1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Recommendations for College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Dr. Bob, Feb 24, 2002.

?
  1. Secular university/college/trade school

22.2%
  2. Local secular Junior college

31.5%
  3. Baptist university/college - secular accredited

7.4%
  4. Baptist university/college - not accredited

35.2%
  5. Bible college for at least ONE year

1.9%
  6. Bible college

1.9%
  7. No formal higher education

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree Sam. We have some "strange birds" out there masquerading as Bible Colleges. We have seen some youth head there and come back disillusioned or discouraged over BOTH extremes - license and legalism!

I found our good local Jr College is a great place. They can live at home, cheap tuition, stay involved and ministering in a local church, and gain a year or two more maturity.

And since I teach the philosophy course there, they can have me as a professor!!

2. kwob02

kwob02 New Member

I must echo the previous post. That is an excellent idea. I found that a junior college is a pretty good place to go to school, provided you check into the accreditation and make sure the credits will transfer. Community colleges, those run by county boards or regional boards, are fully accredited, and there are also some good private ones too, even some good Baptist junior colleges.

Unfortunately, in my case, I had pretty much left the church by the time I got around to going to junior college, but there were plenty of Christian groups operating on the campus and plenty of ministry opportunities for students in the local community. And the local churches were not bashful in making their presence felt on the campus, either.

3. dfd2

dfd2 New Member

I personally went to a christian campus my first year and a hald then finished up at a secualr college. I would suggest the student to go to a good secular university for a number of reasons.
    1. You have to actually live your faith on a secualr campus. You are going to be challenged and offended alot, but in mmy view that is a good thing. What i saw on christian campus was that well everyone is a christian mentality and there wasnt any ctalyze for growth or real "living". 2. Youll get out from the bubble of christian protection, it seems to me that alot of kids frow up iin church, go to a christian school, go to a christian college and never life in the "real" world, they are sheltered from the babylon of society adn how it really is. It's easy to be a christian when its easy, but when you have to make a stand and fight for your faith it becomes yours, not just what youve always done. 3. LAstly, you will really grow, there are really good christian campus ministries where you can join together with like minded christians to stand up in the midst of the secular onslaught. one more thing was that on a secular campus it was only the christinas taht wanted to go to bible study etc that went, the kids growing up in church fell away. So instead of being sheltered on a secualr campus youll get a true test of how real your faith is. Whether or not your faith is just your parents or is it truly yours. I beleive you dont get that if you go to a christian college.

4. Momto3JD

Momto3JD New Member

If my children wanted to get a high tech education, I would send them to a state school as long as they lived at home. No dorms with the unsaved!

If my children were at all interested in education and teaching I would avoid unaccredited colleges because then they are boxed in to teach at Christian schools.

If my children felt called to the Lord's work I would encourage BJU or another larger scale Christian College but I would definatley avoid these "colleges" that are nothing more then glorified Sunday school classes.

Just my opinion.