1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old Regular Baptist (revised)

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Frogman, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

I see a new member, and Old Regular, so Bump.

2. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear Brothers,
    I hope to answer a few of your questions on the Old Regular Baptist.I have been a member since 1980.There are two Burning Springs Associations both give the same date as their orgin, the assoc
    split several years ago.They go by the title Regular Primitive since sometime in the 1930s before that Regular Baptist,and at one time United Baptist. Burning Springs armed off the New Salem who armed off the Sandlick,Union,Mates Creek
    Kyova,Philadelphia,Northern New Salem.The Mates Creek,Sandlick go by the name Regular Primitive also a minorty split in the Union.The associations that use the term Old Regular Baptist in their title in this section of the country are the New Salem,Union,Sardis,Mountain 1and 2,Old Indian Bottom,Indian Bottom,Old Friendship,Friendship,Thorton Union,Mountain Liberty,Sovereign Grace,Bethel,Philadelphia, Northern New Salem,Mud River is down to one church,Kyova no longer meets, some it's former churches are indepedant ,Little Dove, its churches went to Mountain Liberty,Mountain Valley,there are some that just use the term Regular Baptist like Little Zion association etc these are not Union Baptist nor GARBC's some are in correspondence with Primitive Baptist Assoc's.I hope this information might be of use to you all. A brother in hope of eternal life,
    Elder M.K Slone

3. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Dear Elder Sloan

Thanks for the input. Now tell us about yourself. [​IMG]

Elder Jeff Weaver

4. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    DEAR ELDER WEAVER,
    I FEEL AND HOPE THE LORD ADDED ME TO HIS CHURCH IN 1980, I WAS 17 @ THE TIME.MY HOME CHURCH WAS PLEASANT VIEW IN THE NNS ASSOC.ORB OF JESUS CHRIST.I JOINED THE USN IN 1982 AS A NON-COMBATANT HOSPITAL CORPSMEN,I MOVED MY LETTER TO BE CLOSER TO MY DUTY STATION IN GREAT LAKES ILL.SO THEN I WAS A MEMBER AT LITTLE ELLEN IN THE NEW SALEM ASSOCIATION.CURRENTLY I HAVE MY MEMBERSHIP AT THE MT. ZION ORB CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST IN THE SOVEREIGN GRACE ASSOCIATION.MY WIFE AND I LIVE IN RURAL CASEY CO KY NEAR THE ADAIR LINE.WE HAVE 5 BIOLOGICAL CHILDREN AND 2-3 FOSTER CHILDREN WE RAISE SOME LIVESTOCK GOATS CATTLE ETC FOR OUR OWN USE.I AM WORKING IN E-TOWN KY @ THE SLEEP CENTER AS A RESP.THERAPIST AND KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT COMPUTERS AND I HATE TO TYPE,LOVE TO READ.I DON'T KNOW IF THAT INFORMATION TOLD YOU MUCH, BUT I AM JUST A BROTHER IN HOPE TRYING TO LIVE BY WHAT LIGHT AND UNDERSTANDING THE LORD HAS GIVEN ME. BRO MIKE SLONE

[ June 02, 2004, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: old regular ]

5. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Dear Bro. Sloan

Thanks for the information. It is helpful.

I am a wee bit older than you are, actually a lot older, but that's another story. [​IMG]

Reason I asked, was that I thought you might be one of the SGA ORB mentioned in this thread. Just trying to get a handle on how you fit in.

As I stated in the thread, my father's family are Mountain Union Baptists, which are about as close to ORB as you can get without being one. They use the formal name "Regular Baptist" omitting the "Old" part. I took after Mom's family though and am a PRimitive Baptist type person, coming up on 25th anniversary of my ordination next month.

I am currently a member of Tumbling Creek Church in Washington Co., VA, in the St. Clair District Primitive Baptist Association. We are in correspondence with some folks over your way, like the Burning Springs, Mates Creek, Union, and Sandlick. So we do head that way from time to time. Union Association is this weekend at Millstone Church at Eolia, Letcher Co., KY, but I can't go, but no doubt some of our folks will be over there.

I know there are some ORBs which are Primitive Baptist in all but name, and then there are those that aren't. Of course there are Primitive Baptists in name which bear no resemblance to the rest of us either.

