1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ohio Republicans want voters to pay to get special ID cards

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Zaac, May 14, 2015.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    About 15 million American households do not file a tax return due to low taxable income.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Won't happen and not required. No other states voter id law includes transportation and scotus has upheld them as constitutional.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realize I was being facetious.

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    YOU get them for whoever YOU think is being disenfranchised. I VERY specifically listed reasons why I do not believe anyone is at risk of being "disenfranchised" and why requiring someone to have an ID is by no stretch "burdensome".

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This type of deception is unChristian. NO ONE is being charged to vote. I do not support the idea of state provided "no charge" ID's but most states would likely offer them.

YOU and people like YOU who think that some people are just so poor that paying $8 or so for an ID every 8 years or so... can pool your money and provide them.

BTW, is leaving the country a "right"? If so, why does the US gov't REQUIRE ME to have a passport that costs far more than $8?

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry but no.

There is literally an endless list of "rights" that cost you something to exercise them. But more importantly, there is no such thing as a "free" ID. Someone must be taxed to pay for it. It is WHOLLY illegitimate.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell that to my 94 year old mom who had her identity stolen recently.

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Under the Ohio scheme a voter would need a voter ID. The cost is $8. That is most definitely being charged to vote.

Leaving the country is not a right. Voting, however, is a constitutional right.

9. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If there are so many of them, why don't you start with the Bill of Rights and list the ones that we have to pay for to exercise them.

Freedom of speech and/or religion. Need to pay for that right?

Due process, no double jeopardy, no self-incrimination. Need to pay for that?

Protection against excessive bail. Need to pay for that right?

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Thank you. It takes some work to get that ID or license replaced in Georgia. In Georgia, you've either got to have a copy of your birth certificate or you have to order one from Vital Records. If you're not born in Georgia, that could take weeks. And it has to be done in person and there aren't just vital records offices all over the place. Then you have to pay for that too.

Then you have to have your social security card. That's another drive and another long wait just to get a lil piece of paper that you also have to pay for if you don't have.

I personally hadn't seen my SS card since I was a kid. Hadn't needed it for anything. Lo and behold, my wallet gets stolen and the world's biggest headache.

They could have kept everything in the wallet and just left me my license because I knew just how much of a headache it was gonna be to replace them.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are not charged at the voting booth door then you are not being charged for voting. Silliness.

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

That's so cute. The Jim Crow mavens have found a "legal" way to disenfranchise. Problem being the disparate impact your "legal" way of disenfranchising presents which ultimately makes it illegal.

Sticking five miles between who is being paid and the voting booth doesn't make it any less of a pay to vote scheme.

DENIED.

Make it free for everyone or just be quiet.

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, and similarly you're not being charged to drive a vehicle when you buy a driver's license. :BangHead:

14. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which has absolutely NOTHING to do with this discussion.

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said:

This thread is about the proposal that Ohio voters need photo ID cards to vote. You state it's not burdensome for someone to have an ID to vote.

If I say it would be BURDENSOME for my MOM to get a PHOTO ID, that SURELY is RELEVANT.

16. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. It isn't. It is an indirect cost but again there are endless examples of indirect costs to exercising rights. All the "Ohio scheme" says is that you must present an ID. It does not tell you who must pay for it. They are NOT charging people to get a ballot... they are only requiring people to prove they have a legitimate right to cast a ballot.

Yes. Leaving the country most certainly IS a right. However it is not a RIGHT to have someone else bear the expense required for you to exercise a right.

17. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You did not prove that it was "burdensome". To do that, you would have to show that it was some extraordinary effort above what is commonly experienced.

Your grandmother has to have an ID to get social security, medical services, a checking account, etc. How many things can you now do WITHOUT an ID? Are all those things likewise "too burdensome"? Is she foregoing her SS expressly because she finds it too "burdensome" and risky to have a SS card?

18. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We moved from ATL to Missouri in 2001. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (by no stretch a conservative paper) reported that at least 4000 dead people had ballots cast in their name in 2000 in the city of ATL alone. We see less than the tip of the iceberg when it comes to voter fraud in our EXTREMELY loose system.

19. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a right to own property. The gov't requires me to have insurance that costs FAR more than $8 to exercise that right.... and I must prove to the state that I have it. Would you feel better if a private company issued state accepted ID's?

Along with that, I had to produce a SS card and another form of ID to purchase the property because the gov't requires it.

OH, and though I believe property taxes to be a violation of our right to property, everyone either directly or indirectly is CHARGED to own property. This is NOT an indirect expense but a direct CHARGE in order to exercise the right of property ownership.

I have a RIGHT to assembly and speech yet gov't can charge a fee for assembling to give a speech in a park or for organizing and conducting a parade... remember my tax $$$ already pays for those streets and parks.

I have a right to keep and bear a firearm... but the state can charge fees for carry permits and registration.

I have a right to assemble for religious worship. But the state can and does require levels of insurance and that buildings meet applicable codes (which costs money).

Marriage is being presented as a "right" by some today... marriage licenses cost more than these proposed ID's.

I have a right to own an auto and to go from here to there... but the courts have held that it is NOT burdensome for the police to establish ID check points... which among other things require me to produce a state issued ID which isn't free.

I have a right to operate a business on my private property... how many costly gov't requirements need to be listed for that?

Yes. There are indirect costs to either the person or someone else almost every time a right is exercised.

Your attempt to "invalidate" the legitimate by generalizing is duly noted... Not reasonable but the attempt is noted.

But yes, there are indirect costs to exercise those rights. For instance, is there a cost to getting minimal bail? How do you protect yourself from double jeopardy and could/will it cost you anything?

Whose rights were better protected OJ's or Ron Williamson's?... and why?

#79 Scott J, May 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After her identity was stolen my mom DID NOT NEED to replace her social security card to continue to receive social security benefits. She DID NOT NEED to replace her driver's license to get a new checking account. She DID NOT NEED to get a new health insurance card to continue to get health care.

But, under Ohio's voting scheme, she would need to replace her driver's license or else get their special voter ID card. That would require two people to get her into a vehicle, a wheelchair once she got to the DMV, waiting in line at the DMV for who knows how long, then two people to get her back into a vehicle, and two to unload her back at her house. All of this would depend on whether or not she felt she had enough energy to actually go to the DMV on any given day. So, yes, it would be burdensome for her to get a photo ID.

Contrast that with requesting an absentee ballot, filling it out and mailing it in. Which is more burdensome?

#80 InTheLight, May 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015