1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about a Catholic litany

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Speedpass, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

except for maybe the unborn, in regard to their public stance/programs against abortion or maybe the sick, since there's a Catholic operated hospital in every major city and maybe the poor, since Catholic charities and services to the poor are without a doubt some of the best in the country...

In XC
    -

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That sounds like a definition for the Shriners, or another similar service organization. I was using a New Testement Church that is charged with spreading the Gospel and accomplishing God's work here on earth. The about elements you list about are a byproduct of the church, not the church.

3. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

really, you shouldn't comment to things you're not familiar with and obviously you're not the slightest familiar with any of the services the Catholic Church offers to the local community not only here in the US, but the whole world in general...which is also an important element Christ discussed per Matthew Chapter 25. In doing so, the message of Christ, of love, of salvation is spread. It's obvious based on your drive by pot shots at the Catholic Church that you really don't have a clue as to what the Church is and role the Church plays not only in the lives of Christians but in the community as well.

In XC
    -

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I am familiar enough, been to enough of your services, read enough of your theology, studied enough of your history, to know that in relation to a Holy God, it is a useless and evil entity. The services that the Catholic Church offers are charity based, not Gospel, or Scripturally based. The physical needs of human beings, although they should be a part of any ministry, are not the focus of a New Testement Church, Jesus Christ and the Gospel and the focus. The Gospel is spread by proclaiming the Word, not as a byproduct of charity. Your priorities are way out of wack. These are not drive by pot shots. It could be more described as anything I can do to put a stop to the nonsense.

5. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

shew fly...

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Good advice for the Catholic Church and their sympathizers. Why are you in a Baptist faith forum anyhow?

7. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

i'm in the 'other christian denominations' section of a baptist forum...in case you didn't know, there's 'baptist only' sections for baptists to discuss/disagree among themselves in regarding a broad range of theolological topics...

In XC
    -

8. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Funny, that: you see the Catholics say that that's exactly what they are; indeed, they say they are more the New Testament Church than the rest of us...

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Many Protestant denominations have a similar foundation in areas to the Baptist, such as Presbyterian, Methodist, and Lutheran. Catholics have none. It is one thing to have differences about method of Baptism, methods of church order, or church government, it is quite another to have a completely different Gospel, other than faith in Jesus Christ alone. We have one mediator to the Lord, and that is Jesus Christ. We do not need your local priest, cardinal, bishop, and pope baby passing along the message, neither do we need a collection of saints to give us advice.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

How can an organization that cannot even understand the message of the Gospel be a NT church? Regardless of what "they" say, I will stick with what I have.

11. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Again, the irony is that I've heard many a Catholic say the same about Baptists...I don't have a particular dog in this fight but just find it interesting...

[ETA - "I'll stick with what I have", eh? Imagine if the Jewish hearers in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost had all said that!]

#91 Matt Black, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
  12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I understand what you are saying, and within the context of the Gospel, tend to stay away from debates. For example, this is why I tend to stay away from concepts like the Baptist Bride and other type theories. It gets down to I am right and you are wrong.

However, in the broader context, the dividing line is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The Jews that you mentioned at Pentecost were on the other side of the line. Catholics are on the other side of the the line, out of context. The Gospel is one of those small issues I regard as an essential.

13. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

and just what is the Gospel of Jesus Christ in your context...

In XC
    -

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It is not my context, it is from the Bible. The Gospel is faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross. Nothing else saves, nothing added. But then again, you know exactly what Baptists believe, and you also know what Catholics add to it. If in fact, you have read the Bible, if in fact you have read Catholic doctrine, and you have any common sense, then you cannot reconcile the two. There is no need for me to list the many aspects of garbage that Catholics have added to the Gospel. It only takes one to be out of context as you say.

15. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Actually, I know many Catholics who have read the Bible*, do subscribe to Catholic doctrine, have common sense and yet manage to hold the whole package together...go figure...

*Depends whether you mean with or without the Apocrypha, I guess, but that's a whole different thread...:D

16. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Question. Did Jesus preach a different gospel than John the Baptist?

17. billwald

billwald New Member

Jesus preached a different gospel than St Paul.

18. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you think?

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Looks like not very well to me. We have been down this same, old, tired road about different Gospels of Paul, John, etc. The Bible is in harmony, so no they did not. If they had of preached different Gospels, it would have made little difference, as the one Jesus preached here on earth is the correct one.

And none of that matters to this thread anyhow. If the Catholic church disappeared today in totality, it would not make one iota of difference except maybe to get the Gospel spread quicker and more coming to the Lord.

20. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

this is too funny...here's a news flash for ya...none, not one iota of the protestant churches we have today existed for roughly 1,520 years since Pentecost...The "Gospel of Jesus Christ" wasn't lost when the Apostles died only to be resurrected by the Baptist Church in the 16th Century...

In XC
    -

*Edit...I'm catholic, but not Roman...btw

-

#100 Agnus_Dei, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.