New Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by ccrobinson, Mar 21, 2006.

1. ccrobinson Active Member

I think I heard it, but couldn't tell what the song was.

2. Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The Sontaran Strategy was the best so far this season, IMO. Nice little homage to Invasion of the Body Snatchers

3. ccrobinson Active Member

I put it at 3rd best behind Planet of the Ood and Fires of Pompeii, in that order. I'm going to save any comments about it for a few weeks when The Sontaran Stratagem is on here in the U.S.

I was going to make a comment or 2 about Partners in Crime, which was on last Friday, then I saw this in Pete's comments and got sidetracked.

Pete, I'm not sure who you're referring to here, but I'm taking a wild guess that it's Susan. I don't think this will have anything to do with her. As I understand, the guest star is Peter Davison's daughter, so the Doctor's Daughter in the episode is actually the Doctor's Daughter in real life.

4. Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There's speculation here that she's the Doctor's adopted daughter.

5. Pete New Member

Wasn't looking forward to Planet of the Ood...and I'm wrong yet again :)

In the trivia section: Was that Thunderbird 3 flying over-head near the start? Good to see Simpsons references survive in the culture (or lack thereof) for a few thousand years too :D

The scene with the PR lady running with the Doctor & Donna only to turn them back in 3 seconds later seemed like a tacked on device, but oh well, the rest of the episode easily made up for that.

For me the part that put the episode into 5/5 territory was the section with "DoctorDonna" in the cage with unprocessed Ood and the follow-up in office - fully re-working the Ood's image in that five minutes with Donna's "Of course they didn't resist, they are born with........." line as summary.

Speaking of Donna, if they keep doing things like this and the Pompeii plunger with her I'll have to eat more words and give her a top 5 companion spot. It still has me beat why they didn't give Martha much meat like that.

At the moment I've got Sontaran Stratagem rated at 3¾-4/5, will see how it ends before that's final though.

Susan's mum anyway. Probably something completely different and they just throwing it in to mess with some heads. Although there was the "I was a father once" line thrown into Fear Her and RTD has been known to throw a recurring theme or two in the series ;) Will be looking for that episode in a few weeks.

6. ccrobinson Active Member

Yeah, that was hilarious. :laugh:

Yes, a brilliant scene. Catherine Tate showing off her acting chops, so to speak.

She already occupies the 5th spot in my list. I think this is not only the writers giving her good stuff, but also Catherine Tate's skills as an actress.

In regards to the Sontarans, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

7. learner New Member

I think I accidentally saw some spoilers as I skimmed the thread, so I'll post without reading. :D

I have rarely seen a funnier, more entertaining, and more thoughtful show (a lot of the episodes have metaphysical themes, almost spiritual, if that makes sense).

LOVE the last 2 doctors. Re: companions--Rose was amazing, but I did like Martha by way of contrast.

8. Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Which episode are you talking about, Learner?

9. learner New Member

oh, sorry--I was thinking of the most recent one we saw about the Ood, but many of the episodes deal with might-have-beens and a cosmic structure/plan to "time" and history.

In the Pompeii (sp?) episode, the Doctor tells Sarah that some things can't be changed--they are fixed points in time. Makes me think about free will vs. determinism, etc.

10. ccrobinson Active Member

Perhaps ironically, we haven't done as much discussing of episodes this season as we have in the past. There are a couple of things that we don't know, such as why "she" will return and what's on Donna's back. Notice that I don't wonder who "she" is at all, because we all know who "she" is.

11. Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Learner, I think you'll find that's Donna, not Sarah; with the exception of School Reunion, Sarah hasn't featured in the stories for over 30 years.

CC, I don't know who 'she' is - perhaps you'd like to enlighten me

12. ccrobinson Active Member

Has to be Rose, doesn't it? I suppose it could be somebody else, but my guess is it's Rose.

13. Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Possibly. More likely I guess than my theory of the Rachnos Queen.

14. ccrobinson Active Member

That one is certainly possible. That one could also be a part of the "something is on your back" statement.

15. Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Breaking news here is that Stephen Moffat (The Empty Child, Blink etc) is to take over as producer from RTD when he leaves - that should certainly assure the continuation of the series.

16. Pete New Member

17. ccrobinson Active Member

This is fantastic news.

18. ccrobinson Active Member

I just saw Silence in the Library. Wow. Just... wow. Steven Moffat, the man who wrote The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, The Girl in the Fireplace and Blink, has brought another brilliant story. Planet of the Ood has been knocked down to 2nd favorite story of the season and I expect will come in at 3rd after next week.

Can't say anything more but "count the shadows".

19. Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"Hey, who turned the lights out?":eek:

20. Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Overall - v good. Continued the post-modern theme set last week but with not very many original ideas from that genre (are there many left one can do?): homages/rip-offs (depending on how one looks at things) to/from The Matrix (obviously) and the episode in Buffy when she's under the psychiatrist (can't remember the episode name). But the bit's that were (AFAIK) original were flashes of brilliance: Donna and her family, with her children not being real and the harrowing nature of their demise but her husband being real and then losing her, the Girl-In-The-Computer (as opposed to the Mirror) being Lux's aunty and hence another 'real person', and the relationship between the Doctor and River Song.