Old Regular Baptist (revised)

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Frogman, Apr 13, 2004.

1. old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    History

I think alot of the history out there has come from the Dorgan study.The Wikipedia site has been edited, to remove the names of associations in which certain divisions took place so what is currently posted is not what was up there, like last month.I wouldn't think that any of the Sardis brethern would have been guilty of erasing the history.The Sardis brothers I have known through the years are generally more reasonable than some of the others who can never own that we Old Regular Baptist make mistakes and our associations are not infalable. Brother Mike

2. convicted1 Guest

Re: Old Regular Baptist(revised)

Yesterday, my mom, dad, and I went to Antioch ORB church in Wayne, Wva. They just came into our association(Sardis) this last September, and our under our "watch care" for one year. Let me tell you, that is quite a warm little church! We were blessed by God's prescense! Next month, a committee is supposed to go to their(Antioch's) saturday evening business meeting to check on their doctrine. From what I experienced, I think they will be well satisfied with each other!! Glory to God!!

3. Brother Bob New Member

I hope so, for I am on that committe. Our crowd was way down yesterday, because of memorial and two baptisms over at Pilgrim Home.

BBob,

4. convicted1 Guest

RE: Old Regular Batist

Does anyone know where I could get the book on the history of the ORBs. Brother VirginiaORB sent me a CD of it, but I'd like to get my hands on a copy of the book. I have heard it has been out of print for YEARS, so the chances of acquiring it are approaching "nil". I think it was written by Rufus Perrigan(I know Perrigan is his last name).

Also, where could I get a Sweet Songster and Thomas Hymnal? Someone please let me know!!

Willis

5. convicted1 Guest

RE: Old Regular Baprist(Revised)

Bro Mike,

I knew an old Brother, Bro Cecil Fields(he died in 1998 or 1999), and he said he could remember women leading prayer in church. He was in Tri-State Zion assoc of United Baptists, and he was an ordained Elder for 64 or 65 years. He stated that a lot of the reason why women led prayer back then, was because of WW2, and that there were not a whole lot of CHRISTian men in those churches at that time. So you see, sometimes is wasn't so much that women wanted to "usurp" the authority over the males(like they want to nowadays), but the "supply was limited", so to speak. Someone had to lead prayer.

We had a couple churches leave our association a few years ago(2003?) because they brought a request before the association wanting to allow women to lead prayer. Needless to say, it was shot down, and one church (Sardis church in Delbarton, WV) left. Elk Fork left as well, because the Moderator of Sardis church, was Moderator at Elk Fork, too. Bro Bob could clear things up way better than I can, because he was there(I think) and I was still a sinner, and wasn't there. I hope this helps. (I know that your post is probably close to two years old, but I was reading this again, and I thought I would add to what you said.) With love!!

Willis

6. Jack Matthews New Member

Some of you from down there in Southern West Virginia may know the answer to this question. I grew up around Beckley, and my grandparents and a great uncle and aunt belonged to an Old Regular Baptist church near Gilbert Creek. I was there once or twice when I was a kid, and spent several months with my grandparents when I was in high school. It's been probably 20 years since I was down in that area, and my relatives have passed away, but I was back there a month or so ago, and in driving around, came across what I thought was the meeting house of their church. They had moved to Matewan and spent the last 10 years of their lives there, and eventually were unable to drive back over to their old church. There was no sign in front of the building, and it was hard to tell whether the building was still in use. Does anyone know whether those ORB churches in that area are still functioning, and which ones?

Thanks for the info.

7. convicted1 Guest

RE: Old Regular Baptist(Revised)

Bro Jack,

The only one I am familar with is Rosa church that is in the Sardis association. It is located right beside the road on Gilbert Creek. There are some people on here, like Bro Bob, who should know more about this than me, though. It is a brick church house on the right side of the road, as you travel up Gilbert Creek. Bro Hobart Hamilton is their moderator. It is a real good place to go! I hope this helps.

Willis

8. Brother Bob New Member

If it was on Gilbert Creek, it would have to be the Rosa Church, where Ross Cline, Tracy Hatfield are some of the old preachers who were there years ago. The church is doing very good and is now brick. A wonderful place to go.

BBob,

9. convicted1 Guest

RE:Old Regular Baptist(Revised)

To Bro Mike, Bro Bob, or anyone else who knows:

Why did Northen New Salem come about. Was New Salem so big, that some of their churches "armed off" to make it easier to travel when the associations rolled around? I noticed they(NNS) have only been around for 50 years, or so. Was it a doctrinal dispute that happened, and years later resolved, and they began corresponding?

Willis

10. Brother Bob New Member

It was when all the mines shut down and everyone had to head North to find jobs, of which we all did and they have been living there since around 1952. There were all these people living in the big cities with no church, so they began to organize churches. I was there but not a part of the church, when I think it was Little Ida, that Brother Claude Brown and Brother Dewey Sexton worked to help establish one of the churches. Anyway, that is why Northern New Salem started. The Mother Association was too far away, so they got an arm from the New Salem and established the Northern New Salem. It give all those people so far away from the mountains, to have a place to worship.
    That is what I know about it. I am sure others can give more information about it.

BBob,

11. convicted1 Guest

What is exactly meant by the term "arm off"? Do the churches that "arm off" have to be in a certain association for a period of time, and then they are allowed to become an association of their own? What all entails the procedure that allows a new association to "arm off" of another. I heard Bro Mike Slone mention that SGA "armed off" of Mountain Liberty(or Union?) and they formed SGA. Can someone please clarify this. I am sorry if these questions aren't very clear.......I have done the best I know. Thanks!!

Willis

12. Brother Bob New Member

It is the same as a church organizing in an association, like "little Tavie". Members of that church/association ask for the arm to form another church/association. When it is a church, I think there is a requirement that there be at least 7 members. I do not know about forming another association but I am sure there would have to be a certain number of churches, before the arm would be given. Then they would be under the Mother association, until a committee went and organized them. Almost as if ordaining a brother to preach, the committe would go to them, form themselves into a working body, ask questions to make sure they were orthodox in doctrine and practice and then with prayer they would organize them into a body, whether association or church. Next association of the mother association meeting, the committee would report back and make their report, then the mother association would either accept the work or reject it. There would never be a rejection, unless something took place, where the one's who armed off, had become unorthrodox.

Hope that helps.

BBob,

13. convicted1 Guest

Brother Mike,

Please tell us how your three day Old School Baptist meeting went. I know that they have session 1 on www.oldregular.com available to listen to, but none of the rest of the weekend. If it were held closer, I would have attended at least one day, and listened to some of the preaching, singing, and shouting! Shoot, I probably would have shouted some myself, if God gave me one of His blessings I crave!! I am a believer it went well! May God bless!!

Willis

14. Jack Matthews New Member

Thanks for the info about Rosa Church in Sardis Association at Gilbert Creek. I'm not sure the building I saw was its meeting house, it had been a long time since I was over there and there are a lot of houses around there. But when you mentioned the name of the church, I am certain that is where my grandparents, and aunt and uncle, attended for many years.

15. LeBuick New Member

Sorry to intrude on your thread but I noticed at the link there is usually multiple messages during each service. Is this normal for Old Regs? How long does a service usually last?

16. convicted1 Guest

LeBuick,

Most of our meetings have 3 preachers, but some have 4, 5, and I even once witnessed 7 used one day. If more than 3 are used, each sermon is usually kinda short, so that all have adequate time to bring their message to a "point". They have a preacher open the service, and after he finishes, he calls for a song. While we are singing that song, we go around shaking each other's hand. Then we have a Brother lead us in prayer. After that, someone "follows" the opening, and he is usually the "meat and potatoes" preacher, the one who seems to be very deep in the bible. After he finishes, someone will preach and close. When he finishes, he calls for a song. While the song is being sung, he announces an open door for anyone who believes that God has saved them, and they can come and give their hand to be baptized. Usually the closing preacher will say something like this: "If there's anyone here who has been praying on account of their sins, and they believe that God has saved them, you can come forward and give us your hand to be baptized." It's nothing like most "invitations/altar calls", just an invite into our church. If no one responds, the visiting Brothers will give out their appointments(when and where their home church meets), and then someone will pray a prayer of dismissal. I think that most of the services on www.oldregular.com are very typical of ours, but if you noticed the one that is labeled "session 1", that is from an Old School Baptist three day meeting that Bro Mike Slone(old regular of BB fame) and his association SGA host every year. They have had Missionary Baptists, United Baptists, other ORB associations, any one who is of the Old School persuasion. But Bro Mike is way more qualified to tell you about that, than I am. If it had been closer, I would have loved to went and worshipped with them! Bro LeBuick, if you have any more questions that I didn't explain well enough, pm me and I will do the best to tell you more. Take care, my dear Brother!!

