1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No man perishes for want of an atonement

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Then don't bring it up. :)

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    These unbelievers went to hell.....they did not enter His rest

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

For Gentiles, too?

4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

same as always have, as did Hodge and calvin...

that God indeed had in death of Christ paid the Sin penalty for ALL PEOPLE entire Human race, but that it is ONLY effectual towards those whom God decided to Elect and chose to Eternal life in Christ!

5. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

I posted Scripture to support my view(& there’s lots more):

Can you show “any” Scripture, to support your’s?

6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know why you would think that any of us Reformed folk would take issue with this statement. Do you suppose that we imagine some poor fellow repenting and believing in Christ only to have St. Peter tell him, "I'm sorry! You can't come into heaven. Christ's blood doesn't quite stretch far enough to save you!" Absolutely not! Every single person who turns from his sin and trusts in the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation will be saved.

But the reason he will be saved is that God the Father set His love upon him from all eternity, sent the Son to be the propitiation of his sins, and sent the Spirit to convict him of sin and draw him to Christ.

I know I've posted this before, but some people just don't seem to get it.

'All that the Father gives Me will come to Me......' There is your Particular Redemption. The Father has given a people to the Son, and they will be saved, by grace through faith. '....And the one who comes to Me I will by no means turn away.' There is the promise; everyone without exception who comes sincerely to Christ in repentance and faith will not be turned away. 'Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.' If we would have a proper theology, we must hold both parts of John 6:37. That is exactly what Hodge in doing in the quotation you gave.

Steve

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    YES INDEED! The man who wants salvation already HAS it. The man who hungers and thirsts (desires it) after righteousness is a blessed character (Matt. 5: 2-6). :love2:

8. JesusFan

think that our faith in jesus and salvation is the confirming proof that we WERE the Elect of God!

Heard Gospel placed faith in jesus received salvation and born again proves that our election from/of God is sure!

9. Skandelon

Those of you who affirm that God did provide atonement for even the non-elect shouldn't have a problem with it, but clearly some "reformed" posters here don't hold to that view and yet they ridicule those of us who argue this point while many scholars from their own "camp" have historically supported it. If nothing else, reading this from a respected scholar might help them to see this is a viable point of contention and worthy of reexamination on their part.

No, that would be silly. That was not the point I was making.

But this post wasn't concerning the matter of unconditional election or irresistible calling. It was specifically about the issue regarding limited atonement and whether or not the elect were provided atonement.

10. JesusFan

Do you have in mind someone like DR RC Sproul who holds that 5 point Calviinism is "consistent" with the scriptures?

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JF ....I think he is trying to differentiate between Supralapsarianism & Infralapsarianism which are both subsystems in the Calvinistic umbrella. BTW are you familiar with these subsets?

12. JesusFan

general terminology here...

Does 1 side hold that God directly determined/caused/decreed the fall of satan/Adam/Sin death etc

other that God allowed them and decreed what he would do as a result of them happening?

13. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yep.. if they chose to come under the Jewish religious system. They were not left out but welcome :)
    God was working through the Jewish system He set up to reach the 'world' not JUST the Jews. But since God was working through the Jewish religious system He set up they had to willing come under that system of belief and submit to it's teachings.

#33 Allan, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2011
  14. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly do notaffirm that God has provided atonement for the non-elect, and nor did Hodge. If you think that, then you are reading him absolutely wrong. No one for whom Christ shed His blood will fail to appear in heaven.

Read my post again, and read Hodge. No man perishes for want of an atonement because atonement is made for all who will come to Christ (John 6:37; 44).

Steve

Steve

15. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes.....I will use the scriptures you used from hebrews.....
    When they say they did not enter into His rest...that is saivation rest....

we know that because of this;
    There is a sin unto death..for disobedient christians....but the mixed multitude perish.

#35 Iconoclast, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
  16. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

:thumbsup:

Some of us have made attempt to point out, that yet again, skan thinking he found an "aha!" on Calvinists has actually not understood what he has posted, nor does he understand that there are none saved who are not elect.

Are any of the saved non-elect? Not one, all of them are elect.

17. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Yes Allan, you are so correct. A huge point and purpose of Israel's election and function in the world was for the nation to be missional.

18. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Thanks for the Scripture Iconoclast.

And before I address it, lets settle this question about what “God’s rest” really is.
    At the end of the passage in Hebrews that talks about God’s rest, it concludes with this instruction........
    Hebrews 4:11
    “Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.”

This is an instruction to Christians, to totally commit their lives to Christ, so that they can enter in to this rest.
    If indeed God’s rest were salvation; The Bible would not be telling us to labor, to gain it.

There is something that Christians are to labor for; And that is, a closer walk with the Lord.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Now I can see your point, in the way that Psalms 78:, talks about that first generation of God’s people. And I fully agree; they were not worthy of God’s mercy.

And when you talk about the “mixed multitude”, what you are saying is that mixed in with “God’s people", were some unsaved folks. (I can also agree with that.)
    -------------------
    But what I believe the Bible teaches, is that “when your saved”, it does not matter about your sin or your unbelief; You are still saved.

Here is what another passage is Psalms has to say but this.........
    Psalms 89:28-37
    V.28 My mercy will I keep for him for evermore, and my covenant shall stand fast with him.
    V.29 His seed also will I make [to endure] for ever, and his throne as the days of heaven.
    V.30 If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments;
    V.31 If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments;
    V.32 Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes.
    V.33 Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail.
    V.34 My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.
    V.35 Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto David.
    V.36 His seed shall endure for ever, and his throne as the sun before me.
    V.37 It shall be established for ever as the moon, and [as] a faithful witness in heaven. Selah.

--------------------------------------------------
    The first generation Children of Israel: The ones who actually participated in the original Passover, were God’s people.

And even though when they got out in the wilderness, they were rebellious and God had to allow them to die before crossing over into the promise land; They were still God’s people.

19. Skandelon

Do you affirm Hodges statement, "He did all that was necessary, so far as a satisfaction to justice is concerned, all that is required for the salvation of all men."

Or do you take "all men" to mean "all elect men?"

BTW, I'm not arguing that Hodge holds to an Arminian view of the atonement. He is clearly a Calvinist. I'm simply pointing out the distinction he clearly draws regarding God's doing "all that was necessary, so far as a satisfaction to justice" for even those who end up not believing, so that their perishing is not from a "lack of atonement," but for unbelief. And his clear teaching regarding Christ's work of substitution: "... all mankind were placed under the same constitution or covenant. What was demanded for the salvation of one was demanded for the salvation of all. Every man is required to satisfy the demands of the law...If those demands are satisfied by a representative or substitute, his work is equally available for all." For this view I have been ridiculed and demeaned by several Calvinists repeatedly on this board.

#39 Skandelon, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
  20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a chart that might give you a better picture the way its laid out. Note the Presbyterians are much more fine tuned to this then are Baptists in most cases.

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/articles/sup_infr.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.