1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pastor warns Christians not to play Mega Millions lotto

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Mar 30, 2012.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Option one, a form of gambling is a vice which many become addicted to. Look up the history. It has been the ruin of many a family. The result: poverty, broken homes, needless addiction, etc. For that reason it, in and of itself, is evil.

Your last option, if it is in your means to do so, can be enjoyable fellowship with other believers. Some of the best fellowship we have is around a table of food interacting with others.

#21 DHK, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, that is not correct. Jesus spoke of wise investments. He chastised the servant who did not put the money he did have into a place where it could earn interest. He commended investment. He commended the wise use of money, not the foolish use of money.

Your argument would be that all of life is a risk. Once I take a step out of my house (or even in my house) it is a risk. Every virus I meet is a risk.

Prov.29:25: The fear of man is a snare; but whoso puts his trust in the Lord shall be safe.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Its called answering a question with a question, you know like Jesus used to do quite often.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Hey! Fal, If you don't answer to the OP, your post will be deleted!! :laugh:

5. Godspeaks2me

Godspeaks2me New Member

Most all thing's that are not hurting other's or yourself are okay in moderation. That being said, spending (1) dollar for a lottery ticket "That's how much one mega millions ticket cost's is not wrong or sin.

I think saying so is not only un-biblical but making a mountain out of a mole hill. The love of money is a sin according to the bible not having it. Think how much more good a fellow Christian like yourself could do with 400 million, rather then it go to someone that will blow through it on vanity and such.

One fun fact is that buying a $1 lottery ticket instead of 50 dollar's worth does not really increase your chance of winning at all.

Now we all can do like many do here and twist the scripture to outlaw the Mega Millions Lottery, as we can manipulate scripture to outlaw most anything if we wanted to. I find it pointless to argue over such silly things.

Those who argue over someone buying a lottery ticket for a dollar in my eye's would argue over anything is the situation presented itself and that would make life very depressing.

6. Godspeaks2me

Godspeaks2me New Member

DHK, Freeatlast was acting a bit childish and you admonished him for it. However, you go onto do the same exact thing. Perhaps you should not expect things out of other's that you yourself cannot do. Perhaps people will take you more serious if your practice what your preach. Sorry, if I sound a bit abrasive but I just thought you should be aware of this.

7. Godspeaks2me

Godspeaks2me New Member

The addiction to the internet has broken up and ruined many family's as well, yet, here we sit ( Some much more longer then other's ).

Anything can be addicting, just because something can be addicting does not mean other's who do not have addicting nature's should not freely be able to do it.

8. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Just so FAL can say he got an answer to the OP:

If he is saying that playing the lottery at all is biblically a sin, he is pushing towards legalism, Since the bible does not address it.

Warning people to not to do foolish things with money they cannot afford to lose is sound, as long as he is giving it as advice and not "thus saith the Lord."

9. 12strings

12strings Active Member

So your answer is: NO, there is nothing sinful about it ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE...got it.

10. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You know I've made this challenge before and no one answered me: show us where gambling is prohibited in Scripture.

Also, I'm adding this one, how is "casting lots" for leadership, spiritual things, etc different than gambling?

11. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't see a problem with buying a lottery ticket if:

A. The chances of winning are understood to be nil.
    B. There is not a problem (addiction to some) with gambling.
    C. The money spent is disposable and not comming out of baby's supper.

I would bet that quite a few preachers, having learned one of the members of the congregation won $500,000,000 would preach on tithing the next Sunday morning.:smilewinkgrin:

(Off the gross, of course)

12. Godspeaks2me

Godspeaks2me New Member

Even though this was partially a joke, it is a very good point. I would rather the money won be circulated through our church's then it be taken to Vegas and used to for whatever they do in Vegas.

13. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you a preacher?:laugh:

14. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I've never read it was so.

15. Godspeaks2me

Godspeaks2me New Member

:laugh: No, but all this talk about the Mega Million's made me run down to the store and snag one for tonights drawing! If I win are you going to send me a visitor invite to your local church? :laugh: :applause:

16. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ah, I am but a simple layman; however...:laugh:

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There are two types of "casting lots." One is preceded by prayer and divinely ordained by prayer. We see that example in Matthew one, where Matthias is chosen by God to be the twelfth apostle. It wasn't a gamble. God used the lots to ordain or choose Matthias.

They were used wickedly to gamble by unsaved men. We have an example here:

Matthew 27:35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.

His "vesture" was a seamless coat. They didn't want to tear it, so they gambled for it. I don't know where anyone has looked favorable upon the soldiers actions here.

It was about the same time as this that Christ called out for their forgiveness, but especially for those that crucified him.

Luke 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The board has rules and you arte violating them by using bully tactics and name calling and highjacking a thread. You are high jacking the thread and that violates the rules. I posed the question not you. Please answer the question with answers not questions or don't post.

#38 freeatlast, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Stop the bully tactics

20. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christians do gamble. And that is sad. But it is very addicted. And that means lottery. Unfortunately this is get rich quick nation. As people will do anything and sadly go to lengths, to get a lottery ticket and win, any lottery ticket. One out of a trillion chances you would win.