Jeff Weaver

6. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear Elder Weaver,
    The Sovereign Grace Association Of Old Regular Baptist of Jesus Christ is very close in doctrine to the Bethel Assn. ORB or The Sandlick Reg.Primitive of Ky.I have numerous friends in the Primitives/Mountain Union/and among all the ORB associations in this region.SGA's practice would be more like the New Salem ORB.You will find among the larger ORB associations a large spectrum of doctrine depending on what creek,or Church you vist, .anything from absolute predestnation to free moral agency.This is sad but true.Old Regulars truly are just one of the divisons of Old School Baptist.I have never heard of any of them using the terms General or Paticular when dealing with the atonement in my time.Our association carries an abstract principle that states we belive that the redeemption purchased to be special for the church.However when the Regulars and Seperates came together they agreed that the preaching that Christ tasted death for everyman would be no bar to communion.There was one reference to General Atonement being preached by an Elder Hopkins in the blue history book he was the moderator of the New Salem it caused such a stir that some of the correspondence withdrew their letters and so did several of New Salems own churches.They never did patch things up with some of the correspondence and as the question of absolute predestination of all things both good and evil began to appear the Mates Creek Split and the Sardis Assn came from that divison. New Salem dropped Burning Springs over Secret Order.The Regs and Primitives still preached together during all the turmoil and some did even after non fellowships had been declared.
    I asked what was the major cause of divison between them, the old brethern said most of it was jealousy.As to the ORB preaching a General Atonement at present.I think it would be based on what one considered the term to mean.I looked at some definitions on the web,when I was with that side of Old Regulars (New Salem- Union)I don't recall anyone saying that Christ shed his blood to make all men savable but rather that he by the Grace of God tasted death for every man but shed his blood for many.Would that statement qualify as general atonement or not? I believe that he was given power over all flesh to give eternal life to as many as the Father gave him and that the redemption purchased will atone the sins of his Elect Lady,that he is a special Savior to the believer.We refer to our view of the atonement as special or limited.Old Regulars and Primitive Baptist in our region don't like to be called Calvinist because we believe Pauls Teachings predated him, and also Calvin was not an Old School Baptist.The SGA believes that the gospel doesn't give life and immortality but rather brings it to light.I myself have enjoyed visting with Brothers who call themselves calvinist,absoluters supra/sublapsarians etc.. I love the people of God and enjoy hearing brethern preaching the Free Grace of God. I hope this helps to give a clearer picture of who we are .I also hope that no one takes personal offense to what I have said.Sorry about the capital letters
    I was unaware that it meant I was shouting.Most Old Regulars don't get on the inter net, and some would be upset that I have made an attempt.
    In Hope
    Brother M.Slone

7. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I noticed a question about the Kyova ORB ASSN.The Churches that formed this association came from a split in the Bethlehem United Baptist Association the Churches lettered to the New Salem ASSN. of ORB then were latter given an arm to form Kyova.This association sent a request asking the other assns not to recieve members from labor unions such as UMW as they considered them to be secret order.New Salem returned their letter and told them they could not comply with their request.I believe the assn. moderator was Elder C Cole who wrote a long letter about the beast's kingdom. I may have the dates to these events somewhere in my library. Bro. M.Slone

8. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a quick note, I was assuming that Bro. Weaver meant General when speaking about some ORBS holding to universal atonement.Would not an universal atonement equal an universal salvation? There is a group in Va of Primitive Baptist that teach this along with what we call the no hell doctrine.
    Bro.Slone

9. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Dear Elder Slone:

I'm glad to see you on here. I hope that you will be posting more info soon.

I was fortunate to receive a 1996 minute book from New Salem last week. It is a much bigger minute book than what I am accustomed to.

David

10. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Dear Bro. Slone

Thanks for the information. I think we are not on the same page here, so best to claify. By a general atonement I mean that there are some who believe that Jesus died for everyone, and it is left up to the sinner to accept or reject. The Primitive Baptist No Heller believe that Jesus died for everyone and all will achieve heaven whether or not they accept Him. I am of the opinion that neither opinion is correct, but rather, that Jesus accomplished all that the Father sent him to do, and firmly believe what the angel told Joseph: Fear not to take unto thee Mary, thy wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call His name Jesus, for he Shall save His people from their sins. Since there is no mention of man anywhere in there, I believe he can do it without our help. I am not so bold as to believe that I can identify all of these people, where they are, or when that salvation might come. Might be at conception, might be on the death bed.

Hope it helps clarify.

Jeff.

11. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Bro Slone:

To clarify, is this split from Old Bethlehem or the second (and bigger) Bethlehem? If you get the chance, could you give me the dates of this situation? I appreciate you clearing up what Perrigan said in his book. It makes sense now. Thanks.

David

12. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Bro Weaver:

I don't have any info on the members of Burning Springs that were delegates to Mt. Zion. I did find on the Old Line Messenger website the ministers of Burning Springs and saw the name of Elder Jerry Brown.

I'm wondering if this is the same one that sung on a Don Rigsby Bluegrass CD? I also have a CD of him singing some old songs. My brother-in-law is related to the Jerry Brown (PB Elder) on the CDs.

I thought it was interesting.

David

13. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Bro. David

Don't know about Elder Brown singing on CD's. I might see him for a few mintues a couple of times a year at associational meetings.

Sorry can't be of help.

Jeff.

14. DrewH

DrewH New Member

Hi Guys, I'm the guy working on the Barren River Association materials that Bethelassoc mentioned. my website is www.barrenriverassociation.org. Please please feel free to ask me questions about this association. I'm no expert but I will try to share what I know.

15. DrewH

DrewH New Member

Just a note about the Green River Association. It continues to meet every year. I'm planning on going this fall when it meets - probably at a church in Edmonson or Grayson County... I also have some old minutes of the GRA

16. DrewH

DrewH New Member

If it would not be out of order, I would like to issue some "talking points" on the Barren River Association. The one still in operation is simply the Barren River Association (org. 1830). The other two were called the Barren River Regular Baptist Association (1836) and the Original Barren River Association (1841) and they are both dissolved.

17. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Drew:

Just to point out, the existing Barren River Association still uses "United Baptist" in their name but are Missionary, correct?

Elder Weaver:

I think this is the same elder. The songs he sings (and lines out) are done beautifully.

18. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

That sounds about right, almost all of the hymns in this part of the world are "lined-out."

Jeff.

19. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Drew, I'd like to welcome you. It's good to find people that are interested in researching, sharing and discussing Baptist history! Hope to hear more from you.

rlvaughn

20. DrewH

DrewH New Member

From 1830 through 1888, the Association was titled, "Barren River Association of United Baptist Churches of Christ." In 1888, they dropped the United and didn't have any other label other than "Baptist" and in the early 1900s, "Missionary" was inserted in the title of the Association, "Barren River Association of Missionary Baptists." The "Church of Christ" part was also dropped.