1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured pastoral expectations

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by abcgrad94, Sep 5, 2013.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Acts 6:2 Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables.
    Acts 6:4 But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.

How much time in preparation do you think the apostles needed, after having spent three years of quality time with the Lord Jesus Christ himself.

#61 DHK, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it does for two reasons. 1.) You have no idea what you are talking about. You do not understand the weight of preaching the word of God to His people week in and week out being careful to lead His people toward Him and the weight of the need to represent Him with all caution and carefulness. This is not just some task. It requires a tender carefulness that does not fit into a pragmatic time frame.

And 2.) To be willing to understand this does not fit into your personal and ignorant narrative that is completely devoid of any understanding of what it is to deliver God's message every week.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh,you mean the godless PM you sent me after hypocritically telling folks that you had turned over the proverbial new leaf.

More examples of your spiritual immaturity and evidence that you should not hold a church office.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    3 Days Brother .... Is that from start to finish & do you rehearse from the pulpit?

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not put a time on it. Like Mex there have been times when a sermon takes all week. Regardless of how much knows there Bible praying and waiting on the peace of God to make sure you are in sync with Him. There is more to preparing a sermon than just knowing scripture. This is not a political speech, or some secular speech. You are endeavoring to represent God. Jesus Himself spent much time in prayer. Delivering a sermon should be done in the power and demonstration of the Spirit of God. As has been said many times when we enter the pulpit we can either show the people God, or we can show them ourselves, but we can never show them both.

I would not give two cents for a sermon or a preacher who so carelessly spends so little time in preparation. They need to repent and learn to be more careful.

It is a fearful thing to be in the hands of a living God. We better take that idea with us into the pulpit. Bailey Smith said some years ago that what this world needs is pulpits full of men who have been to the cross and have never gotten over it.

When we handle the preparation and delivery of God's word in such a careless manner that it becomes just another task that is to be completed in a pragmatic manner then we leave God out of it altogether and walk into the pulpit devoid of any true message from God regardless of how much Bible we know.

#65 Revmitchell, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'll be sure to tell my pastor he is ignorant and doesn't understand the 'weight of preaching', and is not cautious and tender enough in using only Tuesday as his prep day.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's part of the job. Shepherding the flock is THE job.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

After His death they still didn't fully believe or grasp who He was. Apparently those three years weren't even enough time.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have sat under shallow teaching, which is what you get when a pastor only spends a little time in preparation, and believe me, it does NOT feed the sheep!

I am thankful to God for the pastor I have now, who spends many hours a week in the word.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ve sat under great pastors who were “ok” preachers and great preachers who were just “ok”(some terrible) pastors.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I think the ones truly called of God can do both.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And just three days after that Peter preached one of the most powerful sermons recorded in history. 3,000 were saved that day. By the time you get to chapter six the church at Jerusalem is far too big for the twelve apostles to administer themselves. The church must appoint seven other men to help the apostles. One of them was Christianity's first martyr; another was a great evangelist. By this time the church, according to some records, exceeded 200,000. And Peter didn't have much understanding or power???

13. RIPP0NWV

RIPP0NWV New Member

Have you ever made one positive post?

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WV: Before making absurd charges -- check the archives.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jonathan Edwards spent 13 hours a day studying. John Gill probably spent as much. James Boice of the 20th century devoted his ministry time for study and sermon delivery only as a condition of accepting the pastorate of 10th Presbyterian Church. If there are other capable men in the congregation they can do vistation and other ministerial functions. Some preachers need to spend all available time for pulpit prep.,that also means little to no admintrative duties.

One size doesn't fit all. Blessed are those who labor in the Word.

16. RIPP0NWV

RIPP0NWV New Member

I stand by every word. You are just not right.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can sit on your lies WV (S/N).

On the contrary,I have been made righteous.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He had plenty of supernatural understanding and power at that point. How many hours did he prepare for his sermon?

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If one is spending all available time studying, when is shepherding of the flock taking place? Surely a 45 minute speech once or twice a week isn't supposed to cut it.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had indicated that some preachers by design and cooperation of their congregation devote themselves exclusively to the ministry of the Word. Large churches with a good-sized staff of elders and deacons do the visitation and administrative duties.

I'm from a Plymouth Brethren background originally. And some of the teachings still apply. The church is a body. It should not center around one man --THE preacher. I believe in the plurality of elders (and deacons for that matter). Shepherding of the flock is not the exclusive task of one man.

I wouldn't characterize sermons as speeches. Two sermons per week are time-consuming in preparation and invaluable for the lives of the saints.

#80 Rippon, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013