1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Rapture Top Dogs Admit no Proof Exists

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by 1689Dave, Jul 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They pulled Walvoord's book off the market and produced "sterilized" second edition. My quotes are from the original.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't he see AD 70 as time when prophecy was fulfilled?

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, that is interesting. I was surprised at your first quotation by Walvoord. People who believe in pre-trib usually consider all other views heretical in my experience.

What event do you think precedes the first resurrection?

4. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    It can happen today.

5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is more than the final resurrection, It happens everyday, children of God are resurrected everyday to newness of life... Brother Glen:)

Ephesians 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)

2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obviously, if Scripture were plain about it, we wouldn't be arguing about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no need for ad hominem type statements.

Note that you used "verses" plural, and in so doing you proved the point I was attempting to make.

This is my point Again - there are several NT concepts especially within the realm of eschatology as well as others (e.g. The Kenosis, the Hypostatic Union, etc)
    which depend on an inference of more than one verse of scripture in response to your statement that you did not accept teachings which come from inference.

That is all.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Y - that is why I supplied the verses to illustrate its usage.

9. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are pre-trib. Why don't you just say so up front?

10. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    The rapture happens AFTER the resurrection.

“For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.” (1 Thessalonians 4:16–17)

11. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the New Birth begins the resurrection completed on the last day with the resurrection of our bodies.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So to understand you correctly, you would not say that the resurrection of the saved dead and the living Christians are simultaneous?

If you look at Revelation 19, as I am sure that you have, you will see that Jesus, the Blessed Hope, returns to fight the battle of Armageddon. And then Satan was locked up in hell for a thousand years. And then was the first resurrection.

Titus 2:13 (KJV) Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

If you are pre-trib, okay with me. I lost interest in dispensationalism a few years ago. Since I was fortunate enough to visit Kentucky almost a year ago, I have become quite interested in young earth creationism (YEC). That doctrine also makes people very angry and so one has to keep it to one's self in American churches, also. There were some English clergy who never adopted Darwin in the early 19th century, and perhaps some in the USA whose names have been lost. Dr. Terry Mortenson of www.answersingenesis.org listed these men in a doctoral thesis that he wrote while living and studying in England at Coventry University: Granville Penn (1761-1844), George Bugg (1769-1851), Andrew Ure (1778-1857), George Fairholme )1789-1846), John Murray (1786?-1851), George Young (1772-1848), William Rhind (1797-1874) [from The Great Turning Point]. As you can see the British foisted not only Darby off on the church but also Darwin in the nineteenth century. :Biggrin:Biggrin:Biggrin

13. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul says the rapture follows the resurrection of the righteous dead. “For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.” (1 Thessalonians 4:16–17)

This happens on the same day according to Jesus.“And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day.” (John 6:39)ESV

This would precede the resurrection of the wicked. “Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.” (John 5:28–29)

14. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't that what I said?

I am trying to see if you have a timetable for the first resurrection and the return of the Blessed Hope or if you are promoting the agenda of the Englishman Darby, not that I care about that point of theology because Americans will attack anyone who does not believe with Darby.

15. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    The resurrection happens on the last day and it is the restoration of Israel (God's elect in Christ). This happens in the new heavens and earth that emerges as this present universe explodes in fire according to Peter. It can happen any time now with nothing needing fulfillment that precedes it.

16. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, that's John Nelson Darby, born in Westminster and died in Bournemouth. Revelation says that the second resurrection happens a thousand years after the first, but Darby did his own thing I guess.

17. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first resurrection is the new birth completed in the resurrection of the body on the last day. The resurrections of the just and the wicked are not 1000 years apart, but perhaps an hour or so on the last day. When John speaks of the first resurrection he speaks of the new birth where we are presently seated with Christ on David's throne in heaven as his body.

18. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that in your first edition that was later taken out of subsequent editions?

19. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    The removed Walvoord's admission that scripture does not support a pre-trib rapture.

20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually histprical PreMil holds with the 1000 years also, and some of the ECF held to that viewpoint, 1800 years before Darby even was born!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.