1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PREVENIENT GRACE: AN ARMINIAN ERROR

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Barry Johnson, Nov 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My sheep hear me is what Jesus stated, not all sinners!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Absolutely true, dont let them take away your confidence in the LORD, without being elected you can not be saved.
    Acts 18 is interesting in that Apollos was a man with an amazing ability to preach and convince others of the truths about Christ in the scriptures, yet we read that they believed by grace, not Apollos's preaching...

Ephesians 2:4 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved)

Acts 18

25 This man had been instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in spirit, he spoke and taught accurately the things of the Lord, though he knew only the baptism of John. 26 So he began to speak boldly in the synagogue. When Aquila and Priscilla heard him, they took him aside and explained to him the way of God more accurately. 27 And when he desired to cross to Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him; and when he arrived, he greatly helped those who had believed through grace;

also does v16 proves that it is by grace that you have faith so the the promise of eternal life is made sure too all the children of God.
    Yout faith is according to God's grace for you, otherwise you would have no faith.

Romans 4
    16 Therefore it is of faith that it might be according to grace, so that the promise might be sure to all the seed, not only to those who are of the law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all 17 (as it is written, “I have made you a father of many nations”) in the presence of Him whom he believed—God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did; 18 who, contrary to hope, in hope believed, so that he became the father of many nations, according to what was spoken, “So shall your descendants be.” 19 And not being weak in faith, he did not consider his own body, already dead (since he was about a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah’s womb. 20 He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God,

21 and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform. 22 And therefore “it was accounted to him for righteousness.”

23 Now it was not written for his sake alone that it was imputed to him, 24 but also for us.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They have to explain what Jesus meant when he stated let those who have ears hear, as that assumes not all can
    hear" him with understanding

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about this battle?

5. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Choose all people for what ? Why are you talking about the word ' choose ' now ?

6. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes that's it . Jesus was on a UN mission .

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus draws all who will be drawn ?

I notice the NKJV is selected here .
    Jesus ' attracts ' .
    Kjv And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

John 1.9
    The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

8He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

9That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

John 16 .
    7Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, i will send him unto you .

8And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9Of sin, because they believe not on me;

10Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

11Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

Conviction of the Holy Spirit is necessary for salvation, but occurs to sinners alike, regardless of consequent faith or unbelief. It is not irresistible or unconditionally selective. (Jn. 16:7-11)

8. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are clueless about God's Sovereignty and his devotion of humans to destruction, I cannot help you. The text informs you.

9. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cannot help you in your ignorance, Barry.

10. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I notice you cannot accept the greek word and its meaning.

11. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its says ' draw ' . How difficult would it have been to say dragged?

12. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure you recite the confessions every morning before breakfast .

13. Sai

Sai Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    THE LORD HAS DONE GREAT THINGS

Joy unspeakable full of glory

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ask yourself why Arminians want to use the English word "draw" rather than "drag" when they translate? They do this despite the fact that everywhere else they translate the greek word as drag in English.
    Unfortunately, people such as yourself, do not give up their self easily...even after God has saved them by dragging them out of the fire.
    Frankly, I see it as shockingly arrogant on your part. You actually will fight to demand your own supremacy over God, despite the fact that he saved you from your hopeless predicament.

15. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which translation says ' drag ' ?

16. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi Barry,
    We would likewise agree with Dr Roger Olson on this one and partially with the Calvinists on what you said so far. I heard Dr Roger Olson say one time he believed in a sort of “Half-Regeneration” prior to Justification. I agree and understand where he is coming from. I really do understand where you are coming from too. I don’t know if I should try to answer here or maybe start a new thread on Prevenient Grace. To introduce my view I definitely need to say a lot in the beginning so you get a good picture. I’m Catholic so, of course, mine is different from all of your views.

17. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you mean you are Roman catholic? Or are you claiming to be the universal Church, of which all the elect make up the Catholic Church?

18. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi Barry,
    Awesome! I agree. I especially like Jer 7:15.

19. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I mean I am Roman Catholic.

20. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    from: Is Prevenient Grace in the Bible? by Joseph M. Gleason – Grace Online Library

The doctrine of original sin leads to one of two conclusions: God’s Sovereignty in salvation, or an Arminian version of prevenient grace. Both Calvinists and Arminians say they believe in original sin. Adam was the father of the human race, and when he sinned, his sin was imputed to all of his children, including you and me. Adam died spiritually, and all humans ever since have come into the world dead in sin, with no righteousness whatsoever, and no thirst for God at all.

For Calvinists, the conclusion is simple. Before we can become believers, the heart of stone must be replaced with a heart of flesh (Ezekiel 36:28). Until God works regeneration in a person’s heart, faith in Christ for salvation is impossible (John 6:44). But after God regenerates the heart, a person will certainly come to Christ and be saved (John 6:37). Whether dead in sin or alive to Christ, we always choose according to our nature.

Arminians, though, do not accept the doctrine of election. They do not believe that God is Sovereign over the salvation of people. Therefore, they do not follow the doctrine of original sin to a Calvinistic conclusion. They bypass the Scriptures that speak of God’s Sovereign control over whom He will save, and whom He will not. Instead, to fill the gap, they postulate the doctrine of “prevenient grace”, which I hope to show is without biblical warrant.

The word “prevenient” (or “preventing”) means “coming before, preceding, or antecedent.” According to Wesleyan/Arminianism, God’s prevenient grace counteracts our total deadness in sin but doesn’t totally regenerate us either. According to Arminians, God awakens us even in our unregenerate state, so that all sinners have a real “chance” to turn to God for salvation. But Arminian prevenient grace does not guarantee salvation. According to Arminians, God gives prevenient grace to everybody, hoping that some will respond and be saved, but knowing that most will choose to return to spiritual death.

The Arminian doctrine of prevenient grace fits into their overall scheme of theology and enables them to maintain the doctrine of original sin and yet reject God’s Sovereignty in salvation, therefore rejecting unconditional election as well.

But the biggest problem with Arminian “prevenient grace” is that there is no clear Biblical support for it. Not once does Scripture speak of prevenient grace that “enables” salvation without also assuring salvation. The doctrine seems nice to Arminians, but can be found nowhere in the Bible.

One of the key reasons “prevenient grace” sounds so nice to people is because it implies God’s desire for *every* person to be saved. But does the Bible teach that this is really God’s desire? If we can clearly show from Scripture that God does *not* desire the salvation of all people, then we will have succeeded in greatly weakening the unbiblical doctrine of “prevenient grace”.

con't at Is Prevenient Grace in the Bible? by Joseph M. Gleason – Grace Online Library

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.