1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

pray obama fails?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ps104_33, Jan 20, 2009.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I agree. I am not necessarily a Warren fan or detractor, but if we can talk about 'nailing' a prayer he did it

2. PeterM

PeterM Member

Ultimately we won't know until we get to heaven and ask. Did Jesus laugh? Just because the Scriptures do not specifically say that He did does mean that He didn't. The Lord called you and me "enemy" before our own redemption. I would rather be referred to as a bitch-fox by God than "enemy", The Scriptures specifiaclly and intentionally lead us to pray for our leaders whether we perceive they are good or evil.

May the Lord find us faithful in loving and praying for our leaders.

#42 PeterM, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2009
  3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I get it and I understand that you compared our President to Hitler. Which is, under any circumstance, unacceptable. I want America to be successful. If Obama fails, so will our country. We can't afford failed leaders. Obama's views on abortion and homosexuality are unacceptable. I pray that the Lord will change his mind.

4. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Thank you. I can't watch, so I will wait until I can read it.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Unfortunatly, Obama and our country failing might be in God's plan to turn hearts back towards Him. I don't know. But I know that God's will and His plan is sovereign. I pray His will be done on earth as it is in heaven - whatever that may bring us.

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Scripture commands us to pray for our leaders (1Tim 2:1-6, Rom 13:5-10, Titus 3:1-2, 1Pet 2:13-17) therefore I safely assume Jesus prayed for Herod. That does not mean Jesus approved of Herod, that Paul approved of Nero, but it does mean that they prayed for those placed in positions of leadership (Dan 2:21). So should we.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I agree and join you in that prayer.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes we should pray that God stands against the evil Obama has planned. And in all things God's will be done.

9. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I have to go to work now so I will end with this.
    Be careful what you pray for. God may give it to you.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

Alcott, I didn't vote for Obama, and I disagree with his policies by and large.

But your disrespect and pseudo-profane comments are most inappropriate, IMO.

11. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

1 Timothy 2:1-4: 2:1 First of all, then, I urge that requests, prayers, intercessions, and thanks be offered on behalf of all people, 2:2 even for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. 2:3 Such prayer for all is good and welcomed before God our Savior, 2:4 since he wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

To not do so seems to deny Scripture and the Gospel.

12. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What a horrible post Alcott. You need to ask forgiveness and repent. What a horrible post and statement.

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And was it "horrible" on Jesus' part to call Herod that same name, yet pray for him also, as some have claimed on this thread?

14. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I wonder how many times that post will be reported!

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - Accusation is here, I looked it up and couldn't find where Jesus used those terms. Can you give me the reference?

#55 annsni, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2009
  16. PeterM

PeterM Member

For the Lord God to refer to Herod in that way is His right and privilege, for He knows the hearts of men and women. We, however, do not have any right to show contempt toward anyone.

It has been said by those who are far wiser than I that how we love others reveals what we believe about how we have been loved by the Lord. By your comments, you are revealing your own heart and mind...

17. PeterM

PeterM Member

Luke 13:32

31 At that very hour some Pharisees came and said to him, “Get away from here, for Herod wants to kill you.” 32 And he said to them, “Go and tell that fox, ‘Behold, I cast out demons and perform cures today and tomorrow, and the third day I finish my course. 33 Nevertheless, I must go on my way today and tomorrow and the day following, for it cannot be that a prophet should perish away from Jerusalem.’ 34 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not! 35 Behold, your house is forsaken. And I tell you, you will not see me until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!’”

From the Greek:

31 Ἐν αὐτῇ τῇ ὥρᾳ προσῆλθάν τινες Φαρισαῖοι λέγοντες αὐτῷ, Ἔξελθε καὶ πορεύου ἐντεῦθεν, ὅτι Ἡρῴδης θέλει σε ἀποκτεῖναι.32 καὶ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς, Πορευθέντες εἴπατε τῇ ἀλώπεκι ταύτῃ, Ἰδοὺ ἐκβάλλω δαιμόνια καὶ ἰάσεις ἀποτελῶ σήμερον καὶ αὔριον καὶ τῇ τρίτῃ τελειοῦμαι.33 πλὴν δεῖ με σήμερον καὶ αὔριον καὶ τῇ ἐχομένῃ πορεύεσθαι, ὅτι οὐκ ἐνδέχεται προφήτην ἀπολέσθαι ἔξω Ἰερουσαλήμ.34 Ἰερουσαλὴμ Ἰερουσαλήμ, ἡ ἀποκτείνουσα τοὺς προφήτας καὶ λιθοβολοῦσα τοὺς ἀπεσταλμένους πρὸς αὐτήν, ποσάκις ἠθέλησα ἐπισυνάξαι τὰ τέκνα σου ὃν τρόπον ὄρνις τὴν ἑαυτῆς νοσσιὰν ὑπὸ τὰς πτέρυγας, καὶ οὐκ ἠθελήσατε.35 ἰδοὺ ἀφίεται ὑμῖν ὁ οἶκος ὑμῶν. λέγω [δὲ] ὑμῖν, οὐ μὴ ἴδητέ με ἕως [ἥξει ὅτε] εἴπητε, Εὐλογημένος ὁ ἐρχόμενος ἐν ὀνόματι κυρίου.

The word in question:

273 ἀλώπηξ (alōpēx), εκος (ekos), (): n.fem.; ≡ Str 258—1. LN 4.10 fox, an animal (Mt 8:20; Lk 9:58+); 2. LN 88.120 wickedly crafty person, adj. figurative extension of adj. fox, long adj. figure of adj. crafty person (Lk 13:32+), some attribute this figure as adj. worthless person, or even an insignificant person.Swanson, J. (1997). Dictionary of Biblical Languages with Semantic Domains : Greek (New Testament) (electronic ed.) (GGK273). Oak Harbor: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

To translate the word "Bitch-Fox" is a poor rendering at best. The word appears to be feminine at its root. Therefore Jesus is not adding the feminine to be derrogatory. Actually, in some older renderings it seems that the word was translated "Jackel".

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll stick to Christ's model: Deliver us from evil.

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

Sorry to disappoint you, but that was in Warren's prayer. :saint:

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 13:32; although I see someone else has answered that. But be it known that I have deleted that post which was under the guise of a prayer, which it was not (although I would say most prayers I hear are really talking to or about something else than to the One they are addressed).