Old Regular Baptist (revised)

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Frogman, Apr 13, 2004.

1. convicted1 Guest

RE: Old Regular Baptist(Revised)

Bro Mike,

I am so glad to hear that everything went well at the SGA Old School Fellowship meetings! I remember what you were talking about one of the Brothers mentioning an altar, and may an altar call? I couldn't help but think that was/is way different than we practice. BTW, what exactly is the difference between the pulpits we use in the ORBs that is different than the "altars" others have? I have been to both "sides" but never really looked close enough at the pulpits/altar to notice a difference. Any info would help!!

Willis

2. pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And it is still the stance of many PB's at this time. Hopefully, I am one of them.

The true Old School PB's still outnumber the modern "primitive" ones.

3. Bethelassoc Member

-- Double Post --

4. Bethelassoc Member

Pinoy, I believe the Old School or Old Line is by far the largest grouping of the Primitive Baptists. I also believe they have the most in common with the other old style baptists, beit Old Regular, United, etc.

5. Grandmas Girl New Member

Hello

Hi guys, Im new on here and i have a question. I live in michigan and was raised attending the Little Polly Church of Old Regular Baptist. I was wondering if there was anyone on here familiar with this church or who may have attended it. My Grandma "Sister Polly" was an original member of this church, but now holds her letter at kendalville IN., She has really declined in her health as she is going on 93 years old and I am requesting prayers for her. I am sure that she would like to hear from any aquaintances that may remember her. Thanks

Grandmas Girl

6. Brother Bob New Member

I have looked through all the churches in all the associations we have and could not find "Little Polly". I also looked through the Indian Bottom Association and could not find it.
    There are others on here that knew of some of the churches who no longer exist, maybe they will answer you before long. Could you tell us the State that "Little Polly" church is/was in??

I lived in Mich also for many years. I lived the last 8 years in Garden City. I once lived up North at Caro, Mich. for around 11 years. I went back and preached a funeral last year. I have been very sick with heart surgeries and I had to drive myself. I thought I would never see Mich again, so when I crossed the State line and saw the sign "you are now entering the State of Michigan" , I cried my eyes out.

God Bless,

BBob,

7. convicted1 Guest

RE: Old Regular Baptist(Revised)

Bro Bob,

There is a Little Polly church that is in Indiana, and in 2006, they went under watchcare of the Sovereign Grace Association of ORBs, per their 2006 minutes. From what I have gathered, they were in New Salem or Union(probably New Salem) at one time, but pulled out over differences in doctrine...I am venturing to guess it has to do with predestinaton, elect versus non-elect, etc. I haven't gotten the SGA's 2007 minute yet, so I don't know if Little Polly is still under watchcare, or they were taken into full fellowship. Bro Mike Slone probably knows a lot more about this church than I do, so Grandmas Girl should PM old regular, and he could tell her about it.

Willis

8. Brother Bob New Member

I found one of our churches that is in the Northern New Salem Association near Kendallville, Indiana and is called Little Flossie Church.
    Moderator is Elder Russell Hicks
    Assistant Moderator is Elder Morris Wicker

Grandmas Girl, is this the church that Sister Polly belongs now???

BBob, :praying:

9. Grandmas Girl New Member

Hello

Hi every one. The Little Polly Church of Old Regular Baptist used to... {If I remember correctly} originally belong to the Northern New Salem Association. It was/is in Marshall, Michigan. It no longer has membership with the association any more. The church in Kendallville Indiana is correct and yes that is where she has her letter now. I beleive that when she was in Kentucky, she attended Stone Coal church also, so maybe some one may remember her from there. She used to be married to Elder Richard Griffith, but he passed away in 2002. Thank you all so much for help, If anyone you know knows her please let me know.

Thanks Again:praying:

10. Brother Bob New Member

I know where the Stone Coal is at Garrett, Ky. Elder Raymond Lawson is Moderator (Phone number 606/358-2717), and Elder Glennis Warrens (Phone number 606/358-2133), is Assistant Moderator. I have never been there and don't believe I know these brethren.

This is in the New Salem Association.

BBob,

11. Union ORB New Member

Grandma's Girl,

I do know that Little Polly Church was in the NNS Association, and I remember Bro Rich Griffith. I thought he belonged to Stone Coal Church at the time of his death; but not sure.

I'm not sure what the problem was in the Church, but the church left, than tried to come back, and now they are gone again.

I know Sister Ella Mae Hamilton; she belonged there, as well as several of her family. She now lives in Floyd County, Kentucky.

