OK for a woman to baptize?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by rbell, Jul 3, 2007.

1. charles_creech78 New Member

Brother Bob] I love singing them old time songs

2. EdSutton New Member

"Soitenly!"
    That is it! The one and only time one can find the noun "pastor" in the entire Bible is in verse 11.

And did you notice that 'gift' or 'give' is found four times in the context?

And did you also notice that 'office' is found exactly zero times in the same context?

Ed

3. charles_creech78 New Member

I am a old regular baptist to. I go to the New Home Church Of jesus Christ in North Carolina. I do not now if we fellowship or not.You can alway tell a Old Regular Baptist because they say they LOVE that old time way.

4. Brother Bob New Member

poimhn
    poimen
    poy-mane'
    of uncertain affinity; a shepherd (literally or figuratively):--shepherd, pastor.

It doesn't give us much on the qualifications does it?

5. Brother Bob New Member

Me too, I sing on my Web Site, but it is personal songs that I sing when I come to preach. I am of the Sardis Association, in fellowship with the New Salem Association. Who are you with?

Seems like we have a church in NC, but not sure.

New Salem has a New Home but its in IND.

6. EdSutton New Member

I have not said nor do I now say anything about pride. Nor did "the Elder", when speaking of Diotrophes, but he did speak of him 'loving to have the "pre-einence" (or be the 'top-dog') in that church'.

And I never mentioned anything about large churches, either. I was speaking about churches of 100 or so, as per your post. Are you realistically saying that in none of these churches you know of, there is not even one other "lay" person who can fit the qualifications for elder in I Tim. 3 and Titus 1?? That still to me seems unthinkable!

Ed

7. Brother Bob New Member

I have not idea what you are saying whatsoever. Now, I explained about me wanting to be top dog, I do not. It was put upon my shoulders years ago, because of respect for me and my ability to do the job. So far, I have not fallen on my face. Now I am lost to what you are saying about the 100. We must be talking about two different things. I am saying the membership of most churches around here are about 100 members. It has nothing to do with a lay person or elder, just stating on the average, how many members per church, Comprehende?

8. HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;​

The word (as someone has already mentioned) is poimen and is found 17 times in the NT, translated as "shepherd".​

Matt. 9:36
    Matt. 25:32
    Matt. 26:31
    Mk. 6:34
    Mk. 14:27
    Lk. 2:8
    Lk. 2:15
    Lk. 2:18
    Lk. 2:20
    Jn. 10:2
    Jn. 10:11
    Jn. 10:12
    Jn. 10:14
    Jn. 10:16
    Eph. 4:11
    Heb. 13:20
    1 Pet. 2:25

The function of a pastor-shepherd is in John 21:17 "Feed my sheep".

HankD​

9. Brother Bob New Member

You brought up Diotrophes without saying why. It causes people to wonder, for he is know for his pride. We knew you had a reason for bringing him into the discussion, but you failed to explain why.

BBob

10. EdSutton New Member

An elder may well have the gift of pastor, and probably many do. That elder might also have only the gift of evangelist, administration, helps, or showing mercy, by the same token. And he may well have more than one gift, too. It is just not said anywhere that the gift of pastor and teacher is a 'requirement' for the office of elder, as I have previously posted.

And one with the gift of pastor and teacher may just as easily not be an elder, by the same token. Guess that would make one a "lay" member, hunh?
    Oh BTW, my own five times great, grandfather, Squire Boone, Jr. was the first Baptist preacher to set foot west of the Alleghenies, and the first Baptist to preach a sermon in KY. He was a "lay" preacher, FTR.

I think I have made my position fairly clear on pastor and elder; gift and office. If it is not clear by now, it will never be, for some. I shall not intend to take any more pages on this thread to touch on that, wanting to get back to baptism.

Ed

11. Brother Bob New Member

Thank you HankD;
    But is there anywhere mentioned the qualifications of a sheppard or Pastor, except feed my sheep, or feed my lambs.​

12. Brother Bob New Member

We have many "lay" members who preach sermons. Tis no great thing that Squire Boone Jr. did also. If they continue to grow, we eventually ordain them. I had a 3 or 4th great Uncle by the name of William Scott, who was with Daniel Boone when he was in Kentucky. His brother is buried on my land. I tend his grave as long as I have the health.

For the life of me, I do not understand you keep bringing it up. It is as it is. We have Pastors and all that I know are ordained. If that rubs you raw, so be it. Peace,

13. EdSutton New Member

If baptism is done under the authority of the local church, what local church authorized the baptism of Williams and Hollyman? And if they were not Scripturally baptized, and most of us as Baptists trace our lineage back to Roger Williams, would it not be fair to say that no one since has been Scripturally baptized, either, since we cannot trace this line of baptism back to the Apostles?

I submit that while in practice, baptism is usually done under "the authority of a local church", Biblically that is nowhere stated. And what church can we say gave Philip the authority to baptize the Ethiopian eunech, whether or not by 'determining if the candidate gave evidence of salvation'? Seems to me he was in an awful hurry to get baptized, if I remember my Scripture correctly. "See? Water! What does hinder me from being baptized?" I don't see that Philip took him before the church; rather, he baptized him right then and there!

Likewise, the twelve disciples Paul found at Ephesus when he arrived there for the first time. What church did they go before? Seems they were baptized at the time, and BTW, it does not say Paul actually did the baptizin'! Only says he did the preachin'! You can find these in Acts 8 and 19, I believe.

Ed

14. EdSutton New Member

Once again, Scripture says not one word about Diotrophes having 'pride', so how come "he is known for that"?. It does say he loved 'control', as I read it. I'm glad if neither pride nor control is a problem with you (as I hope it is not with me, save in t hecross of our Lord Jesus Christ, as Paul put it), or with anyone else, for that matter.

Good place to stand, IMO.

But I add, 'ruling' the assembly is part of the job description for the elders, as I posted before. :D

G' nite, all.

Ed

15. Brother Bob New Member

It would be hard for me to distinguish this from pride, and its what says the scripture.

filoprwteuw
    philoproteuo
    fil-op-rote-yoo'-o
    from a compound of filoV - philos 5384 and prwtoV - protos 4413; to be fond of being first, i.e. ambitious of distinction:--love to have the preeminence.

16. charles_creech78 New Member

Acts Chapter 8 vers 36 And as they went on their way they came unto a certain water and the eunuch said See here is water;what doth hinder me to be baptized? vers.37 And Philip said, If thou believest with ALL thine Heart,thou mayest.And he answered and said,I believe that Jesus Christ IS THE SON OF GOD.And he comanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into into the water,both philip and the eunuch;and he baptist him.
    This is what the scripture says. The Church is not a BUILDING, IT IS THE PEOPLE OF GOD.

17. EdSutton New Member

Well, I guess this is a 'Baptist Only' thread! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

18. EdSutton New Member

Since you tacked this onto my post, what is your point? I agree fully that the church is the people, and have never said otherwise. But, as I said, in response to another post, what group of people were these two cases taken before for 'examination'?? I simply don't see any.

And I did not comment on the virtually complete lack of textual support for Acts 8:37 in the Greek manuscripts, because that was not germane to the question asked, FTR.

Ed

19. Brother Bob New Member

Mat 18:20For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

I guess Philip and the Lord made two.

20. charles_creech78 New Member

Amen Brother Bob