the case here. Neither does the NBA, the players or the other owners as they voted unanimously to proceed with the procedures to remove Sterling as owner. Crowds are not always right, but there are a lot of folks hearing something very similar to what I am hearing.

11. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I, FOR, one do not Know ...

.... why or how my POLL ended up being merged with TND's words, but I am insensed about this! Not only do the moderators have the ability to move threads when deemed inappropraitely placed in on a certain page topic ... NOW THEY HAVE THE MAGICAL ABILITY TO TAKE ONE'S THOUGHTS AND IDEAS AND MAKE IT PART OF THEIR OWN THREAD!

12. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Perfect timing! At least we're no longer interested in looking into why the govt decided to rustle Bundy's cattle and act like a bunch petty dictators. Gossiping about sports stars is way more fun and important! :wavey:

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

While I would not choose such inflammatory language I agree that such a comparison is totally without merit.

14. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Add something to the discussion. It's not gossip, Sterling admitted it was him on the tape, information is public knowledge. Before you jumped in with your inane comment we were having an actual exchange of ideas about what was said, what was done afterwards, if was right or wrong.

You want to talk Bundy, go start another thread - don't forget your tinfoil beanie.

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Righteous, relax, the poll feature is the least useful part of this board. You seem to be the only one to take them serious.

16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Attempt to derail thread noted.

17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

How is it "without" merit if folks are making the comparison? If someone sees a parallel between what was done on the slave plantation and what is done by an NBA owner in his organization, how is that without merit?

Is it without merit for Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh or any of the conservative talking heads to say or have folks on their shows who say that the Democrats or specific Democrats want to keep Blacks on the Democrat Plantation?

18. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

What an eye! Nothing gets passed you does it?

Did you also notice I waited till page ten in a forum that's only supposed to run three pages?

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1&postcount=1

No? Why not? To busy chasing me around the board to notice?

Nitpicker. Strange how you only worry about "the rules" when it comes to me.

#98 poncho, May 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2014
  19. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the ACT of a Gracious Man!

I accept your apology C4K, and in turn apologize for losing my cool. I was just insensed that someone [didn't know it was you] took several threads and merged them! Let me just say that if you had posted this immediately, I may have been more understanding!

I still would have felt violated and that censorship was done and done wrongly, but I would have not been so upset over my rights to post being uprooted!

God bless you and thanks for a humble heart! That is a gift many do not extend on the board!

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you didnt notice there is a difference between those living in the slums whose only income is welfare AND the NBA stars who bring in millions of dollars a year. To begin with, a millionare can change jobs any time he desires....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.