1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OSAS does not survive the "sola scriptura" test

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't see why you are not a Calvinist.

Part of free will I have the option to reject God, Now your saying is I don't have a choice.

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 John 2:

18Children, it is the last hour; and just as you heard that antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have appeared; from this we know that it is the last hour. 19They went out from us, but they were not really of us; for if they had been of us, they would have remained with us; but they went out, so that it would be shown that they all are not of us. 20But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you all know. 21I have not written to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it, and because no lie is of the truth. 22Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son. 23Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father; the one who confesses the Son has the Father also. 24As for you, let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father.

3. utilyan

Site Supporter

1 John 3

10By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.

4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 John:
    7For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist. 8Watch yourselves, that you do not lose what we have accomplished, but that you may receive a full reward. 9Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son. 10If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not give him a greeting; 11for the one who gives him a greeting participates in his evil deeds.​

5. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A child of God DOES have free will, but God chastens us for going our own way. Why? because after a person is saved, he now belongs to God. 1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Author of Hebrews contrasted those he mentions in Chapter 6, the mere professors and not saved, with those he expects to be saved and to produce good fruit, so 2 distinct different groups!

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His own would be the Jewish people of that time.
    Bottom line on this issue, Jesus stated that ALL who he saved will get raised up in the end, NONE will be lost again, right or wrong?

Basically, its the word of the Son of God vrs a false prophetess on this issue!

8. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. utilyan

Site Supporter

I believe that is the truth for everyone. If you were to behave consistent you would be Calvinist.

"saved, he now belongs to God"

That is nonsense you can only REgenerate something that had been generated. you can only RESCUE and SAVE something that is in trouble to begin with.

I'm saying point to someone who you say is not saved, And that same person I say is a child of God who belongs to God.

10. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Bro. Ryan,

Then is your thesis is correct, can I (we) assume that you are a believer in a General Atonement of Christ? That Christ died to make salvation possible for all? Or that he actually died to save sinners?

Please enlighten me if you will?

rd

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have enough free will remaining to always choose to reject God.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ONLY those who have received jesus as Messiah are children of God, correct?

• Like Like x 1
  13. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi rd -- nice post.

Sorry I am late seeing it

Atonement by definition -- has to include everything God says that it includes... So then let's go to the "Day of Atonement". Leviticus 16.

In that Chapter the "macro-definition" the LARGE scope of Atonement includes two things

1. The work of Christ as the Lord's Goat - the Sin offering, the Lamb of God, the Atoning sacrifice (all names for the same thing).

2. The work of Christ as High Priest - applying the blood to the sanctuary and altar and people

When it is all done.. that larger concept of "Atonement is done".

Many popular views try and "shrink" that scope down to "just the Atoning Sacrifice" since of course that was in fact fully completed at the cross. But then the conflate that specific narrowed scope with the much larger one as if both are satisfied... and of course they are not, as we see in Hebrews 8 and 9 Christ begins His work as High Priest for us in heaven... AFTER the cross.

So then .. "General Atoning Sacrifice" - yes. A sacrifice on the cross that includes the scope of payment for sins - for all sins for all mankind in all of time.

14. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So explain Hebrews 10:14...

Hebrews 10:14
    King James Version (KJV)

14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Either we have been made complete in regards to remission of sins or the Writer, hence the Holy Ghost...
    ...has made a grievous error.

God bless.

15. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Phl 1:6 KJV - "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform [it] until the day of Jesus Christ:"

I see no "free-will" in play here. Thankfully, as His child, I am in His family to stay.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul in Romans 8 also agrees with you, as does Jude!

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus death was for all of MY sins, for all time, correct?

18. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 8 PM Pacific.

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Correct. "for our sins and not for our sins only but for the sins of the WHOLE WORLD" 1 John 2:2

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Read Romans 10 for "free will"
    Rom 10
    8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

And also John 1:11 "He came to His OWN and His OWN received Him not"
    2 Cor 5 "We BEG you on behalf of Christ be reconciled to God"
    Rev 3 "I stand at the door and knock if anyone hears my voice AND OPENS the door I will come in"

#140 BobRyan, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.