12. old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Little Polly is an independent ORB Church it left the NNS and had a working relationship with the SGA, as far as I known they are still meeting. Bro.Mike

13. old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Old Regular Baptist

There are two main divisions of Old Regular Baptist one tolerates some Arminian Doctrine the others are Primitive Baptist in Doctrine these two sides many exist in an large association , but they are the minorty party there several associations who have correspondence with the Primitive Baptist these would be called Old School Associations or some call them Hardshell and Primitive Old Regular Baptist ,these associations are not in the New Salem -Union cluster of churches. Brother Slone

14. old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This week July16th ,17th and 18th the Sovereign Grace Association of Old Regular Baptist[old school] Lord's will ,will be meeting at the New Mt.Zion Church in Attica,Ohio.Everyone is welcome!!! The origin of these churches trace back to the Particular Baptist, the origin of the association would trace back to the Separate - Regular Union. Brother Mike

15. old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I for the record would like to say that all posts on this website do not always reflect my own convictions on a particular question or that of my home church or the association we are in.There are more than one faction of Old Regular Baptist, if I try to show what a universalist Primitive Baptist believes that doesn't mean ,that all Primitive Baptist are universalist nor does it mean that I hold that doctrine, even if I show what scriptures they use to present it.I am more than willing to discuss what my personal convictions are on any subject if asked and will answer them with what light and understanding I have, if you want to make a public record of what I as an Old Regular/Old School Baptist Elder Believe then ask away but I Think it should be on the theology page or a special format. Elder Slone

16. airjacobs New Member

I am in a discussion now on prophesying and I believe preaching is prophesying. I also believe that sisters are able to prophesy but not preach, but preaching is prophesying. If a sister tell others of the second coming of Christ and He loves them, I think she has prophesied to them. what say you?

17. old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the scriptures when you see women crying out with a loud voice testifying of Christ they appear to be what we call shouting in the old regular,s not preaching the Gospel while the male prophets may have also preached this was never placed on a woman nor can a woman be an Elder or a minister nor can she be suffered to teach nor usurp
    authority over a man the Spirit can and does move on women but their prophesying, is not gospel preaching, they were never asked to get up and preach in the new testament or the old just shouts of praise.I would go further in detail but the moderators do not like this forum to be anything but history.You can send me a note, also I think that this subject has been explored elsewhere but for the record no Primitive ,Old Regular would advocate women preachers not even the softshell sides. Bro.mike:thumbs:

18. convicted1 Guest

Re:Old Regular Baptists(Revised)

Bro Mike,

Being on the "softside" of the ORBs, I completely agree with what you stated. I know that it takes the same Spirit to preach and shout, but men have been given the "Calling" in regards to preaching and not women, per 1Timothy Ch. 3 and Titus Ch. 1. A few years ago, two churches left the Sardis association because they brought a petition before the association wanting to allow the Sisters to lead prayer. Well, that was shot down thisquick, and they left. Actually, I think one church-Sardis church in Delbarton, Wva-brought the petition, and when they left, the Elk Fork church pulled out, too, because they had the same Moderator. I wasn't there, so this is all second-hand knowledge, but I do think it's pretty close to what really happened. With love!!

i am I am's!!

Willis

BTW, how did they Sovereign Grace Association three day meeting go? I pray that y'all shouted the housetop off! When does Mt. Moriah host it again, Bro Mike? I'd love to come and worship with y'all!!

19. old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sovereign Grace Association

The next session will be at the Lakeville Community Center in Magoffin County KY Mount Moriah is the host church then it goes to the next church in the association by age so right now each church host the association every 4 years if for some reason they can not it passes to the next church inline.The odd weekend in Oct 2010 starting friday at 1pm Blessed Hope Church will host the Old School Baptist Fellowship meeting, the church is not too far from Liberty, Ky everyone is welcomed to attend even the softshell brothers!! Brother Mike

20. old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Travail from nature to Grace

This term is used by both sides of Old Regular Baptist it[the term] by itself is not found in scripture but travail is found several places, speaking of labor pain and tribulation, like Isaiah 66 or Jeremiah 30:6 the term from nature to grace comes from the Philadelphia or London Confession of Faith 1689 chapter 10 of Effectual Calling if you look at paragraph 1"Those whom God predestinated unto life,he is pleased in his appointed,and accepted time,effectually to call,by his Word and Spirit,out of that state of sin and death in which they are by nature,to grace and salvation by Jesus Christ;....." This confession is where the Union Association articles of faith were abstracted it is also the confession approved by the old line Primitive Baptist in 1900 it might be of interest of some people in Tennesee that several of the Elders who framed the Fulton address in 1900 where called Regular Baptist, it is from this group of Regular Baptist that we get The Thomas Hymnal by Elder E.D Thomas.The hardshell side believes that the travail is evidence that a person has been quickened, regenerated and taken from a state of nature and been made partakers of the divine nature by the purpose and grace,which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began. Elder Slone