1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Only Those Whom the Father Draws to Christ

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by KenH, Aug 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Non-responsive answer!!!!
    I did see once again the regurgitation of the literal rather than metaphoric meaning of draw. The meaning is attract, not drag.
    See Strong's!!!!

2. metaphorically, to draw by inward power, lead, impel: John 6:44 (so in Greek also; as ἐπιθυμίας... ἑλκουσης ἐπὶ ἡδονάς, Plato, Phaedr., p. 238 a.; ὑπὸ τῆς ἡδονῆς ἑλκόμενοι, Aelian h. a. 6, 31; likewise 4 Macc. 14:13; 15:8 (4 Macc 15:11). trahit sua quemque voluptas, Vergil, ecl. 2, 65); πάντας ἑλκύσω πρὸς ἐμαυτόν, I by my moral, my spiritual, influence will win over to myself the hearts of all, John 12:32. Cf. Meyer on John 6:44; [Trench, § 21, Compare: ἐξέλκω.]​

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word "impel" means to force.

People give up all kinds of things, but when it comes to the idea of their "free will" they will cling to it, regardless of the spiritual consequences for them. It reminds me of what John Milton has Satan say in Paradise Lost: "Better to reign in hell than serve in heav'n".

3. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is clear to everyone is that you abuse scripture in the hope it will fit your errant theology.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are you wasting posts denying the metaphorical meaning of draw as "win over" not compel.
    You are the one who cited Strong's!!

2. metaphorically, to draw by inward power, lead, impel: John 6:44 (so in Greek also; as ἐπιθυμίας... ἑλκουσης ἐπὶ ἡδονάς, Plato, Phaedr., p. 238 a.; ὑπὸ τῆς ἡδονῆς ἑλκόμενοι, Aelian h. a. 6, 31; likewise 4 Macc. 14:13; 15:8 (4 Macc 15:11). trahit sua quemque voluptas, Vergil, ecl. 2, 65); πάντας ἑλκύσω πρὸς ἐμαυτόν, I by my moral, my spiritual, influence will win over to myself the hearts of all, John 12:32. Cf. Meyer on John 6:44; [Trench, § 21, Compare: ἐξέλκω.]​

5. Brightfame52

Brightfame52 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just stated which is it. The dead cant hear naturally, its by a miracle of God.

6. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing false about it, drawing is the impartation of Spiritual life, the New Birth.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, yet another false claim to defend a prior false claim. Falselogy is defended by an endless stream of false claims.

Here is the basic biblical truth, we love God because we beheld that God first loved us. But it our love for God that motivates and controls and compels our behavior to serve Christ. Recall "if you love Me, you will keep My commandments?" (John 14:15)

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I said, an endless string of false claims with no revelent verses of support.

Drawing used metaphorically in John 6:44 and John 12:32 refers to attraction due to God's display of loving kindness.

And spiritually dead lost people can learn of God's lovingkindness through His revelation. John 5:25

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are you clinging to your idea of "free will". Why won't you trust God to save you? Why do you insist that you are in control of being saved?

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another change of subject coupled with another material false statement. Do I advocate "free will?" No quote will be forth coming as the claim is another falsehood in the string. What is my view, does "Limited Spiritual Ability" ring a bell?"

11. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whats clear is that you dont have a clue what drawing entails, its a New Spiritual Life ! A New Inner Man, Spiritual and not carnal.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It wouldn't be plagarism as I wrote the post. I am not going to repeat arguments so recently debated by posting all the same stuff again when a link will suffice for any reasonable person.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So I was right and JOJ and the other guy was wrong. :)

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Subterfuge for "free will-ism". A sewer by any other name still stinks.

15. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its hilarious that you cant understand that raising someone from the dead isnt a miracle of God. Let me ask you, When Jesus spoke to the dead Lazarus, when Lazarus heard His voice, was it a Miracle of God or No ?

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did see once again the regurgitation of the literal rather than metaphoric meaning of draw. The metaphorical meaning is attract, not drag.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On one side we have exhaustive determinists, claiming our every thought and action was predetermined by God. This view is openly endorsed by Hyper-Calvinist, and perhaps secretly held by some main-stream Calvinists. However, on the other side are the majority of professing Christians, who believe we are "free" to choose whatever we fancy. Buried in this group are some fifth columnists claiming we can only "fancy" the dark side.

Lying between these two canards is biblical truth.

The biblical truth is that fallen humanity has limited autonomous will. We can choose what we fancy, but unless God has revealed His good news, we cannot choose to trust in it. Thus our will is obviously limited to what we have experienced or imagined.

Next we are predisposed in ways that curtail the likelihood of choosing to follow God's will. For example, if given the choice between self preservation and doing the right thing, we would tend to save ourselves. This is not a hard limit but an aggregate limit.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is amazing why you think misrepresenting my views is God honoring.
    \
    Did I say being regenerated spiritually, being made alive spiritually was not a miracle. Nope - so yet another false charge.

Did I say those physically dead are able to respond to the gospel offer? Nope, Luke 16 teaches the exact opposite, the opportunity dies with physical death.

20. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said the dead can hear and quoted Jn 5:25

25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

Did you not know that Jesus here is speaking about a miracle ? Not something men naturally do. Do you believe men naturally hear when they are dead ? Next time you go to a funeral or see a corpse, speak to it to see if it hears you lol

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.