Willis

Edited to add: LeBuick, our services usually run 1.5-2 hrs...but I have known them to last over two hrs.

17. Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    All this sounds alot like how Russian Evangelical Christian-Baptists do church:
    1. Traditionally, Evangelical Christian Baptists follow what we in the States would think of as a Plymouth Brethren style of service.
      [*]
      A typical Sunday (morning or evening) service goes something like this:
    • the Pastor or his designee calls the service to order and gives the Invocation.
      [*]
      a choir number
      [*]
      congregational hymn
      [*]
      the first preacher (the Pastor or the man in charge of the service has previously designated which of the preachers in the church will be speaking at a given service and in what order <Nezavisimaya has +/-12 preachers>) speaks usually for 10-15 minutes.
      [*]
      This message is usually a Call to Worship or Prayer
      [*]
      congregational prayer (three maybe four men or women lead in prayer from their places in the meeting hall, with the preacher closing). This is a time of Thanksgiving for the God's provision in the last week. The preacher closes with a prayer for God's blessing on the coming service.
      [*]
      a congregational hymn
      [*]
      a senior choir number or
      [*]
      a children's choir or
      [*]
      a recitation of Christian poetry by an individual or group
      [*]
      the second preacher speaks (see d. above). This preacher brings a strong Bible Message for 20-25 minutes.
      [*]
      repeat f-i.
      [*]
      the third preacher speaks (usually at Nezavisimaya this is Pastor M. This man ties the two previous speakers together. (And he may launch off on his own message.)
      [*]
      see e. above
      [*]
      congregational hymn and offering
      [*]
      greetings from various churches
      [*]
      prayer requests are taken and final prayer two+ hours later.

18. Brother Bob New Member

In the Old Regular Baptist, we try to hold to scripture. "let two or three speak and the rest judge". In the last few years, some of the churches are getting away from that and preaching several brethrem, as high as 6 at least. I usually avoid these churches for none of the preachers have time to preach a message, always concerned about the other preaching brethren. I usually take around 45 minutes when I am called on. I don't mind using 4 preachers, but when they go over that, I feel it takes away from the meeting. Of course that is just my opinion, but also most of the older churches practice the same. If a preacher only has 10 to 15 minutes, he has to hit the floor a running, and I am not that kind of preacher.

BBob,

19. LeBuick New Member

That wouldn't be Baptist... :laugh: :thumbs:

20. old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Old School Baptist Meeting

The meetings were wonderful, much harmony was found.The meetings are mostly Old Regular, United and Primitive Brethern.The Mssionary Baptist that attend are from Missouri and their associations were United Baptist.During these meetings order is kept ,and the Brothers only preach with those ,whom they are allowed to, by their local churches.The services are not all, going to be on the Blessed Hope site for various reasons, their was over 26 sermons in three days and some of the brothers do not believe in being taped, also practices that some groups have adopted are not the practice of SGA and this genders to some confusion ,like last year one of the brothers mentioned an altar, which we would not have in our churches, but some of the Uniteds do have them.I do feel these meetings have brought brothers closer and have helped brothers understand each other better. I do not forsee the Old Regular Baptist making any effort to re-unite, they for all real practiable purposes are two separate bodies at this time, and they are more accepting of other orders than each other(sorry that sounds negative, but it is the truth) Brother Mike