1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured NBA bans Sterling for life

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by thisnumbersdisconnected, Apr 29, 2014.

?
  1. Defintiely outrage ...

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Probably embarrassment ...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe a little of both to be politically correct to society ...

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. Over reaction ... and the need to not be seen in his company!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No opinion ...

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. None of the above, but here's what I think [please exlain] ....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Sorry, trying to merge some of these threads and closed by mistake.

I got them merged, but there may be some minor confusion, but not as confusing as all those threads.

The one major problem is that RD2's poll got attached to TND's original post. Apologies to both my brethren for that.

#41 NaasPreacher (C4K), Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
  2. thisnumbersdisconnected

I did. Found this. Silver's on thin ice, and the temperature is about 45 degrees.
    Neither am I. He has exceeded his authority. He believes Sterling is in such a bad light right now he can be bullied out of the NBA. He may be right, and Sterling may be perfectly happy to make a 50-fold return on his investment from 33 years ago and quietly disappear from the league. But Silver doesn't have any authority under NBA bylaws and the league constitution to force him out. He can reprimand him, fine him, and perhaps even ban him from direct participation in team operations and league activities. But even that is questionable.

This still doesn't address that all this brouhaha, the media feeding frenzy, and the NBA gross overreaction is based on an illegally obtained conversation in which, as Ann pointed out, the gold digging tramp who seduced the old idiot also egged on his reaction and then released it to the public. Under California law, she illegally recorded the conversation, because she didn't inform him and get his consent to record it. That tenet of law has been established repeatedly in the California courts and upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court. The courts will have to decide, if Sterling wants to challenge the NBA, if the league can act on illegally obtained information that, had the woman acted properly, would never have been known publicly.

Personally, I think Sterling's a pig. What concerns me is that no one these days has any concern or concept of legal and proper. Everything is being done by the PC police, or by "my phone and my pen." It's a bad trend.

#42 thisnumbersdisconnected, Apr 30, 2014
  3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it's more a case of there was no one that could do anything about his past miscues. But here comes the NBA and here's Sterling with a contract with the NBA and the NBA can enforce and punish him. It's really as simple as that.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Silver's got the owners votes lined. Sterling will be a pariah in the NBA. No owner will cozy up to him. No owner will do a trade with him. He's toast. He'd be a fool to challenge Silver's authority in court. He'd be a fool to challenge the release of the audio tape.

You are splitting hairs on a potential legal ruling involving a private corporation in an industry you have scant knowledge of based on an internet article.

[Side note: Sterling.....Silver....odd, that.]

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

I wouldn't bet the farm on that just yet.
    I'm sure all that's true, but does that justify acting on illegally obtained information on what is essentially a privately held opinion that, without illegal activity, would still be private?
    Hardly. This is solidly established California law. It is inviolable, having repeatedly been upheld in numerous court cases in the state and reaffirmed in nearly half of them before SCOTUS. I'm somewhat disappointed that you would disparage something so basic as free speech. That's why the "all consent" law exists, to protect free speech rights.

And maybe you ought to read the Forbes article in it's entirety. That writer does know the facts, and is equally doubtful of the NBA's ability to have a legal leg to stand on.

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Good point. A lot of us probably have jobs where what we do in our off time can mean we get fired, because we're expected to maintain standards of character. So while it may not be considered illegal, no affairs, no idiocy, no being someone that doesn't accurately represent the title you hold, whether you're physically standing there or not. If you can't do that, don't have that position as part of your life. Expect to lose it, either by being fired or pressure to leave. A moment of mild stupidity is one thing, but if it's a repeated problem...and sometimes if you're in a major position, even one indiscretion can have major impact. If you lied or misrepresented yourself, you'll be lucky if you don't owe back the people you lied to/misled, or worse. (unless you're in politics, huh?)

Though, since I think he did have an expectation of privacy in this exact conversation, I'd like to see that aspect of things dealt with. Not for his sake, but because it appears she had no heroic intentions. If she did, I'd have no problems saying "blur the lines on the law, this was an exceptional circumstance and she had no other way to obtain the sorely needed information," but that appears to not be the case. Selfish motivation vs heroic intention - big difference.

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

We've already got hate speech legislation. It's a very stupid legislation nonetheless. So what is the stage being set for?

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly what is this existing hate speech legislation that you are referring to?

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

RD2, I think you are absolutely correct. The things that I have read seem to indicate that the NBA establishment (including players, coaches, owners and right up to the former commish) were well aware of this man's prejudices. No one ever seemed to want to address them because most of them weren't directly related to his business in/with the NBA.

The current comments were. David Stern,the previous commissioner, probably didn't address a lot of the stuff because it wasn't directly related to his NBA operations.

You know how folks will just tolerate people and things simply because they run in the same circles. They will be cordial but they don't really consider themselves friends? That's what seems to be the case with a lot of folks and Sterling. They tolerated him but they kept him at arms length just in case.

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

The existing Hate Crime Laws tend to cover hate speech. A large number of states, municipalities, etc, have statutes that allow you to punish someone more severely based upon what they have said if it is perceived as hate speech. It's how judges have gotten around SCOTUS rulings. They won't come right out most of the time and say that race, gender, sexual orientation were a factor in the excessive punishment rulings, but it's obvious that people's thoughts or how they felt about someone has also been judged.

#50 Zaac, Apr 30, 2014
  11. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first call for him to sell the team I saw was from Magic Johnson. He seemed really ticked off at the time. Then came the information that the taped conversation was around a pic of the girl friend with Magic. Then couple days later Yahoo news mentioned that Magic now wanted to buy the clippers. Wow. I hate it when things line up like that. Just now wondering who set up and made the tape magically appear public. Just sayin.

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

Yeah, I thought of that this morning, too. Gee, wonder what the agenda here really is? <-- rhetorical question.

13. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A hospital is giving the Sterling trust 3 million dollar grant back due to his terrible racism. Wonder if the righteous shirt turning Clipper players will reject further pay checks till he is removed from ownership.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zaac said "This BUSINESS has determined that Donald Sterling is bad for the company, and is forcing him out. "

and that is absoutley true - if the NBA did not dish out the "death penalty" the NAACP and other such groups would start prtesting and boycotting NBA games.

Will the owners vote Sterling out? Depends - will it be a secret vote - or will individual votes be made public?

Now, what will the NBA do in the event of a serious situation?

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Salty, they almost have to at this point. Anything less than him selling the team at this point or it being taken from him and sold is going to trigger boycotts of the NBA brand. They are in the middle of the playoffs. The last thing they want is for NBA sponsors and audiences to fall off because of one guy's statements, no matter how they were obtained.

No one will want to be associated with him. His star players will ask to be released and it will be granted. If players from other teams decide that they aren't playing against his team until he sells, then he runs the risk of a reasonably profitable team being run back into the ground.

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and all you listed is OVER-REACTION!!! You would think that this guy assulted his wife or something - but that is okay.

Granted, what he said was DUMB- but total banishment - simply uncalled for.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It may seem like an overreaction to non-Blacks, but his tone harkens back to days that White America likes to say to Blacks is long past so they should stop complaining.

Him running that team is the equivalent of a slave master running a plantation. And that seems to be reinforced by new revelations that seem to keep coming forward.

Sounds like the same mentality the plantation slave owners had. Fill the plantation with big, strong, athletic Black men to do the work. I'm not saying it's the case, but it's an amazing coincidence that folks attached that to his not wanting a white player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.