1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Oil Spill in Perspective

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Dr. Bob, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    64 days. Hearing terms like "millions of gallons" or "50k barrels a day", etc. The oil IS a true man-made disaster and my prayers are for those impacted, but I noted that AP in news releases finally tried to put the amount in perspective I can grasp.

We can all picture the Super Dome in New Orleans (remember Katrina). ALL of the oil spilled thus far would not fill the Dome. In the total ocean volume of even just the Gulf (to say nothing of the real ocean depths of 70% of the rest of the globe) that is truly a "drop in the bucket".

Another illustration of the amount is to compare the total oil spilled to the flow of fresh water that the Mississippi River drops into the Gulf. The total oil spill equals the same volume of just 38 seconds of water from the river.

Again, this just puts a MAJOR man-made catastrophe into a perspective we can visualize and not be sucked into the rhetoric of "nationalizing" oil companies (a long dream of democrats) or banning oil production/drilling.

Still bad. Still need our prayers. Still need BP to pay for horrible loss. But in the global perspective, it will be a footnote in history.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Bob, I understand what you are saying. I really do. This will be a footnote in history. In 5 years, people won't even remember it.

But for those who live down here, it isn't a footnote right now. And the damage caused to lands, animals, waters, and people's lives will never be a footnote.

And Congress' answer is to sit Mr. Hayward in a chair and take turns hurling verbal abuses at him. They think that's real cute and they think that makes them look like John Wayne.

And the President's answer is to claim he is kicking people's rear ends and to inanely tell us all that he is going to have it all cleaned up by the middle of July. He thinks that makes him look like he's on top of things.

Bob, I really don't care what the democrats dreams are of nationalizing oil companies. I don't care what the republicans dreams are.

I don't care what percentage of the waters are consumed with the oil.

I don't care if history remembers it or not.

I just want someone to come down here and clean up this mess.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm with you there, Scarlett.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent point!! :thumbs:

Well said.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

However, that equivalent of 38 seconds from the Mississippi River has thousands out of work, is killing unknown numbers of wildlife and sealife, and has affected the economy of the area in a way that may take years to recover from. I'd say that's a bigger impact that 38 seconds.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent point! Well said, annsni. :thumbs:

7. billwald

billwald New Member

The oil seals the natural transfer of gasses at the air/water interface. A tenth of an inch coverage probably does almost as much damage as ten inches.