1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Particular Baptists

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Mar 17, 2017.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably true

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent thread. I use "Particular Baptist" NOT as an "association" or "convention" - myself or the churches we plant - are not part of anything more than a loose fellowship who hold to the old principles of "theology" that would be akin to Calvinistic soteriology.

We fellowship on occasion with the Founder's Ministry of the SBC (going back to JR Graves et al who held the same theology back when the SBC was founded). And may fellowship loosely with the ARBCA (Assoc of Reformed Baptist Churches) but they are much more into covenant theology.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Do you have issues with IFB?

4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Do you have issues with IFB?[/QUOTE]

"SURPRISE"... Gentlemen I'm BACK!... Brother Glen

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now to the question at hand about having wine in communion in the church... It was a total surprise to me if I did not understand wrong that Dr. Bob had wine in his church among the Particular Baptist . In the Primitive Baptist Church we always had wine during communion with unleavened made by the sisters and we were foot washers... Not feet washers as some say... ego you can only wash one foot at a time. Strong's has a lot of references to wine in the bible... Didn't find any grape juice mentioned... And in the wedding at Cana as I recall Jesus turned water into wine. Now I know in my church and the other churches we had fellowship with the question was not the use of wine or grape juice it was Mogen David (the brand of wine we used) but more the dispensing of it. Each church was responsible for it own mode of distribution alone. Usually the wine was put into small shot glasses and a glass was given to each participant. How much they drank was their choosing. As far as children are concerned I never observed any in communion in our church as I recall but again that was many years ago. That being said maybe Dr. Bob or someone else more familiar with how they handled children can address that. And before someone on here become unhinged and say children and wine, how about back in the day children and cough medicine?... The scriptures say... Jesus tread the winepress alone... Wine in communion seems scriptural to me... What did they drink in the upper room anyway?... Brother Glen

6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome back, Brother Glen!

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am IFB.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wait, Glen. You were gone??

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will start a thread on the "elements" of the Lord's Supper and their importance (in spite of Rev Welch's multi-million dollar teaching to NOT use wine)

10. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think God wants his people consuming alcoholic drinks?

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God condemns drunkenness, abuse of alcohol throughout the pages of Scripture. That is a "temperance" issue, not an "abstinence" issue. Like Tom, I am historic IFB (not the modern nonsense "X"ers that go around hijacking the name and adding to the fundamentals.

Which of the fundamentals of the faith say people cannot consume alcohol? Just need to be clear here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Let Gods word be the authority

“Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.”
    ‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭23:31-33‬ ‭KJV‬‬

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Let it. Context is important. One of the first things I was taught in Seminary is that "A text out of context is a pretext."

Had you quoted the previous verse, 30 "They that tarry long at the wine;
    they that go to seek mixed wine" you would have noticed it is drunkeness (tarrying long and going to seek) that is being condemned.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK.

Colossians 2

16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations—

21 “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,”
    22 which all concern things which perish with the using— according to the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

Sent from my Moto Droid Turbo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think very many churches call themselves 'Particular Baptist' these days. It is more usual for them to call themselves 'Reformed Baptist.'
    In Britain, the 'strict and Particular Baptist' denomination changed its name some years ago to 'Grace Baptist.'

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We generally say "Reformed" Baptist but totally independent/unaffiliated about our church. Problem? Most "reformed" type Baptists are rabidly "covenant theology" (which I hold to be greatly in error) and most reformed Baptist pastors are trained in Presbyterian schools (which hold deficient doctrinal/polity areas).

To be fair they don't want OUR type of church to be associated with them, either (they've probably heard me preach).

Using "Particular Baptist" harkens back to when that term WAS widely understood - Calvinistic doctrine of soteriology, but not all the other baggage of reformed theology.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Some of FB do not want to be associated with me because I like certain non Calvinist preachers like David Jeremiah and Ron Rhodes.

20. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Bob I'm beginning to wonder now if I was gone or wasn't gone? :confused: All I know is my last log in was July of last year... I lost eight months somewhere... Now where did I put that?... Oh well!!!... Brother Glen:Wink