1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OSAS does not survive the "sola scriptura" test

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Rom 11 "you stand only by your FAITH"
    19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.” 20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.

"otherwise" is pointing to a different future - instead of a "continue in his kindness" future - the one who 'stands by faith" may in the future choose some other course and is being warned not to do that... warned to "persevere" as Paul also says in Romans 2.

you can not fail to "continue" to persevere in something you never had to start with -- your statement is expressed in the form of a self-contradiction so that it could never happen -- which is a good example of what we do NOT find Paul writing in Romans 11.

You said "If you are a tare, you will not persevere." -- you will not persevere "in what"??? (That is what I keep asking).

Do you really think the tares do not 'persevere in being lost'??? really? And then do you claim to failure to persevere in being lost - will end up in getting them to be lost??

OR are you admitting that they "do not persevere in staying saved"???

It is the Bible that gives us the warning --

19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.” 20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.

God wrote the Bible.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same type of warning God gave to us in Hebrews Chapter 6, as point in both passages is that there are mere professors of Jesus who are not really saved, and they will prove that by falling by the wayside!

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    By definition - "continuing" is "persevering" -- at some point OSAS needs to stand up to the facts.

Romans 2 also affirms the same point for those who "persevere"

5 But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, 6 who will render to each person according to his deeds: 7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; 8 but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, 10 but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God. 12 For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; 13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified.

It is not the fallen Jews that are getting the warning... it is those who "STAND by their faith" that are being warned

19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.” 20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear.

Yep they were believers and they stand by faith.

21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hebrews 6 does not say "never were saved".. you cannot "fall" if you are not standing.

4 For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those who fell from Grace there were never saved though, as the author contrasts yjem with the surety o those he is writing to, who are good soils, and not mere proffers as in Chapter 6!

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for actually answering my question!1 How refreshing!!

The Greek word translated "perseverance" in the version you quoted in red, means to hold steady under a load. Picture a burro being loaded. As the weight is added, a burro might figit or move or kick, but one that stands fast, and holds steady is exhibiting "hypomone." (G5281).

The usage indicates continuing steadfastly in whatever ministry is being engaged in. So here, if a person does not persevere, they would face loss of rewards, not loss of salvation. Note alos the concept of doing good. To repeat, only those born anew are able to do good, all the righteous deeds of the lost are as filthy rags to God.

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Turns out we can use it that way in English too.

The usage indicates continuing steadfastly -- and in Romans 2 it is "in doing good" vs "doing evil". Context matters in the realm of proper exegesis.

Rom 2
    5 But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, 6 who will render to each person according to his deeds: 7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life;

So then -- instead of getting "the wrath of God" seen in Rev 14 and Rev 15 - Romans 2 says the "other option" is to get - "eternal life".

But vs 7 focuses on those who get "eternal life" and notice that they "persevere IN DOING good" and in seeking for immortality.

By contrast we have the "other option" in vs 8 for those who "Do EVIL" and "do not obey the truth"

8 but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek,

10 but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God. 12 For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; 13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified.

Nothing at all in the chapter about those in heaven being subjected to the "wrath of God", tribulation etc -- even though this is "the heaven" some have imagined for us.

=========================

And it brings the same perseverance subject that we see in Romans 11

but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off.

It is not the fallen Jews that are getting the warning... it is those who "STAND by their faith" that are being warned

19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.” 20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear.

Yep they were believers and they stand by faith.

21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.

#107 BobRyan, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ]Hebrews 6 does not say "never were saved".. you cannot "fall" if you are not standing.

4 For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.

1. you can't fall from grace without first being under Grace -- and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come

2. The idea that those under Grace have no salvation is foreign to the Bible so you simply "quote yourself"..

Fine you have free will and you can continue to 'quote you' as the "authority" for your doctrine -- but I prefer the actual Bible.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Mr. Ryan, since you edited out part of my post and again regurgitated your views which I have addressed, it would be pointless to steadfastly continue in the ministry of truth. OSAS is biblical truth, once God transfers us into the kingdom of His Son, we are sealed in Christ forever.

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1. You have free will and are welcome to simply "affirm your preferences" rather than look at the Bible details I have highlighted. Each one can choose that same path if they wish - and "Everyone doing so" would not have allowed the Protestant Reformation to get off the ground in the first place -- as I am sure you and I would both agree.

2. In my previous post I narrowed the "detail" down to a precise contradiction between your statement and the actual Bible details on that very point. It appears you are happy to leave it at that - and I have no objection to it either.

3. You could post "OSAS is bible truth" a 100 times and I could respond "OSAS is doctrinal error according to the Bible" 100 times --- would be pointless.

4. OR I could respond with the same Bible texts showing where it fails the test of scripture again and again. Bringing up those same bible details that you might prefer not to address.

In any case you have free will - and I am not trying to at all change your mind against your will. Neither am I arguing that those who oppose the Bible details I bring up on this topic are not saved.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Author contrasts those mentioned there with those that he expects and knows has eternal life, the good soil.
    Do you hold then once we forfeit eternal life, always stay lost, just one chance at it?

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hebrews 6 carefully details the saved state of those who were saved then fell and were nonredeemable -- Romans 11 by contrast details the case of those who though saved ... may fall and yet are still redeemable "His is able to graft them in AGAIN if they do not continue in unbelief"

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice try, but both passages describe to us those who were mere professors of faith in Jesus, and not really saved, as in the end, they turned away in unbelief!

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not true at all.

In Romans 11 they are simply warned to stay away from unbelief -- they have not had salvation revoked yet.
    In Heb 6 - they fell from grace - from full participation in salvation - they had it... they lost it.

15. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Never had it, Never wills.......

We know they get hell.

Hebrews 10

29How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace?

This is someone else, The "never had it" we are told, Jesus did not die for them, They were not sanctified by the covenant made by Jesus Christ.

So this is someone Jesus did die for, but they regarded blood of Jesus as trash, They are believers You can't insult grace unless it was rejected being offered.

Nonbelievers, Never had it, Never wills....we already know they get hell. What about these guys who get a MUCH SEVERER PUNISHMENT?

26For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES.

AFTER receiving knowledge of the truth. A reprobate has NEVER received the knowledge of the truth.

Who are these believers who received the truth. Who were sanctified by Jesus Christ? Who have a terrifying expectation of Judgment that is a WORSE punishment then a unbeliever?

Plenty folks here would argue that only the regenerated man has the capacity of receiving the knowledge of the truth.

#115 utilyan, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  16. delizzle

delizzle Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't forget about James 5:19-20.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. delizzle

delizzle Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't forget about Revelation 22:19.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible clearly and repeatedly teaches that God "chastens His own" and it says He "scourgeth every son He receiveth". If you are "His own" it's a done deal, but God punishes us when we sin or continue in sin. The verses you posted from Hebrews 10 say nothing about eternal damnation, but do warn of "sore punishment" and "fiery indignation" and it is referring to "His people".

23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) 24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: 25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: 29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.

31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Nice!

• Like Like x 1
  20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    John 1:11 "He came to His OWN and His OWN received Him not"

Thread Status: