1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Obama does not want Americans to choose to stay home and take care of their children

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep - because we have a lot of "down" to go before we get to that point. We DO have a very nice sailboat that costs us approximately the cost of a vacation for our family of 6 each year. If need be, we could sell that (although my hubby would be heartbroken) and live off that for a while (boat is paid off). We have a house in a very nice neighborhood that we could sell and downscale and that has been on the table a few times already in our 23 years here. Finally, as I said, I can put my daughter in school and get a full time job. Oh and there is also the option of hubby leaving the ministry and going back into computer consulting making an easy 6 figure salary. But right now we are plugging along, shopping sales, asking for hand me downs for the kids and just doing what we can to save money and bring a few extra dollars in to help.

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When he says "It is not a choice we want Americans to make" he is talking about putting people in a "no win" scenario and having child care costs offset their income. Childcare is insanely expensive. Putting my two kids in daycare would almost swallow my wife's entire monthly paycheck, and she is an RN. Single mothers would barely stand a chance. So what are they supposed to do Rev?

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like he is always reminding me...UoT seems obsessed with criticizing members and taking our more conservatives folks to the mat like a wrestler on the JV Team. :smilewinkgrin:

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is why he wants free prek for the kids - so mom doesn't have to stay home very long. You know - it's horrible that mom has to stay home with the kids instead of building her career. We don't want her to make the choice to do so, so we instead will take her dear peanuts and take care of them while she builds a life outside the home! It's WAY better.

*sarcastic suit off*

5. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He never even came close to saying that and your hypersensitive interpretation here really lacks perspective. Again, sticking up for those parents WHO DO NOT HAVE THE OPTIONS THAT YOU ENJOY is in no way a slam to stay at home mothers. I mean you are talking about a sailboat and a house in a good neighborhood for crying out loud. Get real. There are people that would be rolling their eyes so far back in their head at that statement that they would be seeing grey matter.

#45 Use of Time, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2014
  6. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shouldn't you be making your 100th ebola thread?

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe he could start one about why he thinks he is a conservative. I wouldn't mind a good laugh.

8. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Care to refute what I said? Of course not. That would involve using your own brain to come up with a response instead of copying and pasting extreme right drivel. Expecting you to come up with an original thoughton your own is asking to much. We should just take Annsni's experience as the standard for everyone because they could just sell their sailboat to make it happen. This situation of course can be applied universally to everyone everywhere right?

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, that's pretty much what he said and what he is communicating to the world.

Yes, we personally have options and right now, those options include not food shopping for the week because we are not getting paid and being so grateful because my son has a winter coat thanks to the generosity of a dear friend who bought him one. Yes, we have a sailboat (paid for with the proceeds of selling a business years ago) and that is pretty much our savings account and our pleasure (and I'll bet my bottom dollar that it costs less per year than most people spend on one vacation for their family - and we are being blessed by family who gives us a Christmas gift each year of the equivalent a year's costs so it is not actually figured into our budget). But it's going to be the first thing to go if we need to. Right now we are not getting paid - and we are making about half of the median income in our area when we DO get paid - but we're frugal and we're making ends meet.

Should I be in the position where I couldn't make ends meet and I had little ones, I would still have choices including working third shift so my husband can watch the kids or bringing in other people's children for me to watch (which actually brings in a decent penny). Realize that preK doesn't start until at least 3 years old which means that the President is still leaving families with littles in the lurch if he feels that this is an issue. So why don't we just make free childcare for everyone? That would solve the problem completely. Or would it? Is our goal to keep women in the workforce (personally, a career is not a priority for me)? Or is it to help families to be able to make choices that would benefit their children and family?

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only answers Obama had is government answers.And those who support and rely on thos government answers do not have an original thought in their head.

By the way the old adage "When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, the one that yelps is the one that got hit." holds true.

The tax payers are not this country's babysitters.

11. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's great and making preschool more affordable is somehow this giant slap in the face to you? Nobody ever said anything about making preschool free. That is a dramatization. I have two children (three and seven) and our sacrifice is my wife moving to night shift to offset childcare because it is insanely expensive. Us moving to a single income situation is not sustainable. You seem to keep looking at this situation as if it only applies to you. There are people like single mothers that would have their entire paycheck go towards childcare. So what are they supposed to do? Oh, and they don't have a sailboat and a house in a nice neighborhood to sell either.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what is your solution to single mothers Rev? You know, the ones who actually aren't being lazy and working hard for their kids. Quit your job and go on welfare? More of that Christian compassion at work. Every man for himself right Pastor?

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can always tell a liberal, their answer is always the government and when you disagree with that answer then you do not care about people. The liberal lie at its finest.

15. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You really are a piece of work. Don't you have a sunday night service to get ready for. Oh that's right, politics takes priority over everything else, I forgot.

16. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, yeah I get it. You'll just keep saying the word liberal as an excuse to dodge the question that you don't have the ability to answer. Your sad excuse for a thread already fell flat on it's face when you tried to distort the words to suit your agenda. You've already said you would stop responding but you can't help yourself so here you are again regurgitating the same old liberal insults while avoiding serious conversation. Cowardice and hypocrisy in full effect as usual from the great uniting Pastor who goes out of his way to place God first and bring people together. As long as they are Republican. You are a disgrace.

17. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've learned to let him have the last word. He'll keep posting until he gets it. Just quit the thread.

[​IMG]

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

They would do the same as we did. Bust your rear and get creative. We didn't always have these items you mention. So you take in other people's kids so you are watching your own AND a few others. You bring in a roommate or tenant. You find work at home jobs. Heck, I'm even doing online stuff like Bing Rewards and Swagbucks in order to be able to afford niceties like a dinner our or to pay for my daughter's train rides into the city for school. You do what you have to do. Remember, this is not free childcare but instead preK. There is still the child's first 3 years you would need to cover. So what do we do?

What do we do? Oh yeah - as a church we step in to help the "widows and orphans". ;)

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We help support CareNet - a ministry to help and support single mothers. And best of all, many girls have been led to the Lord!

20. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a naive and drastic oversimplification and another assumption that people have those options. It just isn't that easy or feasible. You seem to have a myopic point of view on this topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.