1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor tells congregation to, "Love it or leave it!"

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Reformed, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not too bad. Last time I bought there, I paid $14.99 for 100 rounds of 9mm. I'm hoping to head out to the range next week and the only 9mm I have is hollow-point -- way too expensive to waste at the range.

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Friends, I am a political conservative, ideologically speaking. I oppose the Social Justice Movement in society as well as in the church. I am an unapologetic capitalist, believing that the free market is the only way to achieve economic prosperity for all socioeconomic classes. I am also an intolerant bigot (according to the opinion of the prevalent culture); opposing the culture of death in society (abortion and mistreatment of the elderly) as well as the sodomite social agenda that threatens the souls of our children and their posterity. However, I refuse to cast my lot in with any political party or movement that ignores the warning not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers (2 Corinthians 6:14-18). We are told not to participate in "the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them" (Ephesians 5:11). It is obvious that many of you disagree with me. Can we disagree without disparaging one another?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whooo you have made all kinds of claims without a single stitch of evidence. You simply spew your opinion. However to answer your question I consider your statement a black and white fallacy because there are more than two options.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good luck with that

5. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the reminder. I'm not my best self today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Enlighten me: What are the other options?

7. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and me both.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just because one has spoken of the country doesn't mean that they hold it above the Kingdom or the gospel. I don't happen to think what he did was smart. It just unnecessarily brings on controversy that is not helpful but the idea you have to speak to one or the other lest you be guilty of loving one above the other is absurd. It comes across as searching for a criticism and anything will do.

9. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I definitely support our President and I have no desire to compromise with the devil's in the other party. They hate Trump because he is a nationalist, but mostly because he will stack the court and end abortion. I have no desire to work with any person who wants to murder babies. Have you read the DNC platform? Why would you want to work with any of those perverts?
    The party platform is perverted.

#29 Reynolds, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was a pastor of a church, I found it difficult to build relationships with unbelievers since they tended to hold me at arms length because they assumed I would stand in judgment of their fallen situation. Now that I am not officially a pastor, I have many relationships with unbelievers and have had the privilege of seeing a number of them come to faith in Jesus. However, since the Trump campaign began in earnest in 2015 and prominent Christian leaders, especially Robert Jeffress at First Baptist Church Dallas (about 40 miles to the east of Fort Worth), jumped on the Trump train and blasted other Christians for not doing the same, I encounter difficulty sharing the gospel because too many unchurched people think I am trying to change their minds politically. They keep bringing up the latest Trump tweet or something that Franklin Graham has said about Trump and confuse that with the message of Jesus.

I have had more than a few new Christians ask me at church whether or not they can disagree with the President, since most of their other Christian friends seem to revel in the name-calling and bad behavior of the President toward "the liberals" (as many like to call non-Trump supporters). I have to point them to what Jesus taught in the gospels. But then they ask why some people loudly and proudly claim to be Christians, but they support things in the President and Republican Party that are literally antichrist.

So I am quite sensitive (as both a historic Baptist and a careful evangelist) to any mixing of of partisan politics with the message of the gospel of Jesus. The church must not send a mixed message. Putting purely political messages on a church's sign as their message to their community is an idolatrous pollution of the Kingdom of God with the kingdoms of the world that Jesus will one day judge.

I understand that and you get credit in my book for recognizing it. But it is worse than not being smart.

As an individual, I agree. But putting it on the official sign and messaging to the community is not absurb. It moves it into black and white territory.

You don't know me very well at all. I have better things to do than to critique the content of this site. However, this is a fundamental issue of the gospel, so it is worth a few minutes of analysis.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've stated this many times before, but I state it again. I am a third-generation Republican who was a Republican in the South when it was a dirty word. I still hold the same principles I have held back when I voted for Ronald Reagan. The Republican Party is the one that has changed and I no longer identify as a Republican since the current crop of Republicans have rejected almost all of their historic values. But that doesn't make me a Democrat, it makes me an independent since there is currently no party that represents my views. However, I will not support Donald Trump in his re-election bid because of my Christian convictions.

12. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know you meant this post for Baptist Believer but does it have to be an either-or proposition? Not putting politics before the Gospel means, well, not putting politics before the Gospel. The Gospel is preeminent. Any political or societal system that is unbiblical should be opposed, regardless of the political implications. I have never voted for a Democrat in my life and I doubt that I ever will. For me, abortion is a litmus test. But that is just one issue.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You will be defector voting for the baby murderers. What did you like about Reagan? He gave us terrible justices.

14. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I felt the same until the Democrat party became the Champions of evil. I have no desire to go to church with Democrats. Their platform is evil and I feel commanded to separate from them.(I cor 5:11)

15. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was not surprised that men like Jeffress and Falwell, Jr. actively campaigned for then-candidate Trump. I was more than surprised when those men (and others) excoriated other Christians who voiced their concerns about Trump. I guess I should not have been surprised. There is a class of Christians who have bought into the egalitarian view that the ends always justify the means. For them, there is no room for freedom of conscience even though they tout soul liberty as a Baptist distinctive. In the end, they were willing to separate with their brother in Christ for the sake of politics. It is no wonder why the American church is weak.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't defect, the Republican Party defected. And you will be voting for an immoral man who cannot seem tell the truth, nor admit he is wrong. You are voting for the corruption of the American ideals and an attacker of the First Amendment (speech, religion, and press) and the rule of law.

He was what the US needed at the time. Carter was not up to the demands of the office and Mondale was not much of a candidate. I also supported most of the Republican platform of the time.

I didn't care for Scalia at all, so I agree with that one. I don't have much of an opinion on O'Connor, but I tended to like Kennedy.

17. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trump is the ideal American.
    You have no opinion on O'Connor? Seriously?

18. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have completely different perspectives on what is ideal, much less what an American is supposed to be.

She was hit or miss to me. I didn't like her position on school vouchers, but she was usually pretty good on religious liberty issues. She was a mixed bag on abortion. So there were things I liked and things I didn't like.

19. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prior to Sotomayor she was the most liberal justice ever.

20. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no issues with Christians who support - even those who strongly support - the President. I generally approved the President's appointments of Gorsuch and Kavanaugh. I am glad that he was willing to meet with Kim Jong Un. I approve of his making public his strong ties with Israel and his pulling out of the Paris Climate Accord and the Iran nuclear deal. Policy-wise he deserves a favorable rating. So, the purpose of this thread was not to rail against the President. The purpose of this thread was to focus a spotlight on the message of the church to the outside world. The church referenced in the news article was making a political statement, not a gospel or biblical statement. In my opinion, that is the problem. Our birthright as joint-heirs with Christ is not political influence, rather it is to do kingdom work.